Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Nov 13, 2004, 12:17 AM   #11

Hey fellas, I gave in and bought the i960 at Frys for 129.99 on sale. Just use it for a dedicate photo printer. Maybe next year or two I will see what canon has new
coolmac23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2004, 3:20 AM   #12

Good deal, coolmac. That's an awesome printer. I'd be out getting one right now, but I want to know how the new iP5000 compares to it since I haven't found any such deals in this area. (Here in Maine, I don't even know what a Frys is.)

Have fun with that i960!

sc21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2004, 1:10 PM   #13

Well, in my typical fashion, I've spent the past few weeks agonizing over the decision between iP5000 and i960. I thought I was leaning towards the former, especially since I haven't seen any good deals lately on the i960. But, today I went into CompUSA and saw they had i960's for $119 after $50 mail-in-rebate, so I bought one. So, if you have CompUSAs in your area, you may want to check there - I see that they no longer have i960 on their web site so I guess it's limited to what they have in stock at the store.

Now, hopefully I'll only have a few more weeks of post-purchase agonizing until I decide I'm happy with my decision Luckily I already have an older printer I can continue to use for text, so I guess that makes it easier to accept the i960 as a "photo only" solution. Maybe some day we'll get 6 color + dedicated text printing in one box...
Mr. Salty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2004, 1:39 PM   #14

I hear ya. I've been going over the specs and forums and reviews myself for a month. The good news is that procrastination pays. Not only with your sale, but this one, for $90 at tigerdirect.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...5&NoMapp=1
sc21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2004, 7:52 PM   #15

Sc21,

You rock! Thanks for sharing that information! I have purchased from TigerDirect in the past, and I have found them to be a trustworthy seller! I really like that price!

However, that means only one thing, and that is the I960 is going away very soon.

Consumer Reports (my buying Bible!) states that if you see computer equipment and peripherals suddenly decline in price, it typically means the manufacturer is trying to liquidate its current stock to make room for new arrivals.

You have given me something else to think about!

-Ed

Mr. Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2004, 6:07 AM   #16

Staples the office supply store has the iP5000 for $169.99 no rebate
praffert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2004, 12:09 PM   #17

Yeah... of course i saw the tigerdirect thing as soon as I got back from lunch and posted here about my "deal" well, we'll see how flexible compusa is on their "no internet price match" policy... I haven't opened the box yet so I can use that for leverage.

FWIW, I saw on another forum someone said they got one for $99 at their local best buy... haven't been to best buy to check though...
Mr. Salty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2004, 10:40 AM   #18
sun

i was looking at the 1960 as well as I have a canon Lide 80 scanner and the canon notebook 80 printer. I talked to the techs at canon since I have for years now as I also have a relic 4100. I had been using an HP 1115 which was very good but expensive to operate...a photosmart. The PIXMA 5000 has just been out one month here in Canada so I have no choice except to spend the extra since I want to do some festive season projects, so on the advice of the tech at canon as there was only $50 difference he said the cartridges on the 5000 were more efficient and thus I took the jump and bought the 5000 and don't regret it at all. My photo smart HP i thought did a great job but this one is vunderful and along with my canon lide 80 I am simply super happy.:-)

sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2004, 11:47 AM   #19
Administrator

Steve has reviews of the Pixma iP4000, iP6000D and iP8500:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/printers.html#reviews

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2004, 12:01 PM   #20

There is a review of the ip5000 at pcmag.com. I'm going to get either the ip4000 or the ip5000. The pcmag review did say that the quality of photos on the 4000 was better than that of the 5000 which seems odd. The review also said the text and graphics are better on the 5000. Has anyone compared the two before purchase?

blmar100 is offline   Reply With Quote