Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Nov 20, 2004, 4:35 AM   #1

Well, I've done all my homework, and I've settled on a Canon i960 as a good intro photo printer.

I've been reading up on the paper types, though, and I'm beginning to doubt I really want to put this much time, cash, and effort into making prints that, for all their quality, may well not last more thana year.

I know that Ilford Classic Pearl and Epson Heavyweight Matte help with the longevity, and that Canon boosted their own Pro paper, but still, they won't be able to match Fuji Crystal Archive paper. And I'd like to be able to give prints to friends that they'll be able to appreciate years from now, as well as sell prints in some local stores.

For my own prints, I can't put everyone I make behind glass, and I'm not sure if they'll last in regular 8.5x11 archival album pages, which aren't sealed at the end.

What's your own experience with dye inkjet printers, and how have you reconciled the impermenance issue with all you put into your prints?

For the record, I'm in coastal Maine, so you wouldn't think there'd be much ozone, but Bar Harbor has the worstairin New England, and we get all the pollutants from the midwest blowing through.

Thanks for any insight into this.

sc21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 20, 2004, 7:25 AM   #2

Glad to hear you've decided on the Canon i960 . I too decided that the Canon i965 would be my best choice and at £100 off it was a bargain . Strange that the latest Canon printers are not the obvious first choice....looks like style over substance :?. Regards,

Tony S.
TSoprano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2004, 10:36 AM   #3
Administrator

Well... I've got some prints that still look fine that I printedyears ago on inkjets using nothing more than a store brand generic photo paper. But, I've seen some fade very quickly too. Paper type seems to make a big difference (and my favorite paperis no longer available -- Target Store Brand Premium Glossy Photo Paper). :-) I wish I knew who made it for them (I've still got an empty box of it packed away somewhere, but I've gave up trying to find more of it). Of course, they may have had more than one paper supplier, too.

Kodak says that their new Ultima Picture Paper will last over 100 years, without worrying about keeping them under glass, etc.). You'llsee some links to white papers on the technology they're using here:

http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQuerier.jhtml?pq-path=9/36/98&pq-locale=en_US

Here's a quote from their marketing material:

Quote:
TheKodak ColorLastâ„¢ technology locks ink molecules into the image layer, protecting your picture from fading factors. Using a unique blend of mordants (additives to "fix" the dyes) in the bottom two layers, along with nanoparticulate ceramic particles in the top layer to further stabilize the image, Kodak scientists have engineered a significant leap in longevity and color reproduction.
Retail on this paper is a little high, but Costco sells it for $24.99 for 75 of the 8 1/2 x 11" Sheets (works out to around 30 cents for each of my album pages, with multiple prints of various sizes per page with the Epson Film Factory software I usuallyuse).

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?prodid=10042787&whse=&topnav= &cat=

I never buy 4x6" paper (I either use Epson Film Factory, or HP Photo Printing Software to print multiple prints per page). I use the Epson Software for Album pages, or the HP software when I actually want smaller prints (it can fill the page with prints of different sizes, then Icut them out). This comes in handy for giving wallet size photos to friends, while still having 4x6", 5x7" prints, etc., on the same page (the software has a variety of templates to choose from).

I haven't tried this newKodak Ultima paper on a Canon printer yet (although I have used it with an HP Photosmart 1215 printer before with good results). I recently bought a Canon Pixma IP4000, so I'll order some more of the paper and try it again soon (I suspect that I'll need to tweak the colors some for the paper though).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2004, 10:31 PM   #4

Thanks, Tony and Tim. I'd heard something about a new Kodak paper, but wasn't sure which kind it was. Unfortunately, from what I've gathered, Kodak papers don't fare well in Canon machines - it's mostly Epson and Ilford. Hopefully in a few years they'll have worked out some new papers.

Right now I'm thinking about some of those self-sealing archival sleeves.

http://www.archivalusa.com/tse811.html

Anyone have any experience with them?

sc21 is offline   Reply With Quote