Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Oct 22, 2004, 6:01 PM   #1

I just got an R200 for work. I burn lots of CD's for distribution to others, so I wanted a better option than labels. I haven't gotten in a supply ofprintable CDR's yet, as I intend to test a few brands before I "stock up". I've alsobeen reading about some others experiences with printing on CDRs and hear some people are having drying problems.

In myexperience with photo inkjet printing, paper and ink have to be compatible for good results. I have about 800 8.5 x11 sheets of "photo" paper at home I use for scrap, as I can't get my epson or HP printers to do a reasonable job on it. I now buy epson paper for my epson printers and HP paper for the HP's if I'm printing photos. Yea, there are some good HP compatible brands now, but Ithink about that $200 pile of scrap paper at home and buy HP instead.

So, has anyone found a review of printable cdr's? Anyone have experience of their own to share?

I was surprised that there was not a sample in the box. They instead included a piece of cardboard for doing setup testing of CD printing...:evil:

Oh, they did include 3 4x6 sheets of photo paper to play with.:?

RicBrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 22, 2004, 10:15 PM   #2

I just bought a stack of 50 dvd printables. i got prodisc white, hub printable, 8x and they seem to work very well. i got the r200 about 3 weeks ago for this purpose only and i am lovin it. i got them from supermediastore.com and they were fine to deal with.

tim g
tim g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2004, 10:16 PM   #3

i forgot to mention, i did get a sample in my box of a cd and it is a memorex brand. they print wonderfully, but it was not a hub printable one.

tim g
tim g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2004, 4:22 PM   #4

I'm interested in getting a R200, R300, R320, or R300M forits CD/DVD printing capability.From whatI've heard, the print on CD/DVD will not be waterproof. Is that true? Can you pleasetest it, and let me know? I don't want to buy one, then return it. :?

Thanks in advance!
mfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2004, 1:09 PM   #5

Since the inks for the R200 series are not durabrite, they are not waterproof(?). And unless a CDR vendor is going to produce a surface with the durabrite ink in mind, even then it would probably not stand up to the treatment I've seen durabrite prints resist.

Some people report printed disks are smudgable for a few hours to a day or 2 after printing, but are then completely handlable. I would imagine that is due to the non-porus plastic material under the printable layer. With noabsorbsion of the ink solvent into the surface, it will take longer forit to evaporate. The "skinning" of the ink surface would further slow the drying process. So without re-engineering the disks, I don't see how any ink/pigment based CDR printing system would not be prone to smudging for some time periodafter printing process. Freshly printed paper prints have a tacky feal to them. That's the ink solvent wetting the surface of the print. Having worked with offset presses, I can tell you that's a problem for most printing technologies that don't use heat or pressure to bond the image to the surface (laserprinters being the most common example.) But even that image is smudgable, years after printing. Go dig up a photocopy article from 3 or 5 years ago in your files. You'll find that the pressure of the paper against the other pages will transfer to the back of the next page. If the copier was set for too high a density, you might even find the pages stuck together! If they were in a vynal notebook, it can take as little as amonth for the process to start (outgasing of the vynal solvents.) Most of this shouldn't be news for you traditional photographers. The younger people may not have yet experineced the loss of some treasured old prints that didn't get adequately fixed or washed.

My conversations about disk printing with others and a little testing show the ink doesn't quickly disolve when wet, but after prolonged wetting (20 minutes or so) the image will again become smudgable. It doesn't just run off though. I had feared it would be like a white board. Look great, but when it got damp, it would just come away like a film. The printable surface holds most of the image, even after wetting and abusing it.

Interesting note. By experimentation, people have discovered that many "non-printable" cdr's will print just fine as well. I'm not talking about the silver disks with no label surface. But some disks with an pen label area seems to be printable just fine. So the temptation to add some graphics or readable text to some of my old disks has me planning to play around with a few.

Old Nov 30, 2004, 8:04 PM   #6

I purchased R300 and http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWN:IT

Im using Apple Color Profile on PC and it is pretty close match waiting on my 2 free color match profiles, have not printed any CD's yet but with this pigment based ink I'm sure they will be highly water resistant.
resistant.

resistant.

resistant.
delta4c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2004, 10:52 PM   #7

I have the CIF dye ink system for my R210 (R200 in your part of the world)from the same company as yours,delighted with the performance,wish I had purchased the pigment ink system from them,the waterproof CDs would be an advantage,however it is quite hard to make the ink run,as I do not normally get the CDs wet,normal handling seems to be ok.

look forward to feedback on your pigment ink system.
fperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2004, 12:48 PM   #8

Can you switch ink types on a printer like this without damaging the print heads? It seems the most commom problem I've heard from people who refill cartridges it clogged print heads. Epson printers are usually a bear to replace the heads in. That I know from personal experinece.

I've printed several dozen CD's now with my R200. I'm using a generic bulk disk. They are a bit tacky when fresh, but stack with no transfer of ink. The printing does smudge when tested with siliva and water. The printed images remains, with an oversmear of color. I'm happy with the results. I expect people to keep their computers water free anyway...

I'm very happy with the results compared to the labels I was using. Most label paper is fairly rough and absorbant, not allowing for photo details or very fine printing. I'm printing text blocks in 4 point and it's very readable. I've already recommended the printer to several friends.
Old Dec 1, 2004, 7:07 PM   #9

RicBrink wrote:
Quote:
Can you switch ink types on a printer like this without damaging the print heads? It
Good question,My hope would be that if a quick switch of systems,say from dye to pigment followed by a couple of pages of print ,would flush the system.

I am tempted to purchase another R200 and set up for a pigment CIF system,the cost of the printer is small compared to the huge savings in ink.
fperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2005, 1:28 AM   #10

I got mine installed without problem. an r300 with a pigment system! cool! betty
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote