Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jul 26, 2005, 12:34 AM   #951

Jon,

I found that when I double clicked IP8500.plist it opened in an application I didn't recognise and didn't even know I had and I saw the number 1 in its window.

I didn't see the dialog you mentioned i.e.
<dict><key>CDRInfo</key><integer>1</integer>
which I presume has to be accessed via the "terminal utility?" or sometthing else.

I also saw iP_8600.plist in the same folder???

Am I getting anywhere because none of this seems to relate to the expected results from following the suggested procedure.

I sure would like to put this dilemma to rest and be able to print on disks.

Thanks for your thoughts,

GeneL
GeneL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2005, 1:42 AM   #952

GeneL wrote:
Quote:
Jon,

I found that when I double clicked IP8500.plist it opened in an application I didn't recognise and didn't even know I had and I saw the number 1 in its window.

I didn't see the dialog you mentioned i.e.
<dict><key>CDRInfo</key><integer>1</integer>
which I presume has to be accessed via the "terminal utility?" or sometthing else.

I also saw iP_8600.plist in the same folder???

Am I getting anywhere because none of this seems to relate to the expected results from following the suggested procedure.

I sure would like to put this dilemma to rest and be able to print on disks.

GeneL

I believe that since your system is showingiP_8600.plist (I know nothing about Macs) that you have not properly set the destination code.

For the ip4000 the destination settings are as follows:

[align=left]1 time-Japan: iP4100[/align]

[align=left]2 times-Other than Japan, non-support of CD-R printing (A4): iP4000[/align]

[align=left]3 times-Other than Japan, non-support of CD-R printing (LTR): iP4000 (LTR)[/align]

[align=left]4 times-Other than Japan, support of CD-R printing (A4): iP4000[/align]

[align=left]5 times-Other than Japan, support of CD-R printing (LTR): iP4000 (LTR)[/align]

[align=left]If you notice the first setting is Japan: ip4100, for the ip8500 the same setting would change it to Japan ip8600[/align]

[align=left]Since you have the ip8600 listed in your system that may be what the destination is set to. Have checked wether you are able to print to the iP8600 in the print dialogue. I would assumethe Mac lets you choose which printer to send to like windows.[/align]
CanonFodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2005, 8:17 AM   #953

You probally haven't correctly set the destination code ... I had this problem too,
Not mac or OS specific-- tested on imac , ibook and G5.

1. Try to set dest. code AGAIN
2. remove all generic canon drives that are preloaded with OSX

Library/Preferences/Canon <----- entire directory (folder) has generic canon drivers

3. Reinstall ENG version of canon drivers to be safe - avoid US drivers
4. check plist - not a registry but more like Unix conf file
5. reboot Both printer and Mac

-tvuongpham

here is my IP4000.plist
file path:
/Library/Preferences/Canon/BJPrinter/DeviceInfo/iP4000.plist
------------------
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>CDRInfo</key>
<integer>1</integer>

</dict>
</plist>
--------------

** my system opened the file in TEXT wrangler, but you can use any TEXT editor.. its all text files or UNIX (OSX is a variant of BSD)

GeneL wrote:
Quote:
I'm using a G5 Powermac/ OS 10.4.2 and no, I don't see a "printable disk" media type option when I get to the "Media & Quality" menu.

I really feel lost:-?
TVUONGPHAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2005, 12:56 PM   #954

I'm too exhausted by no sleep and frustration to deal with this right now.

Although I'm retired, I work in a Mitsubishi HDTV booth at the OC Fair each summer. I'm there every night until 11:30 and right now there's a major "cut and fill" project going on right next to my bedroom window. The bulldozers and huge earthmovers start their racket at 7 AM. Too bad, because it's destroyed the last undeveloped coastal promontory in Southern California.
The Fair ends on the 31st so I may put off any more "fiddling" with the problem until then.

My questions are:
1. Can I scew up my OS by removing the folder you suggested rather han a specific file?
2. How do I know if the installers I downloaded are the correct ones and that they are 10.4.2 compatible?
3. Why am I having so much trouble with this while it has been easy for others?
4. I'm sure I have more questions but my mind is too frizzled to remember right now (I'll get back to them later)

I really appreciate everyone who has been hanging in there with me.

GeneL

BTW I just checked and the 8600 "did" show up in the printers list so I did do something? with all my "fooling around."
Old Jul 26, 2005, 2:15 PM   #955

I suddenly felt ambitious so I took a chance and moved the Canon folder to my Desktop and installed the EN 302 dmg and there it was when I opened the page setup, 8600 instead of 8500 and CD-R Tray B listed under paper selection.

