Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Oct 21, 2002, 5:02 PM   #1

Default HP printer versus Canon printer??

I'm trying to decide which of the following printers are better printing photos: On one hand I have the hp7530 which has the two print cartriges and prints at 4800dpi and on the other I have the canon s900 which prints at 2400dpi.. I like the canon for the separate cartridges and the black ink where as the hp only has two cartridges and mixes the colour to get black. But which one has better photo printing quality?
PureSyN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 21, 2002, 6:42 PM   #2

i would put my money down on the canon.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2002, 3:12 AM   #3

I wouldn't pay much attention to the DPI figures - having a higher DPI number might just mean that the marketing people have devised a different measure.

There has been a lot of discussion on other forums about whether photo printers use the black cartridge for printing photos. The general conclusion seems to be that black is produced on all printers by mixing colours, but that black from the black ink cartridge is one of the colours used in the mix. So the point about the HP mixing colours to produce black for photo printing is not really relevant.

I assume that you are talking about the Canon 7350 rather than the 7530.

Quick summary:
Photo print quality - similar
HP - better on text, better print longevity
Canon - faster, cheaper ink costs, more flexible for borderless

The HP also has the ability to print direct from a camera or memory card which the Canon does not have, so you will have to decide whether this feature is important to you.

Chris
Chris R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2002, 3:27 PM   #4

I prefer the HP printer over the cannon. The HP7350 comes with 57 and 58 cartridges which mixes colors to produce black. It also comes with a separate 56 black cartridge. I own the HP5550 which has the same engine as the HP7350 but does not come with ability to print directly from the media. You can install the 58 cartridge in the HP5550 to obtain six color printing.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2002, 2:29 PM   #5

The hp uses 2 cartridges with 6 different inks. One cartridges has the photo black, photo cyan and and photo magenta I belive. I am 100 % certain with the photo black. When doing regular printing a black cartridge can be bought and put into the slot where the photo cartridge goes into.
vpatel98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2002, 2:43 PM   #6

I have been curious with the exchangeable printhead that Canon installs. I have looked at the Canon site and run searches to determine the procedures for this process. I have been burnt before by Cannon and Epson using alot of ink to recharge the printheads each time the printer is activated. I moved to HP printers several years ago because the printhead comes with the cartridge and you do not waste ink each time the printer is used. I then started to refill my own cartridges and obtain several uses out of HP cartridge before the printhead would wear out. This is a link on instructions on refilling HP cartridges:
http://www.refillink.nl/UK/hp_uk.htm
I read great things about the Canon printers on this web site but would be interested in a link that includes instructions on changing out the printheads.
Old Oct 28, 2002, 3:57 PM   #7

Maybe this will help.

http://12.129.248.84/techsupport.php...900/step3.html
John Maddox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2002, 4:39 PM   #8

John

Thanks.
Old Oct 28, 2002, 7:25 PM   #9

Default hey

if your smart and want to save money...go with Canon. HP is on the other end of that spectrum. (epsons are good to..depends on which model tho).

check out the prices for ink for the printer you are considering and the amount of ink you are getting at www.printcountry.com.

MOST PC desktop printers are RGB printers...they basically take a RGB image (say from photoshop) and then convert it to the printer's 4 colors (or 6 colors, etc). 4 color is Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, and BlacK (CMYK). RGB images are converted to CMYK and the black ink is actually used to enhance the prints (Rich Black). Most printers that use just CMY and NO Black ink do not print very well compared to ones that use all 4. CMY in theory is supposed to creat BLACK...but due to impurities in the ink, u get muddy brown....so blacK is used to enforce the blacks adn shadow areas.

Postscript printers can print the CMYK values that you specify (RGB printers cannot, since they basically are just converting RGB data to (actually then Lab data and then) CMYK data. (u can get Postscript RIP software for EPSONs by Epson if u have a RGB PC desktop inkjet.)

so if your image says 100% blacK in your CMYK mode image..then the printer will use ONLY 100% Black. which is not a very dense black in comparasion to RGB image using RICH BLACK (mixture of CMYK ink up to 300% ink limit, anything higehr on most inkjets and medias will result in media oversaturating and bleeding).

all in all, RGB data is better than CMYK only images...larger color gammut, smaller file sizes, faster processing and more plugins and filters are available to RGB images in photo editing software. (but you will find professinal printing companies prefer CMYK mode images opposed to RGB because they do not know that RGB is truellly better (stuck in their old school ways)... more and more printing presses are becoming digital...so RGB will produce better brighter colored images).

when it comes to 6 color printing, the printer driver decides which areas will perform better using those 2 extra colors opposed to just 4.

the dpi numbers you are seeing are APPARENT resolutiuons. most heads actaully don;t have that many nozzles (holes) per inch, the way the printer advances the paper and how many passes blend the colors make the image look better than it should.

DigitalArtist71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2002, 7:18 PM   #10

Wow, thanx information overload!!!
I don't really care too much about the price I just want to have outstanding pictures printed out. I know the canon is cheaper but at the same time I want to know which one has better picture printing outcome. Thanx for all the input guys.
PureSyN is offline   Reply With Quote