Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Nov 22, 2004, 1:29 PM   #21

Results like that would make you wonder if the tester got theoutput mixed up. Graphics and text on the iP5000 wouldn't invoke 1pL droplets so "should" appear same as iP4000. Highest quality photos on the iP5000 should have some margin over the iP4000.
Paul_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2004, 3:18 AM   #22
Super Moderator

i was just looking at a 4000 vs 5000 today with a canon rep.. took the same image from a 20d and printed it at 5x7 with both printers... side-by-side, there was very little difference, maybe a bit more details in the shadows with the 5000.. but were i given the two without being side by side, could i pick out the 5000.. probably not.. nevertheless, i am getting a 5000 because on paper it should be better :G
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2004, 10:08 AM   #23

And, let's face it. most people will want to print on paper!

Jwhig
jwhig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2004, 1:03 PM   #24
Super Moderator

LOL.....
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2005, 5:42 AM   #25

Hi,
I know Im a little late, there is also a good review at photo-i. I'm 'rootin un tootin' and edging towards the ip5000
and yes also found pc mag review a little odd.
States the 5000 is one step lower in photo quality and yet produces better pastels - rather odd. My guess he did not have the drivers set right, as someone previously pointed out there is a difference in printing time, the 5000 taking slightly longer i understand (that is at the best resolution), meaning I guess he did not have it set on this setting when he did the photo.

David
davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2005, 7:56 AM   #26

Something I've discovered about US vs UK Pixma printers:
The US printers will NOT print to a CD/DVD! while the UK versions DO. :?:
This is very nice for saving my digital pictures as I would be able to ether print text or thumbnails and quickly ID which set of pictures - and no more problems with sticky labels comeing off in the drive!
The problem for me (in the US) is GETTING one.
I ordered from T4 Cameras, but it has been a nightmare of poor support and no delivery. :sad:
I'm at the point of canceling my order and hoping they will refund my money to the credit card.

I have found someplace else that others seem to have had very good luck with, however, and I'm thinking about trying again with them:
http://www.expansys-usa.com/

The prices are not even that much more than most retail in the US (at least when not on sale).

Has anyone here delt with them?
arklab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2005, 11:17 AM   #27
Administrator

arklab wrote:
Quote:
Something I've discovered about US vs UK Pixma printers:
The US printers will NOT print to a CD/DVD! while the UK versions DO. :?
This is very nice for saving my digital pictures as I would be able to ether print text or thumbnails and quickly ID which set of pictures - and no more problems with sticky labels comeing off in the drive!

It's a U.S. patent thing and Canon isn't paying the royalties so the printers sold here won't have the CD/DVD printing capability. Marketing is all about the price ...
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2005, 12:17 PM   #28

Hi all,

My father has just bought the Canon Pixma ip5000.

We printed samples off direct from his 300d/rebel in PC world in the UK couldn't really notice any difference between the 2!

Using Canon pro paper the results were very good. I tried to get him to buy a Dye-Sub like mine but the results from this at A4 borderless are almost as good.

He bought the ip5000 as it's resolution is higher and 1pl droplet. He also paid £139.90 from Jessops photographic store in the UK www.jessops.co.uk

I think to get the best from this you have to select best quality in the software.

Cheers Ian

IanWgglswrth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2005, 2:10 PM   #29

a better review of the ip5000 can be found at photo-i.

Thanks to tcchou71 who seemed to have hit the nail on the head when PC mag says the 5000 is one step lower in photo quality than the 4000. (in a similar thread on 12 Jan 05 'still confused'), think you'll find the photo's weren't done at the 5000 best resolution, the clue is the length of time it took to print the photo's with the 5000.

Cheers Dave
davy is offline   Reply With Quote