I still was able to print normally from TextEdit but when I tried printing a test page under CD-R Tray B I kept getting a dialog telling me to "fix" the settings?

Is that because I wasn't printing on a CD?

Should I be able to print on plain paper under the CD-R setting?

Am I on the right track and is it ok that 8600 has replaced 8500 in the Printer settings?
Old Jul 26, 2005, 2:52 PM   #956

GeneL wrote:
Quote:
I suddenly felt ambitious so I took a chance and moved the Canon folder to my Desktop and installed the EN 302 dmg and there it was when I opened the page setup, 8600 instead of 8500 and CD-R Tray B listed under paper selection.

I still was able to print normally from TextEdit but when I tried printing a test page under CD-R Tray B I kept getting a dialog telling me to "fix" the settings?

Is that because I wasn't printing on a CD?

Should I be able to print on plain paper under the CD-R setting?

Am I on the right track and is it ok that 8600 has replaced 8500 in the Printer settings?
I don't have a mac worth speaking about... so I can't tell you in all honesty how the mac driver thinks. Under windows if you try to print to a CD-R while the printer doesn't support CD-R it will tell you to close the door than print on plain paper. This is a sign that the printer isn't set to print on CDs.

Idealy it shouldn't print to paper when trying to print to CDs. It should attempt to suck in the CD tray.... look for the center reflector that is covered by the disc, then look for the middle reflector located at the edge, align it self with a side to side scan, and print onto a CD.

You can however take any of the tray diagrams, use the paint bucket and make everything black except for the three alignment marks trim to fit, and use that in lue of a real CD tray. In my testing I used 69lb paper glued to poster board where the height was equal to that of two CDs roughly. The center reflector located just up from the hub isn't required for normal CD printing but is used to detect either NO disc or to detect small disc/bussiness sized disc (I think). This technique I used to help troubleshoot my mp760 printer when I was trying to get CD printing going as i'm more accurate with a paper slicer than a dremmel.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2005, 3:06 PM   #957

GeneL,
At least in Windows XP if I select Printable Disk but don't inset one I get the following message:

"The CD-R tray is not inserted or a printable disc is not placed on the CD-R Tray.
Insert the CD-R tray with a printable disc in the Inner Cover and then press the RESUME button.
Printing will then restart."

If the door is closed, it first tells me to open the door and then I get the above message.

So it appears that you cannot print to paper after selecting Printable Disk as the media type. Try a printable disk. If you don't have any place a DVD label on the disk - that is what I have been doing since I still have a bunch of non-printable DVDs. Or you might be able to try to print without any artwork - the tray ought to at least pull into the printer, do its search and then push the tray out since there is nothing to print. MAC OS probably works in a similar manner - maybe with different error messages. Keep plugging - you will get it working.

Steve W.

on30trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2005, 3:37 PM   #958

Still no luck

I opened CD Label Print, placed a jpg on the image, selected page Setup and set it to Format for: ip8600, selected Paper Size: CD-R TRAY B, Magnification: 100% and Orientation: normal.

Then I put the tray with a CD in the holder into the proper slot up to where the arrows aligned.

When I clicked "Print" I got the following dialog box:

"The Paper Settings are not correct. Please check the paper size, magnification ratio and paper orientation."

I was returned to the Settings Menu but there is nothing I can see to change and this happens over and over each time I attempt to print on the CD.

I'm stuck at this point and I don't know what else to do since the CD-R Tray B is now shown in the paper selections and I am still able to print in other applications normally with the ip8600 selected as the printer.

Any more ideas?

GeneL
Old Jul 26, 2005, 4:21 PM   #959

Back by demand (5 available):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=6788866619

I had to end my Dutch auction as there are mistakes in the "quantity wanted" and "quantity winning." Ebay is supposed to be working on it but hasn't fixed it in 2 days. Sorry for any inconvenience.

liberty2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2005, 5:45 PM   #960

I have an Buy-It-Now up on ebay at http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=6788884409 or you can go to canoncdtray.com and purchase direct if you don't want to use paypal.

I ship worldwide free via paypal. My site can handle US transactionsbut Canadians will require me calling you to do the transaction, just email me and I will call and dowhat I canfor you.

Chousden is offline   Reply With Quote