Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Nov 18, 2004, 10:11 AM   #1
RAP

I just bought the HP 8450 printer and want to connect it to my home network without using a USB to any computer.

I have DSL and a Linksys router and MS XP Home.

Since the 8450 is "network-ready out of the box and can be connected directly to any Ethernet LAN switch, hub or router and shared with other users", I connected it using the instructions in the HP manual for connecting it to a network. This did not call for using a USB.

After the install, I can see and print to the printer. I get ink levels so I believe that there is two way communications. The problem I'm having is that I can notaccess the card reader in the printer from the computer. I know I can print directly from the printer but I would also like to be able to access a card in the printers reader from any computer in the network.

When I called HP, I got information tht seems to contridict what the HP manual says.

The guy at HP said I needed to be connected to one computer using a USB cable in order for this printer to work within the network. However the manual says that

"after installation, printing is identical to printing through a USB connection."

I don't know enough about this to sit there and argue with the HP guy but is doen't make sence to me that I would need a USB connected to one computer if HP went to the trouble to put a built in printer server allowing a direct connection using a cat 5.

Has anyone had success connecting this or any printer this way?
RAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 20, 2004, 8:33 PM   #2
RAP

Well, I finally got it to work the way it was designed. The "tech" at HP was a total waste and knew nothing about his product. Not only did he not know the capabilities of this product, he lead me down the wrong path that ended up costing me even more time.

The printer is everything we wanted. It makes prints that look as good as professional processed and we can now use it from any computer in the house. We can put the camera's memory card into the printer and read it or download from any computer. Way to go HP, now just train the guys answering the phone and you'll be in great shape.
Old Dec 5, 2004, 10:41 AM   #3

I just obtained the HP8450. I am totally new to printing photos. It is still setting here in the box as I type this. I am glad you are getting great results from it and hope to obtain the same. Any information and tips will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2004, 3:26 PM   #4
RAP

I'm sure you will enjoy the results you'll get from this printer. I don 't know if you plan on networking this printer or not. One of the reasons I picked this printer was it's built-in ability to network. The problem I was having setting up mine was with my firewall. Once I turned off the firewall inALL computers, not just the one I was setting up, I had no problem.

The "tech" from HP didn't realize that this printer could network without being connected to a computer. He said the only way was to connect to a computer and I did NOT want to do that.

Enjoy!