Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Oct 18, 2004, 8:55 AM   #1

I saw Steve's recommendation and decided to purchased a new HP Photosmart 375. Unfortunatly, I am experiencing a problem with regards to the quality of the prints. It seems that every print that I made had a 1/4 inch band of partially printed pixels located about a 1/4 inch from the end of the print.

I called HP tech support and they had me remove the ink cartridge, disconnect power to the printer, and wait 1 minute. Then I repowered it and re-iserted the ink cartridge and printed a picture. The first print seemed fine but then the next ones continued to have the band on them. The tech support person told me that I should not be using the tabless paper because from experience he said that it would cause problems. I told him that the printer came with sample tabless paper and was also advertised as being able to do so. He said that he would send me some tabed paper to try and if the problem was not resolved to call again and they would replace the printer.

I was quite upset about the matter and decided to return the printer to Best Buy. I swapped it out for another and printed a few samples when I got home. The samples from this printer do not exihibit as severe a problem but the missing pixels are still there (visible from the naked eye).

So I was wondering if anyone had observed this problem with their 375 printer? Just look at the last 1/2 inch of the print and see if there is a 1/4 inch band of missing pixels at a 1/4 offset from the end.

Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Update: I attached a scan of the last inch of a print from the first printer
Attached Images

cnogradi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 18, 2004, 7:01 PM   #2

I have attached a scan of the last 1 inch of a print out from the second hp 375 (I returned the one the had the more obvious band above). You can see the band in the center of the image.
Attached Images

Old Oct 18, 2004, 7:05 PM   #3

Finally, I printed the same picture rotated 180 degrees and scanned the same part of the image i.e. the beginning of the print which as you can see looks good (no band here).
Attached Images

Old Oct 18, 2004, 8:32 PM   #4

Frankly, I don't see what you are referring to in any of the pictures. Sorry.
skylark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2004, 9:11 AM   #5

Ok, I have attached the entire picture. Hopefully, you can now see that on the right side, there is a band. This print is from the 1st printer that I returned. The replacement printer is not as bad but still exhibits a lesser version of the problem and I suspect that over time, the new one will do the same.
Attached Images

Old Oct 19, 2004, 2:38 PM   #6

OK, now I see what you mean. Rather than missing pixels (which is correct) a better description might be "a yellowish gradient band probably caused by certain inks not being printed". I'll try to think of possibilities but hopefully now others can see your problem and make suggestions.

Take care, Skylark
skylark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2004, 5:15 PM   #7

Well after using the new printer for a week now, it seems that the problem I described above only occured when I did not use HP photo paper. I also tried HP photo paper with tabs which worked well. Of course the first printer (which I returned) was defective since it exhibited the problem even on HP paper.I will continue to keepa close eye on it however.