Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Oct 24, 2004, 10:55 AM   #1

I've been using an HP 5550 for several years. It has run flawlesly and produces acceptable results, but it's time to step up to a better grade of photo printer. I've read the reviews of the Canon i990 and it looks interesting. Is there a real advantage over the HP 4800DPI-eight ink printers that would make it worth the extra hundred dollars?
RicKaysen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 24, 2004, 3:15 PM   #2

If you don't print at least one photo every week at the minimum but preferably at least 1 photo every 3-4 days, and optimally 1 photo every day then I would stay with HP brand printers. As I'm sure you know, HP has their printheads built into every ink cartridge so nozzle cloggling is minimized and if it happens a new ink cartridge results in a new printhead.

Canon is slightly better in that their printheads are user removeable with just a flip of a lever. But replacement printheads are not too cheap. When the printer gets older it is more cost effective to buy a new printer than to replace the printhead.

Epson is the worst since their printheads are built into the machine. Most users will not be able to replace the Epson printhead.

On Canon and Epson printers it is possible to go without printing anything for weeks and still have the printhead NOT clog but it can be a crap shoot. One thing about Epson printers. I had an Epson 870 inkjet and when it got about 1 year old it started leaving blue/green lines on printouts as the head moved across the paper. I had to clean the 870 EVERY time before I printed anything.I doubt I will ever buy another Epson printer though never say never.

Skylark
skylark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2004, 3:35 PM   #3

Funny you should say that about Epsons. I had to toss one prior to the HP due to it being hopelessly clogged. I enjoy printing photos, but it might be days between...even a week, so reliability is a concern. My current HP can sit for weeks and pop out a nice print.
RicKaysen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2004, 8:48 PM   #4

For what it is worth I have left my Canon i950 months inbetween printing and there was no evidence of an clogging.

I did however also buy a HP photosmart 8450 to do b&w prints.
Patrick1970 is offline   Reply With Quote