Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Oct 31, 2004, 9:30 AM   #1
BWS

I'm looking for reviews of the Canon PIXMA iP8500. I am printer shopping to replace my Canon i850, which after 3 - 4 years has started to streak when doing photos. The three printers I am considering at this point are the Canon PIXMA iP8500 (which is so far not available for me locally), Canon i9900, and the HP Photosmart 8450. Cost is not that important, but the ability to print excellent photos as well as to print text is important. This new printer would be my sole printer.
BWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 31, 2004, 10:22 AM   #2

There is a detailed review of the ip8500 on http://www.photo-i.co.uk - as well as the HP 8450 printer.

If you are planning on doing a fair amount of b&w printing as well as color - the HP 8450 would be the better choice. For color it appears that out of the box the HP 8450 has better color accuracy (howeveriit also seems that the older i950/i960- printers have better color accuracy than the new ip8500). Canon really should get their act together on this one - using a Canon printer with genuine inks and Canon paper shouldn't need *any* color adjustment. Yes the problem can be solved with profiling but a user shouldn't have to do that.

The HP does have a high cost for ink though - something to consider. If it were me I would look more at getting the discontinued i960 (if you are doing mostly color) or the HP 8450 if you want good color and are doing a fair number of b&w prints. The pixma series doesn't seem to have anything on the older 'i' series.

Patrick1970 is offline   Reply With Quote