Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Oct 18, 2004, 9:56 AM   #1

I just purchased an ip5000 Sunday and I have mixed feelings. I did a lot of reading up and research about which printer to get and i decided on the ip5000. I needed something that could print text AND pictures and this seemed to be the best choice. There was a Canon representative at the store and he printed off some photos and I compared them to those of the i960. I could not see any difference between the two; the pictures were fantastic and I was very pleased.

When I got home I set up the printer and printed some pictures from vacation. However, thepicture quality left a lot to be desired. Lines were printed throughout the photograph and the pixels were very visible. I tried to adjust the settings and options but produced minimal change. Printing directly from the camera sometimes reduced the lines, however the colors and quality were lacking. No matter what I tried I could not make the vertical lines disappear, which is aggravating because the rest of the photo would look excellent. These lines would appear in groups of 4-6 vertical lines about everyforth of the photo.

The blues and areas of solid light color produced the worse results. Using strong noise reduction improved this some, but still far below acceptable quality and still produced pictures with lines.

I went through the maintenance options and aligned the print heads, cleaned the nozzles, etc but none of that helped.

I'm hoping I just got a bad printer and I'm returning it this afternoon and willtry my luckagain. If anyone has a similar experience or any ideas/suggestions I'd be more than happy to hear them.

This seems like an excellent printer and fits my needs of text and photos, unlike the i960. I hope I'll have better luck tonight.

Also, I'm printing on Canon glossy plus & pro paper and using a Canon a75 camera.

skot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 18, 2004, 10:21 PM   #2

I purchased the IP5000 last week and it's been printing wonderful photo's all week.

I think your printer must be faulty, take it back straight away.

Cheers,

-Richard
odgregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2004, 6:47 AM   #3

Couple of months ago my parents bought HP PhotoSmart 245. It produced very grainy results with it's original cartridges which came with printer. When them run out of ink and got replaced with new ones from a local shop, results improved what they should have been at first place.

I'm looking for a photo printer too, and that iP5000 looks good to me.
wallu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2004, 7:56 AM   #4

Well I exchanged the ip5000 last night and got a new one and I must say I am very pleased with this printer. The pictures are excellent and are comparable to the i960. Text is also dark and crisp.
Old Oct 21, 2004, 9:19 PM   #5

After several days of using this printer, i must say I love this printer. The pictures are perfect and it's great to print text documents as well. I hightly suggest this printer to anyone looking for a printer that can print exceptional quality pictures and text documents.
Old Nov 3, 2004, 8:03 AM   #6

I have had my Pixma 5000 for two weeks now and simply can not say enough good things about it - and up till this month, I was always a die hard Epson owner.

We picked up a cheap used s9000 last month for some bigger promo posters we needed to print for our photo biz, and I was impressed by the speed but thought the photo quality was less than I had been expecting after reading reviews, etc, but it still had nice output and was fast.

Week later, we are at CompUSA while out of town and pricing Epsons R800 and Canon 990 when the Canon rep walked over and we started chatting. I told him we were in the market for a small format photo printer to use for printing event/party portraits on location for our photo biz and that Iwas still trying to decide between the two based mostly on print life and speed. He led me to a brand new Pixma 5000 and in less than half and hour, had answered my (and my wife-a much harder sell) tech and quality questions and we were impressed with the sample output of little printer enough to buy one on the spot even though we were just supposed to be looking... :-)

>> TIP: In some very rare cases, buying the stores upsell "extended warranty" can actually make sense and this was one of them - for just under 30 dollars, we can now carry in the printer back to the store for any reason (the rep said he knows folks who do this just when they run out of ink!) and they will replace it on the spot with the same or newer comparably priced model, INCLUDING NEW INK CARTS, for the next TWO FULL YEARS. Since we will be traveling, this was a good investment for us.

Got this thing home, set-up was a breeze, and 20 minutes later the first color photo print FLEW out of the printer and we were totally blown away. I am a full time professional photographer with 25 years pro experience that included manager at a major pro custom photo lab, and the print quality on the Canon Photo Plus Pro(?) was undistinguishable from a traditional photographic print. In a word, WOW!!!

I had worried about the 5 ink carts not having enough color gamut compared to the 6 or even 8 cart printers, but this little printer handled every challenging file I threw at it including sunset wedding shots with white gown, high color gel background shots, and traditional portraits. We liked the output so much that we decided to add it to our event photography biz and designed a package based on 5x7 units that we will print on location shoots using Express Digital software and our dry run tests with some sittings in the studio have been perfect. First big event is next weekend, but I expect it to do well and customers to be very pleased - I know we sure are.

Happy Printing!

Eric in Hurricane Alley (Florida)

birdpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2004, 11:17 AM   #7

I agree, I've had the ip5000 for about 3 - 4 weeks and have yet to get a bad print. The built in duplexing makes it really versatile, especially for brochure printing. Great value.

joepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2004, 7:25 PM   #8

Eric, on my way to Ft Lauderdale to see the grandkids fir Thanxgvg. I have ALWAYS used Epson until I got sick of how they GULP ink. I have a i950 andreally like it. I have tried an Olympus Dye sub...great ,,but NO boarderless printing. I am really interested in the ip8500. Do u know anything about that. >> Jim
jamey15 is offline   Reply With Quote