Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Nov 8, 2004, 7:32 PM   #1

Hello this is my first message so I apologise now . I'm looking for a new printer and seem to have narrowed it down to either the Canon Pixma ip5000 or the Canon i965. Can any one tell me which they think would be the better choice. Many thanks.
TSoprano is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 8, 2004, 11:20 PM   #2

Both are very good - I'm looking to get a 5000 myself as soon as Steve gives it a thumb's up. (Plus, I just love going over all the specs.)

In posting a question like this, though, it helps others to know what you want to use it for. 4x6 snapshots, letter-size portraits, b-w landscapes, etc. Plus, how much effort you want to put into making prints, as in Photoshop or in adjusting the printer driver. From what I've read, the Canons are simpler than the Epsons in that regard. Which is a plus for those of us new to inkjet printing.

Good luck.

sc21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2004, 4:31 AM   #3

Hello sc21....thanks for the reply.

I'd like to use the printer for all the reasons you mentioned (particularily snapshots) but also for printing onto CD/DVD media and prints from scanned slide and negatives.

I too like going over all the specs and reviews but as you probably know it's a headache and as yet the reviews for the ip5000 are fewand far between :?. I think I must have downloaded all the PDFs for canons Pixma range and also Epson. I was torn between Epson and Canon at first but got put off by Epsonsrunning costs - although some regard their photo quality as slightly better than Canon.

Epsons I've looked at are; R200, R300, R800.

Canons I've looked at are; I965, ip4000, ip4000d, ip5000, ip8500....

Major headache .
Old Nov 9, 2004, 12:09 PM   #4

You've done your homework, alright. I remember doing the same last year - I had a major stack of every review and forum mention of the Canon i960 and even (in my dreams) the Epson 2200. Then I burned out on all the talk of metamerism, banding, bronzing, orange shifts, clogging, etc, and decided to just stick with learning Photoshop and send out prints to Shutterfly.

But I found it's apain to upload prints over a slow dial-up that keeps kicking out, and to wait for a sale, and so on, and then find you want to shift the colors a little and have to start all over again.

So right now we're in the same boat. I've opted for Canon just to simplify my choices. Epson used to be the one and only king of the hill, but the i series printers have given them a challenge, and I like the lower costs and easier interface. (Though, that said,Epson's R series printers get a lot of raves as well.)

Hopefully there's those with experience with those printers who can help you with your decision.

Old Nov 9, 2004, 2:10 PM   #5

Hello sc21,

I must say I likethis website, very well designed . I know what you mean about a slow dial-up ! I mean mine on a good day connects at 45.2kbs (not bad) but broadband would be much better and cheaper :roll:.

Like you say, some of the reviewers on these pages speak quite favourably of the ip5000 so it is beginning to look good. Now I'm going to have to choose a scanner as well which has already taken me through every review and website I could find .

Scanners viewed:

Epson 3170, 4180, 4780

Canon 8000f, 8400f....

Think the 8400f looks good. Amazon are also good for reviews I think !
Old Nov 11, 2004, 2:21 AM   #6

Looks like we got this forum to ourselves. I haven't much of a clue about scanners. I was actually going to tell you to check this great site called steves-digicams, but then I was like, wait, I think he's heard of it...

I just saw your location - are you reallyon Cape Verde? A friend of mine on Cape Cod is a Cape Verdean Indian. Must be a great place for pictures.

Enjoy it for us, will ya? My bird bath is frozen.

Old Nov 11, 2004, 4:52 AM   #7

Hello sc21,

Yes, we certainly do have this forum to ourselves and yes, I do live here in Cape Verde......and yes my name is Tsoprano :lol:. You know what it's like, you create a personna for youself and it sort of escalates. Mind you, this is only the second forum I have ever registered with the other one being AVForums.com (slight clue to my location there :idea.

So, have you decided which printer or are you still having mixed feelings like me ? I read another webiste yesterday where some people were in the same boat as you and I and had to laugh when they came to the conclusion that they would wait for someone else to buy it before they made up their minds. Some thought the ip5000 may be a gimmick but I'm not sure. Others on this forum really like it.

Anyway, hope your birdbath thaws out - here the sun is blazing through the window and I feel like a Tomato in a greenhouse :?.
Old Nov 22, 2004, 2:42 PM   #8
sun

:?Hi , I took the plunge and bought the canon 5000 and no regrets yet, it has only been out one month here in canada, so a bit hard to assess. I have used it for text and photos and am impressed by quality of both. My neighboour had one so I was able to get a first hand critique and view some of his productions and that is what convinced me. As far as scanners i purchased a canon canoscan Lide 80 which is a small compact unit, only downside is that you can't do slides. But that wasn't my need anyway. they are really into multifunction machines here and I don't like the concept.

One of the biggest reasons I chose these products is the support that canon offers its customers. I have experienced very good after market help having started out with a early model then their notebook printer that I keep in my computer case when I travel. It makes me feel better to see that others are now going through the review of specs and reading reviews just like I did last month. Good luck in your adventures!!!! Regards
sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2004, 2:42 PM   #9
sun

Sorry I don't know why this posted 2 X.
sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2004, 8:43 AM   #10

Hello Sun,

Nice to see you've bought a Pixma ip5000. I suppose you were grateful to have a neighbour who had bought the same model and could give yousome reliable feedback :-). I've actually just taken delivery of the Canon i965....not Canons latest model but has received great reviews and was £100 cheaper . Maybe we can compare notes :idea:.

As for scanners, when I get some more money I'll think I shall go for the Canon 8400f....or perhaps Santa will get me one :lol:.