Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Oct 13, 2002, 1:24 PM   #1

Default Fooling Epson Ink Level

I have a Epson 640 and sometimes it says inks are dry but they are not. So i hit the cart change button and reinstall the same cart but when the cart runs dry it doesn't offer me the option to change the cart again which i think is becasue the levels register full. How can i get around this?
PhotoMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 14, 2002, 1:07 PM   #2
Administrator

It's not nice to fool Mother Nature or Epson :roll:

However, if you look in your user manual under the maintenance section there is instructions on how-to install a new cartridge before the printer says the one it has is low. I don't remember which button(s) you hold down anymore as I now use a Canon printer but I used to do this with my Epson photo printers so I know there is a magic reset the ink level button push.

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2002, 8:43 PM   #3

I didn't see this sooner , but I have tried this several times ; my conclusion is it doesn't worth, even worse , you take the risk to let the heads dry out when 1 color ink miss first and you did not notice ( if you are printing text in balck for a while. )

I used this trick on my Epson 740, the second "round" never last more than a week ( and I print not much. So I didn't do it anymore.

Anyway, in the manual ( mine is in French) , there is a section in "trouble shooting" , "ink cartridge problems" , it says this:

To replace an ink cartridge before one of the light(s) go on :
- Hold the Form feed button more than 3 sec, the print head then goes to position, the power on light flashes
- bla bla ... change the catridges
- push once the form feed button
- the print head goes to rest position and the printer start the "load the ink" procedure.
( don't power off before the ink loading ends)

Hope that's the same with your printer.
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote