Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Nov 6, 2004, 4:57 AM   #1

I know this must sound strange, but I'm looking for a printer to print a small book (about 150 pages doublesided). The book includes text and highquality photographs ( 6megapixel ). Does anyone have a recomendation on what printer would be suitible? A very big concern is crisp text aswell as durability, should I go for a complete pigment-ink based system as the epson r 800 or would a canon pixma 4000 with black pigment ink do the job??

Thanx for your Time

Regards Martin
Cryptos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 6, 2004, 1:46 PM   #2

Just one copy? If you're doing a lot of copies, you might consider sending the job out. If you're going to print justone copy, most any good inkjet printer would work. The printers will require color separations of the photos. They usually do paper paste-ups but might also work directly from computerfiles.

I used to do missionary newsletters for my son. I found the least expensive way to do it was to use two files, one with just the black text and one with just the color highlights. I sent the black and white file out for commercial copying, then fed the copies into my color printer to add the color highlights and pictures. Saved a lot of money by cutting down color copying and black injet ink.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2004, 3:24 AM   #3

Cryptos wrote:
Quote:
I know this must sound strange, but I'm looking for a printer to print a small book (about 150 pages doublesided). The book includes text and highquality photographs ( 6megapixel ). Does anyone have a recomendation on what printer would be suitible? A very big concern is crisp text aswell as durability, should I go for a complete pigment-ink based system as the epson r 800 or would a canon pixma 4000 with black pigment ink do the job??

Thanx for your Time

Regards Martin
Since you want double sided print, if you have color illustrations and want to keep them in color, then an all pigment inkjet printer should be better. Pigment ink tends to sit more on top of the paper rather than being absorbed into the paper. This results in less visibility of the front side ink from the back side and vice versa.

If the illustrations can be in black & white, then a laser printer would be the best. The cost of toner is cheaper than ink cartridges and toner really sits on top of the paper even more than pigment ink.

Skylark
skylark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2004, 9:03 AM   #4

I would be printing about 4 copies. With color photos.

Thanx for all your advice. I'll most probably tend to using a pigment ink printer, because here in switzerland it is extremly costly to send out such small projects to a local printshop. And if you do, they will onlyprint with 600dpi.

Regards Martin
Cryptos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2004, 10:59 AM   #5

I purchased a Canon Pixma ip5000 to print single and double sided brochures for my company, it works great. The ip5000 has an automatic duplexer built in, as does the ip3000 and ip4000, so you don't have to worry about flipping the pages and what direction to feed them in, I always end up messing this up.

The print quality is amazing withthe HP Brochure and Flyer Glossy paper, not sure what paper you intend to use. Theip5000 usesthe BCI-3E black ink cartridge for text, sothe print is crisp and thegrapics are photo quality.

I hope this helps.
joepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2004, 3:46 PM   #6

Regarding paper, I found that HP bright white paper really works well for double sided printouts from dye based inkjet printers. The paper is heavier so it is harder to see the print from the other side and color illustrations look quite nice.

Just in case you can buy that paper where you are at, Skylark
skylark is offline   Reply With Quote