Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Nov 9, 2004, 3:08 PM   #1

Hello everyone, nice forum you got here. I hope to get the information I need and make my mind at last. I want to buy a photoprinter for everything. Not only to print photos, but to print on CDs and DVDs, to print documents and so on. I choose between these 2 models and simply can't make up my mind.

Pixma iP5000:
+1 pl.
+9600x2400 for color prints
+Speed. It's much faster than iP6000D
-3 color and 2 black ink tanks
-300x300 for black prints

Pixma iP6000D:
-2 pl. (2-5 written on Canadian Web Site)
-4800x1200 for color and black prints
-Speed
+5 color and 1 ink tanks
+LCD screen and control buttons
+Card Reader

I saw a review on tomshardware.com site and iP4000 color print looks better, than iP5000 print (which also has some spots on it). Maybe it's driver properties...
But can anyone tell me, whick printer has better photo quality? Are there any scans to see the difference?

Thanks.
crBlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 10, 2004, 1:33 PM   #2

Hmm, no replies. Doesn't matter, will but iP5000. Sent an e-mail to Canon today. They think 5000 will be better choise. But i suggested to buy it before writing a letter, so the just agreed woth me:lol:
Old Nov 10, 2004, 4:25 PM   #3

CR,

I just bought a ip6000d and couldn't be more pleased. The package comes with 5 4x6 Canon Photo Pro glossy papers, and the very first one I tried looks like a photo lab shot. I had some 8.5x11 kodak paper and this also worked well. The card reader is a feature that many say is wasted, but I wanted to have that option. I went with the 6000 after reading Neil Slades review on printers, and he says that the 6 colors are the best and 8 colors are a little overkill. Also, many are saying that the 1 pc size may clog more, don't really know if that's true, but didn't want to take that chance. I love it so far...........

Bill

wharrisIU1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2004, 1:27 AM   #4

There is also a review (Pixma iP4000) on this site, where this printer was better, than 6 color one. Anyways, these new Pixma printers simply rule. I need to print a lot of text, not only photos (and CD covers and stuff like that), so iP5000 will be better.

Thans for help anyway:-)
Old Nov 11, 2004, 2:54 PM   #5

This Topic is quite apropo since I'm trying to decide which of these to buy ... I'm leaning towards the ip5000 but am concerned (as well as enticed) by the finer drop volume (1pl) and neither photo cyan or photo magenta inks. Has anyone seen a heads up comparison between the two? Or even a detailed review of both printers?

Thanks!
wmorgart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2004, 9:43 PM   #6

I wrote to Canon asking how I can get test prints, and they sent me this:

Yes, test prints are available for the PIXMA iP3000, iP4000, and iP5000.
Our Pre-Sales agents can assist you with product information, dealer
locations, and test prints. Please provide your complete mailing
address and which test print you wish to receive. Please call our
Canon Pre-Sales Department at 1(800)652-2666 between 8:00 am and
midnight ET, seven days a week.

sc21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2005, 6:32 AM   #7

IP5000 was not as clear at printing I did not feel compared to the IP6000 but compared to a normal photo I would say that IP6000D over emphasises the colours slightly but to be honest I like the richer colours so I'd go with the 6000.
Fussybuyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2005, 10:25 PM   #8

Just spoke with Canon and the speed difference in text is considerable: 6000 = 11 ppm and the 5000 = 25 ppm. They said photo printing speed is much closer between the two. I have not seen the difference in photo quality, but for a general purpose printer which will be used for both text and photo's, I am leaning toward the 5000. It's just like every other damn product line. No one product will meet all my needs exactly... Why can't they just make a great 6 or 8 color printer that will shoot out text at a decent speed??

bigboyhf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2005, 10:36 AM   #9

Quote:
Why can't they just make a great 6 or 8 color printer that will shoot out text at a decent speed??
6 or 8 color photo printers don't usually have a large black pigmented ink tank. They have to mix the colors to give a dark black text. Text is therefore slow and cost per page is high.

With the HP 8450 you can swap out the black tank and get the best of both, but it is a hassle swapping out the tanks. You do get a large pigmented black tank that isn't going to cost a fortune for large amounts of text. The Epson R800 is fairly quick with text, but the black tank is small.

For the Canon line it is a better idea to go with the iP4000/5000 if you plan to print text. The photos are quite nice.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2005, 12:10 AM   #10

I own the Canon ip5000 but haven't seen prints of the ip6000 so I can't compare it but I can say the 5000 is a fantastic printer. I havereadcriticisms of the 5000 on thisforum (interestingly enough never by an owner) which make me think they mustnot have used theright settings when printing. That is the only possible explanation I can come up with asthe photos I print when using high quality and Canon photo paper are every bit as good as a high quality photo lab.
beernutz is offline   Reply With Quote