Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Oct 16, 2002, 11:23 PM   #1

Default ***Best stand-alone printer to print from memory cards????

Thinking about getting the Canon photo printer that can print without a computer. Need it for work...salespeople take digital pix (right now with a Mavica floppy!), and need to print their photos out. WOuld be nice to have a standalone printer to handle their needs.... also need to get 2 digicams to use with it with lots of zoom most importantly. I have had gerat luck with the Canon S600 and ink costs are the lowest! So now considering another canon. I also heard the Epson stand alone printers are slow.

Are their any stand-alone canon printers that use only 4 color opposed to 6 color? 6 color just adds more to the cost..we don't need to print to photopaper that much, mainly plain inkjet paper...just for fast and easy prints from the memory cards or hook camera directly to the printer and print.

ANy solutions for printing images from the Mavica floppy disks? i thought i saw a adaptor at www.fujifilm.com....but can't find it anymore. anybody know if these floppy/memory card adaptors work in the SOny Mavica for storing images? or can only be read in computer floppy drives?

:P thanx in advance guys!!!!
DigitalArtist71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 17, 2002, 7:30 AM   #2
NHL

The HP Photosmart 1000 series can print directly from memory cards with only 3 color + 1 B/W cartridge. With the high capacity 78 cartridge ($48 @ costco), it can print over 130 glossy 8x10 ($20 also @ costco). That about ~65c/8x10 that's quite inexpensive I believe...

http://products.hp-at-home.com/produ..._category_id=3

The Epson EPX785 can do the same and also Lexmark/Kodak. Actually the Kodak 200 is OEMed from Lexmark with also 3 or 6 color cartridges is on clearance @ Ritz for $69, and it also come with a built-in LCD screen. Lexmark/Kodak printer can print from external Zip drives (older model even have them built-in), but people rarely use floppy/Zip anymore... I do (Zip/Jaz/Peerless )
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2002, 10:00 PM   #3

Default thanx

thanx NHL...did some research...we mainly need the stand alone printer for lots of printing of digital photos on plain paper...so 6 color printers are overkill for our salespeople and not necessary. the Canon s530d uses 4 color instead of 6 color (s830d) will save us more on ink cost.

also, Canons, are very FAST..excellent quality, and very dependable...especially like the fact that the whole head unit can be replaced instantly if EVER needed opposed to being sent in for repairs like EPSONs.

the ink running cost is extremely low for the canons..especially when using ink from www.printcountry.com!

u can get each color (4 total, CMYK) for about $7.00...thats only $28! and u can save even more buy buying 3 packs of each color at bulk price for around $60 total!!!! thats a LOT of ink!

the canon ink carts also have more than double the ink capacity of HPs inks.

It seems as if Printer manufacturers make their most income on ink selling (such as HP!)...but Canon seems to do it by selling their printers instead of ripping off their customers. Canon has got me SOLD!
Old Oct 29, 2002, 2:28 AM   #4

Thats the funnny thing about HP. All thier profit over the last two years has been from ink.
Gregersonsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2002, 10:37 AM   #5

The profit for inkjet or photo printers comes from the sell of their ink cartridge. Cannon, Epson, Hp or Lexmark install less than 10 cents worth of ink into a fifty cent cartridge and sell it for a hugh markup. This does not matter as much as the ability to produce great photos by yourself. I want my digital camera and todays printers to produce my photos. I refill my HP cartridges and keep my printing cost down. I can refill my color cartridge for less than a dollar. I have heard rumbling that the printer vendors will install a chip on some their newer cartridges that will prevent refilling. The refilling will be hindere because the newer printers will need the chip to reset the cartridge information in the printer bios.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2002, 6:53 PM   #6

Default chips

well...with everything..there is always a workaround. such as the EPSON ink carts and their chips... it only hinders, thats all.

manfacturers just need to face it and not even attempt to chip carts...just a waste of development money..and that waste go's onto the customer to pay.

but as long as there are lots of dumb people out there to keep paying avg. $40 for ink every time thye run out...then the manufactuers will keep making THROW AWAY printers, and concentrate more on selling ink in small quantities at high prices.

can't wait till the desktop RGB laser printers (photo developers) hit the consumer market! no more ink or toners! just real photo paper.
Old Nov 2, 2002, 12:15 AM   #7

Default Re: chips

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalArtist71
well...with everything..there is always a workaround. such as the EPSON ink carts and their chips... it only hinders, thats all.

manfacturers just need to face it and not even attempt to chip carts...just a waste of development money..and that waste go's onto the customer to pay.

but as long as there are lots of dumb people out there to keep paying avg. $40 for ink every time thye run out...then the manufactuers will keep making THROW AWAY printers, and concentrate more on selling ink in small quantities at high prices.

can't wait till the desktop RGB laser printers (photo developers) hit the consumer market! no more ink or toners! just real photo
paper.
There is a difference though. HP costs about 97 cents a 4x6 vs epson with the chip only costs 55 cents a 4x6. Also the story on the chips were originally invented so that you dont run out of ink in the middle of printing on 2 dollar a sheet paper. Granted the cartridges may not be using every last drop but they will print near perfect all the way till the end. These number were done on the new HP printers with store retail costs on paper and ink.

But I say if you are really looking for quality and ease of use I would check into the epson photo 925. It's easy to use and has a lot of features.
Gregersonsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote