Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Oct 12, 2004, 1:37 AM   #1

Quote:
Moderator Note:
Quote:
It has come to my attention that this forum is being used to sell printer parts (for example, CD trays and rollers for Canon Pixma Printers).

If you run your mouse cursor over the "Discussion Forums" menu choice on the main page at http://www.steves-digicams.com, you'll see some rules:

Quote:

Public Discussion Forums

You'll find a multitude of friendly folks here to help you. We have forums for every popular camera maker, general Q&A forums and forums where you can post your favorite photos.

We only ask that you do not post any wanted, for sale or commercial type advertisements.
These rulesare also in the confirmation e-mail new members receive when joining the forums.

I can appreciate the effort many of you have put into the issues regarding printers. But, it's not fair to forum members we've enforced this rule with to allow the for sale posts to stay.

It's far too hard to police "for sale" typeposts (since we'd have scammers posting, commercial entities posing as individuals, etc.) So, we don't allow any Wanted or For Sale type posts here. Period.

This thread was temporarily closed when the for sale posts came to our attention.

I am going to reopenthis thread (at least for now).

But, I'll expect those of you that made for sale posts to edit your posts and remove the references to items placed in this thread for sale. The same thing applies to posts in other forum threads.

I'll also expect that no commercial business will be conducted via Private Messages. If I do not see progress in the editing of existing for sale posts (including links to member's Ebay listings), then I'll shut down the thread and take moreappropriate action.

If you see someone else doing this again, please let them know it's against the rules and notify a moderator.

The forums here are not to be used to conduct business. That includes Wanted, For Sale, and Commercial Type Posts.

Anyone that is trying to"bend" these rules in any manner (for example, subtle hints like "send me a PM and I know someone that can get... ", in order to sell items via this site will not be tolerated.

Jim C.
Quote:
End of Moderator Note

This discussion started in another topic (ip4000 review mostly on page 4) but many expressed similar concerns so I thought it needed its own heading.

I was very disapointed to find that the new Pixma printers from canon don't have CD/DVD printing capabilities. However, when I found out that the international printers had this capability, I felt deeply wronged. Why would they specifally disable a feature the printer was designed with? Well, according to a previous post (link), there is a US patent blocking this feature on canon printers in America (blocking only in the sense that canon thinks paying to license the patent will not be cost effective). However, since the printer was designed with this function, I thought there might be a way around canon's disabling mechanisms. As I found others were thinking in a similar way as I was, I posted my conclusions from a few hours of tinkering (link). In short, the printer has a CD slot (in the inner cover see linked thread above, and pictured here ) and can physically feed something into the CD slot but it is physically blocked at the back end. Furthermore, the driver will not allow the inner cover to be open when printing. Though not as simple as I originally thought, I do believe with everyones help we can fix this "problem." I no longer have the printer but for those who do there are several things which could help our cause (I think any findings would apply to most canon PIXMA printers (ip3000 - ip8500))

People who want to help from outside the US (with CD printing capable versions):
1) Can someone describe what exactly happens to the cd tray as it is fed into the printer (i.e. where does it go, what does it go under/above, does anything move out of the way etc.)
2) Is there anything important about the CD tray itself or is it just a holder for the cd during printing (i.e. are there any specific groves or other mechanisms that function on other parts of the printer to make something happen)
3) To test this above question (#2), see if you can feed a piece of cardboard (of similar thickness to the CD tray) into the printer and let us know if it prints or if you get an error message.
4) Can someone take a few pictures of the inside of the printer midway through printing a cd.
5) Can someone take a few pictures of the inside of the printer without anything being printed (to compare to US models)

People with printers from the US
1) See if there is some way to lift the white thingies to provide clearance for a CD
2) Has anyone found a workaround or some other fix for the driver which stops printing with an error message if the inner cover/CD tray feeder is open (I have heard of other hacks for other printers and was wondering if anyone knew how to do this for this capability)
3) Can someone take a picture of the inside of the printer for comparison to non-us printers

Anyone
1) Does anyone know how to purchase these printers outside the US and have them sent to the US (hopefully relatively cheaply)?

This is all I could come up with for now but I am sure others will have further suggestions as well. Any help with the above items would be greatly appreciated and if I end up picking up another printer, I will also post any of my progress.
niteowl099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 13, 2004, 2:37 AM   #2

If there was a way to import the CD-Enabled printers to the US .... would it work with OS X/Windows XP?

Wouldn't you have to use non-USA drivers for the printers to be capable of printing CD-Rs?

Also, how about the power plug?

I'm EXTREMELY interested in this printer to replace my Epson R200 (which is not a bad printer at all).

It seems Epson is the only one that's printing on CDs..... ?
badtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2004, 1:48 PM   #3

Might buy from Canada... their web site advertises the IP5000 with CD/DVD printing!
dcl2q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2004, 9:54 PM   #4

dcl2q wrote:
Quote:
Might buy from Canada... their web site advertises the IP5000 with CD/DVD printing!

Nope, we too are left CD/DVD printing-less.The spec sheet was probably printed in Japan, and was meant for another country.
JonathanV112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2004, 11:11 PM   #5

This annoying issue is not only with these printers, Epsons North American version of their printers like the 2200 cannot print cd/dvd either. The rest of the world got the 2100 model (same printer) except it has a carrier that lets them print cd/dvd.

I suspect some kind of cornsPIRACY going on here (Insert theme from X-FIles here):X

PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2004, 3:27 PM   #6

I own a canon ip5000 USA model, and I can tellall ofyou this: there is no point in feeding something though because the firmware is blocking any attempts for the inner cover to be opened down. If you attempt to lift the inner cover mechanismswhile printing (that is the rollers on the bottom), the printer will immediately haltanyprinting that's going on. I've tried to open the printer completely, but unsuccessful. There is no way to print a CD unless canon gives USA models the same firmware as other international editions. I don't see that happening anytime soon in the forseeablefuture unless they want to lose profts.
Azzkikr1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2004, 6:50 PM   #7

well can the ip4/5000 be flashed with new firmware? if so where do you dl the firmware?

if it's not pubically available there might be tech people who work for canon who have them and a special flash program. that's how it is for some products like hdtvs and standalone dvd players. you gotta get an insider to leak the firmware sometimes.

i know for dvd-rom drives people hack the firmwares to change them from region 1 to all regions. so it would be possible to remove the cd/dvd printing check from canon's printers too.

we need someone with connections and someone who is good at hex editing. or just a uk firmware which could be flashed to our usa printers.
fairuza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2004, 8:10 PM   #8

Thank you once again RIAA!
dcl2q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2004, 12:41 PM   #9

fairuza wrote:
Quote:
well can the ip4/5000 be flashed with new firmware? if so where do you dl the firmware?

if it's not pubically available there might be tech people who work for canon who have them and a special flash program. that's how it is for some products like hdtvs and standalone dvd players. you gotta get an insider to leak the firmware sometimes.

i know for dvd-rom drives people hack the firmwares to change them from region 1 to all regions. so it would be possible to remove the cd/dvd printing check from canon's printers too.

we need someone with connections and someone who is good at hex editing. or just a uk firmware which could be flashed to our usa printers.

I searched one week in google to see it there are any flashing programs for these printers, and I did not find one single reference. So, only the insiders in canon or some tutorial guide will help us deal with the firmware. Otherwise, we are all out of luck.
Azzkikr1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2004, 4:51 AM   #10

wouldn't the easiest way be to find a way to get an import to work in your region? [import from UK to USA?]
badtz is offline   Reply With Quote