Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Nov 5, 2004, 7:29 AM   #1

I purchased Epson R300 at Costco for $145 day before yesterday.

I received pigment based inks 2 OZ x 6 colors $70 OUCH and refillable smart cartridges $55 from inkjetinformation.com purchased on Ebay (which have proven to be only semi smart cartridges so far, due to the printer detecting them as non OEM then giving me choice to continue printing or not). I continue printing after the error message and get highly water resistant beautiful print on Epson Glossy Photo Paper with colors being as advertised about 5% off from screen colors due to differences of OEM dye inks and these pigment inks. Printer only came with 2 printable CD's so I'm waiting until I get colors adjusted right before using them.

Windows XP SP-1 with AutoPatcherXP_Aug04 which effectively brings system up to SP-2 or beyond. I'm very disappointed with Epson's outdated incompatible software so far! XP would not auto install without the Epson Install CD once it was detected printer installed partially.
  1. Printer will not print in or recognize Photoshop 8 as being installed. [/*]
  2. PIM print image matching may work with Photo Shop 6 or 7 not 8 and Adobe Photoshop Elements 1 or 2 most likely not 3. [/*]
  3. Setting printer preferences will not allow them to be locked in and saved to next print job. [/*]
  4. I need to reset my preferences every time I print to compensate for non OEM pigment inks![/*]
delta4c is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 6, 2004, 11:53 PM   #2

hi there,

Am I understanding correctly that you are running pigment ink on r300? I just bought the pigment ink system from jlw sales on ebay and have yet to find someone who has made it work. I am a little gun-shy to install right away until I find out if I need to run cleaning cartridges so as not to mix dye based ink with the pigment ink. everything I have read says that:

1. pigment ink will clog up (esp. if mixed with dye based ink)

2. need special driver for r300 since pigment ink is layed down differently from dye based ink.

3. need special profile.

are you saying you are running pigment ink without clogs, or profiles or drivers for pigment inks? I can't seem to get an answer to my questions anywhere except don't do it. I hear of others doing it and jlw sales has great feedback on ebay. just don't want to do something that will mess up my new printer. had bought the canon s820 last year and died after only a couple of months. can anyone answer these questions for me? Amethyst
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2004, 1:55 AM   #3

I have since taken back above mentioned system and got a far superior system http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=6723107350

from jlwsales on ebay it works great but I'm not so sure if this pigment ink is any more or less water resistant need to do more tests but so far not too happy with water restance tests I have done on CD's or glossy pictures.I might have been better off just purchasing the jlwsales dye bsased system and saving money on ink! I'm using the Apple rgb color profile on my IBM compatable PC and it matches pretty well.
Old Dec 25, 2004, 1:13 PM   #4

delta4c wrote:
Quote:
I have since taken back above mentioned system and got a far superior system http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=6723107350

from jlwsales on ebay it works great but I'm not so sure if this pigment ink is any more or less water resistant need to do more tests but so far not too happy with water restance tests I have done on CD's or glossy pictures.I might have been better off just purchasing the jlwsales dye bsased system and saving money on ink! I'm using the Apple rgb color profile on my IBM compatable PC and it matches pretty well.
hi

in Germany "all" printabble CD media, have been tested on the most popular CD/DVD printers!

"Not one" past the test,they all smudge and give-away their inkts, by water contact!

It's not the ink, but the CD-coatings, that are responsible for this fenomene!

Only inkts like "a permanent marker" could do the job..but unfortunately those inkts would clogg a printerhead in one week...or less!!

So...it's up to the CD/DVD (brands) guys!!

regards
Drake
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2004, 10:43 PM   #5

Hi there,

I sent back my original system to the seller due to cyan clogging. I got the new replacement (improved cyan supposedly) but haven't installed yet. You might want to try different paper with the pigment system. Glossy paper and pigment ink don't work well together - unless you use a special black made for glossy paper (which probably won't work with this system. ) I requested the Epson premium luster profile from jlwsales on ebay, as he states all buyers get 2 free profiles but I have not received it yet.

Can't seem to get a response about printer profile for the r300 with pigment in from anyone. I will install the system this week and just run a ton of test prints to clear the system of dye ink.

:idea:You may want to check online for paper that works well with pigment ink. I think I wish I had bought the dye based system also....it would already be installed and I would be able print on glossy, which I kind of like. But I just bought Epson Premium Luster and have printed with the dye ink and I like it ok. I supposedly works well with pigment. More later when I get it running. amethyst
Old Dec 28, 2004, 6:26 AM   #6

Update after more testing, by putting week + old prints I had done on plain paper set up on an incline and heavily misting them with water I got these results with these inks.

JLW Pigment ink was color fast!

Epson Dye Based Ink was washed off paper like a child's water painting in the bath tub!

Conclusion: I would not print anything very important with Epson Dye Based Ink and expect it to still be there after minimal water and or maybe even sun light exposure.

After this test I'm glad I paid the extra money for the pigment inks.

I have not gotten my 2 free color profiles either but I'm using the Apple rgb color profile on my IBM compatible PC and it matches pretty well.

Old Dec 29, 2004, 4:04 AM   #7

Have you tried JLW pigment system on CDs yet,I am very interested in this,I have JLW dye ink system on my R210 for the last two months,delighted with the results------at the moment.

I am considering another R210 with Pigment ink system for Waterproof CD printing but am a little unsure about results on this type of printable surface,every make of printable CD seems to be different. Have you tried? on what brand of CD?

Thanks,Frank.
fperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2005, 2:19 AM   #8

you can try:

http://www.InkRepublic.com

They make good bulk ink system and provide both dye and pigment ink.

Moreover, they separate the chipset and their cartridge, you can easily use their cartridge to your future printer, like R800, or even the newest model in JP. pretty neat and clean.

RoseLoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2005, 10:37 PM   #9

hey everyone,

some great news. I finally got the r300 pigment inking system installed that I bought on ebay from jlwsales. installed easily. the hardest part is to get the screws back on the cartridge cover without dropping the screws into the printer. I used non hardening clay (sculpti I happened to have nearby) to attach the screw to the screwdriver and the stickiness was enough to prevent the screw from dropping of the driver, but easily cleaned off the top of the screw once back in.

The prints look good. Will be better when i get the right profile...but still look pretty good. when I compare the test prints done with the dye ink before I removed the cartridges with the pigment ink print printed on the "vivid" mode, it looks pretty close. Pigment ink is notoriously less brilliant - but the vivid setting helps that.

I am going to try ironing onto a shirt from this system with transfer paper. will let you know how that works. I have never tried the writing on cd function - but just found some writable cd's at sam's club. BTW, for those of you still using regular cartridges, SAM's club now carries them for the r300. Finally now that I hopefully won't need them anymore.

To clear the dye ink from the printer, I ran a 6 color test print I found online thru about 10 times. I will attach it. I will just make sure to print something a few times a week and things should be fine.

I haven't sprayed with water to test it...but I am going to assume it is good for now. I will answer all questions you have...just write me. Amethyst

Attached Images