Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Oct 12, 2002, 4:44 PM   #1

Default Epson 2200 vs Canon s9000 Picture Quality Only

I am going to buy one of these printers very soon. My question is for those who have seen both in action.

Which printer: The Epson 2200 or the Canon s9000 has the best picture quality. In this I mean sharpness, contrast, color vividity, closeness to a photograph. I am not concerned with any other issue: speed, longevity, just photo quality.

In a sense I guess you could say which one presents the most impressive picture to the common viewer with an untrained eye.

Thanks
Inigo
Inigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 14, 2002, 1:10 PM   #2
Administrator

I'd have to give the nod to the Canon S9000. Most people like the vividness of dye-based inkjet prints over the pigment-based inks. The new Epson 2200 is close to the same color gamut but I still think the S9000 is a little snappier colorwise. I also own one myself and love it - and no, I didn't get it for free, I bought it just like anyone else would.

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2002, 10:08 AM   #3

Default More or less the same question

Steve

I got burned so badly on a Canon printer with a bad print head that I swore I would never buy another, ever. So I want to pose the same question only this time between a 2200 and a 1280.

Thanks for your indulgence
charlibob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2002, 2:21 AM   #4

The thing you will notice really between the canon and the epson nowdays is that when the canon does a color print it does'nt use black at all resulting in muddy blacks or if you stand the pictures up next to each other you will see what looks like the black is missing. If you truly want great colors at the same time great blacks I would probably head out with the 2200 or the 1280. The 1280 already has many color profiles already availible for it from many different users but the 2200 has the capability to produce a greatter color gamut with its 3 different blacks.
Gregersonsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2002, 11:05 AM   #5

Guess I am leaning toward the 1280. Right now there is a $100 dollar rebate from Epson. I can get it on line from a reputable dealer for the mid $300s, including shipping, after the rebate. I won't be alive by the time the prints fade and a CIS system solves the ink cartridge hassles. I like bright, glossy prints and the tales of "bronzing" with the 2200 bother me since my prints will be viewed from many angles.
charlibob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2002, 12:05 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlibob
Guess I am leaning toward the 1280. Right now there is a $100 dollar rebate from Epson. I can get it on line from a reputable dealer for the mid $300s, including shipping, after the rebate. I won't be alive by the time the prints fade and a CIS system solves the ink cartridge hassles. I like bright, glossy prints and the tales of "bronzing" with the 2200 bother me since my prints will be viewed from many angles.
Bronzing only happens on the premium glossy paper and its quite minimal. All the other papers work great.
Gregersonsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote