Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jul 27, 2005, 12:40 PM   #971

GeneL wrote:
Quote:
I do see that when I push the RESUME button while I have the tray inserted it does pull it into the printer BUT…

I still can't get past the Page Settings dialog (see previous post for description).
It looks like your printer is set up for CD-R printing, since you get the model number on the test printout in pink, and you can select CD-R Tray B in Page Setup. You made the correct selections in Page Setup, but you also need to change some settings in the Print menu:

Select the following:
Printer: iP8600
Quality & Media:
Media Type: Printable disc (recommended)
Paper Source: Disc tray
Paper Handling:
Destination Paper Size:
Use documents paper size: CD-R Tray B
Print Cover Page: None

If you don't get the above choices in the Print menu, you will have to re-install the printer driver. Make sure you reboot the computer afterwards and also turn the printer off an on.
jonbgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2005, 1:04 PM   #972

Jonbgood,

I think that the 'Use documents paper size: CD-R Tray B" did the trick!

I have to go get some printable disks and give it a try

If it works I'll need to know more about how to actually set up and print a label other than from a scan of an original label.

Does it matter if you print labels before or after you burn the disk?

When I used Canon's CD Label Print app I chose a jpg from my pictures folder and it was a matter of putting a square image on a round surface.

Is there a special way to crop images to fit a CD/DVD?

I'll be so relieved and grateful if my CD printing function finally works I will buy those who helped make it posible a margarita at the Dana Point Harbor El Torito.
(send me a PM if you are going to be nearby)

Stay tuned because it will take a few days for me to get some printable media and to figure out how to do it.
GeneL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2005, 1:50 PM   #973

Ouch!

When I clicked "print" in Internet Explorer just to check the suggested settings, I got the normal printer dialog box with the various drop down menus where I was able to select the required options.

Everything looked good and the "job" went to the printer.

BUT in CD Label Print when I click "print" I can't get past the "page setup" because a dialog box keeps popping up asking me to make the same setting choices that I already selected.

I don't know how to break the endless cycle and get to the actual Printer settings where I can make the appropriate selections that I had been able to make when I set it up to print from IE.

Any ideas or is there another CD label application that I can use that won't give me the same problem?

Thanks for your thoughts,

GeneL
Old Jul 27, 2005, 2:01 PM   #974

BTW I just experimented to see if I could actually print from IE using the appropriate settings.

Sure enough, the printer pulled the tray in and started printing on the paper disk I had taped to an old CD.

It printed beyond the disk since it was formatted properly and I stopped the printing job since it consisted of several pages but IT DID PRINT SOME TEXT on the paper CD.

Now I know it should work but I don't know how to get CD Label Print to work?
Old Jul 27, 2005, 2:13 PM   #975

GeneL wrote:
Quote:
Jonbgood,
1) I think that the 'Use documents paper size: CD-R Tray B" did the trick!
2) If it works I'll need to know more about how to actually set up and print a label other than from a scan of an original label.
3) Does it matter if you print labels before or after you burn the disk?
4) Is there a special way to crop images to fit a CD/DVD?
5) BUT in CD Label Print when I click "print" I can't get past the "page setup" because a dialog box keeps popping up asking me to make the same setting choices that I already selected.
1) Finally!!!
2) Use an image editor such as iPhoto or Photoshop
3) No, but if you burn the disk first and then mess up the label, you wasted your time burning it, so you may want to print first until you got it all figured out.
4) In iPhoto you can crop the image manually, or select 4 x 3 (DVD) from the Constrain menu.
5) Make sure you have the correct settings in both the Page Setup and Print menu.
Old Jul 27, 2005, 2:35 PM   #976

damnlimey wrote:
Quote:
zakezuke

Thanks for the alignment pics I didn't know about that part.

Do you have any detailed instructions on how to correct mis-alignment?the page says to click on block below the image but I don't see it.

Thanks
I think it says click to enlarge. It also says follow instructions below fig7-1 where it should say below fig 7-2. I guess I need to correct that.

The only detailed information I have about correcting alignmnet is the paragrah that basicly says to measure the distance between the + on both sides. subtract X distance from it's adjacent distance and device by two to see the average distance. Repeat the same for Y. I thought in my case Y was a positive value (each user different) so I wrote down subtract the adjacent value from the Y value... but I could be mistaken on this. I welcome others to actually test my procedure and give feedback.

