Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Oct 30, 2004, 5:40 AM   #1

I was looking at getting one of these printers, checked the canon UK webbsite and it lists it as a 4800x2400 dpi printer.

Most places im looking that have this in stock list it as a 4800x1200 DPI. :?:

I know if anyone can canon can but can someone who possibly has one please let me know what the actual DPI is.

If its only a 4800x1200 am i better off going for the IP5000 even though it is working on four colours plus the additional black at 1 picolitre.

Im generally pretty confused now at what will make for more realistic print reproduction. ie more colours, more DPI or finer droplets.

Now that canon are down to 1 pl size does this mean that this will make for as good a reproduction as a 6 colour @ 2pl although less DPI.

Really getting confused now.

The only thing i have to compare is that my old epson 830 5 colour reproduced better colours than my epson c84P. So i am assuming that having the extra colours is the way to go.

:shock:

just getting a bit bamboozled over it all now so if anyone can show me light id appreciate it or just give me some advice.

Smudger
Smudger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 30, 2004, 8:05 PM   #2

When I was torn between getting an ip5000 or the i960, I decided on the i960 because:

1. Folks with 6 color inkjets aways say that the Photo Magenta and Photo Cyan cartridges are used up 2-3 times faster than the other cartridges. This says those lighter shades must weigh heavily in producing the desired colors without having to resort to more dithering. The ip5000 does not usethe PM and PC inks so to get the lighter shades it must have to dither and use the white from the paper to get the lighter shades.

2. The ip5000 uses 1pl drop size compared to the i960 2pl drop size. Since the i960 gives me all the photo quality I want or need, I figured why risk more chance of clogging with the smaller nozzles.

Maybe these observations might help in your decision.

Skylark
skylark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2004, 12:10 PM   #3

Yes many thanks for answering, I was thinking along those lines and had read reviews saying about how much the PM, PC get used more.

Well I have taken the plunge and ordered the I965 from an online dealer who lists it the same as canon and that is a 4800 x 2400 DPI printer so if it isnt then i can have some come back. Now just having to wait till it gets here on tuesday.

I am most impressed by the looks of the I8500 but i cant justify the extra cost of that printer just yet.

Many thanks

Smudger
Old Oct 31, 2004, 12:46 PM   #4

The Canon specs do refer to the i965 dropping back to 4800x1200 at the bottom edge of a page.
Paul_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2004, 3:40 PM   #5

Oh dear, can you explain what you mean by that. Do you mean its a full 4800 x 2400 until the edge of a print page ? If so how much and what edge.

Do you have the link for that info anywhere ?

Hmm not so happy now.

Smudger
Old Nov 2, 2004, 2:36 PM   #6

Well it turned up today and all i can sit in awe and say is WOW.

The prints from this piece of hardware are amazing. I cant see me wanting any better printer for the forseable future.

Got it out of the box, installed the cartridges, driver, aligned the head and away it went. It only took me 4 prints to get the colours calibrated to how i like them. My epson C84 was a bit of a mare, might be because of extra photo colours im not sure but it sure was easier to get right than the C84.

Just over the moon. I dont really care if it is 4800 x 2400 or 1200 the prints to my eye are amazing.

Smudger