Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Nov 17, 2004, 8:31 AM   #1

I gave up photography in 1994 when I went to school and lost access to a darkroom. Got a digital rebel last spring and again find I love taking photos. Now its time to get a printer.

I have agreat love of B&W and consider that more important to me than color. Originally I was sure the Canon i9900 was right and then I read it doesn't do well with B&W.

Although it would be nice to be able to print larger than 8.5x11, I will rarely do so. Speed is also not much of a factor.

After more reading, I learned about the HP 7960 which has a gray scale ink cartridge that is amazing. Of course I have heard that HP ink is expensive and one must really stay with their brand and not generic inks.

For now I was thinking about buying a HP 7760 and using it exclusively for B&W prints. Then at some point buying the i9900 or the pixma i4000 for the rest of my color printing. Of course this is all just a hobby and having 2 printers is a lot. On the other hand, compared to the cost, mess, and space of a darkroom, this is nothing.

Here are my questions:

1. Is it a good plan to buy the HP 7760 as cheap as possible fora designated B&W printer or is it possible to get good enough B&W results from the Canon printers?

2. How much does the HP ink really cost? How many 8.5x11 B&Ws can i print with one cartridge of grayscale?

3. Should I really just spring for a bit more and get the HP 8450 so I can print quality color as well? Is the ink not that much more expensive?

4. Is there a fantastic looking pearl paper that can be used with the HP printers?

5. Is there a wide carriage HP printer that will satisfy all my needs and not leave me penniless from ink purchases?

I've learned so much for reading through these discussions. Many thanks. I had no idea there are so many nuances to finding a printer that truly satisfies.

I look forward to hearing some response.

Thanks
dan
CT guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links