At present this is the only means I have to establish the center factor and most rulers are hard to establish accurate distances sub mm and the only software I know of one can input these values is CD-label print. There is a way to do this on the printer side of things but at the moment i'm too lazy to input it in. My workload has been inexcess of sanity and had a hard drive fire to boot.
zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2005, 2:54 PM   #977

jonbgood wrote:

1) Finally!!!
2) Use an image editor such as iPhoto or Photoshop
3) No, but if you burn the disk first and then mess up the label, you wasted your time burning it, so you may want to print first until you got it all figured out.
4) In iPhoto you can crop the image manually, or select 4 x 3 (DVD) from the Constrain menu.
5) Make sure you have the correct settings in both the Page Setup and Print menu.[/quote]

What about the alignment issues?

Do you thik there's a way to get Canon's CD Label Print to work?

Any other Disk Label printing applications that would make the set up easier?
Old Jul 27, 2005, 3:22 PM   #978

GeneL wrote:
Quote:
Do you think there's a way to get Canon's CD Label Print to work?
Did you select CD Label Print and Standard CD (12 cm) in the File -> Select Paper menu?
After selecting Print do you get a pop-up window that tells you to "Select [Quality & Media] ..."? Make sure you select all the correct settings in the Print dialog box.

See http://users.cjb.net/pixma-faq/7.html for alignment instructions.

Try Discus (free demo) at http://www.magicmouse.com/h_download_demos.html
Old Jul 27, 2005, 5:10 PM   #979

Personally, I use Discus. I have tried several programs. The canon program is a bit "weak".

But this one is the simplest and has decent tools to adjust any given picture, add text (in any direction you want), layers are supported (Paint, text and multiple photos).

In the newer version of Discus; it supports Pixma direct CD printing.

You can however still do manual templates. Goto Neato.com and download templates for photoshop etc.
There are several options:
1. Canon label print
2. discus, from magic mouse
3. using templates, photoshop illustrator -- most flexibility
4. Nero Cover Designer

details for Nero
1) In Nero Cover Designer goto File -> Paper Stocks
2) In the list select 'User-defined Stocks' and press the 'Add Stock'
button
3) Give the new stock a nice name, eg. "CD-Tray PIXMA 4000"
4) Set width = 131.0mm, height = 238.7mm (got these from Printer
Preferences dialog)
5) Press the 'Add Item' button and select 'Label'
6) Set outer radius = 59.0mm, inner radius = 22.0mm (or 11.0mm for a small
hole in the middle)
7) Set position X = 6.5mm, Y = 87.0mm

Print onto disc:

1) In Nero Cover Designer goto File -> New and select any disc template
(this is not the one created above)
2) Select the tab "Disk 1"
3) Choose your freshly created paper format from the drop-down box on top
4) Now paint your cover...
5) Goto File -> Print
6) On tab 'Elements' unselect the things you don't want
7) On tab 'General' press the 'Setup' button, and choose PIXMA 4000 'Properties'

On tab 'Main', set Media type to "Printable disc (recommended)" (this
will also select "Disc tray" as paper source)
9) On tab 'Page Setup', set Page size to "CD-R tray B"
10) OK, OK, OK

My workflow for making backup DVDs for the kids. Is
1. scan the DVD on the flatbed usb scanner
2. import image into discus.
3. adjust size
4. print
done!

picture is of discus and a custom reference cd I made.

jonbgood wrote:
Quote:
GeneL wrote:
Quote:
Do you think there's a way to get Canon's CD Label Print to work?
Did you select CD Label Print and Standard CD (12 cm) in the File -> Select Paper menu?
After selecting Print do you get a pop-up window that tells you to "Select [Quality & Media] ..."? Make sure you select all the correct settings in the Print dialog box.

See http://users.cjb.net/pixma-faq/7.html for alignment instructions.

Try Discus (free demo) at http://www.magicmouse.com/h_download_demos.html
Attached Images

TVUONGPHAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2005, 5:17 PM   #980

3 day auction

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=6788956213
TVUONGPHAM is offline   Reply With Quote