Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Oct 22, 2002, 11:33 AM   #1

Default 3 dead Epson Printers

Hello - this is my first post.

I have 3 dead Epson printers. The reason they are dead is probably because I did not print on them every day and now the pront heads are completely clogged. I have run the cleaning utilities into the dirt, and still none of the printers are producing correctly.

None of the printers were the really expensive kind, the last one being an Epson 900 refurbished for $99, and I am looking for input as to what I should do with these printers.

:?: How much does it usually cost to get them serviced? Is it even worth it? Or should I bite the bullet and buy another printer?

As far as another printer is concerned, I am really tired of Epsons. Our budget is in the $200 range (for heavy personal use, regular printing plus home photos up to 8x10).

Thank you for your input!!
ashortridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 22, 2002, 12:17 PM   #2

I also have a dead Epson.That's why I
changed to Canon. You can change the
print head on the Canon,and they have
individual ink tanks. I am using the S750,
(although it's only a 4 color printer) it still
prints great pictures.
John Maddox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2002, 12:41 PM   #3
lg

Default Still an Epson fan...

I've been through 3 Epsons myself, a 440, 800, and 880. While all were prone to clog, I learned that the best way to prevent that was to turn the printer off when not in use. When powered down, I didn't have that problem with having to clean the print head-- it was only when I had left the printer ON.

I like the straight through paper path of the Epson, which for me means virtually never having a printer jam. I also like the ability to print a stack of envelopes or cards instead of having to feed them in one at a time. And now, with the Epson C80 I purchased, I have a really fast printer with separate ink cartridges and color longevity advertised to be fade free for 70 years...

Enough about Epson; regardless of the inkjet printer you buy, you'll spend much more over the life of the printer buying ink cartridges that you spend for the printer initially. Printer repair costs are more than likely going to be 50% or more than the cost of a new printer, so I'd recommend buying another printer rather than fixing the old one. If your budget is $200, you should be able to find a good printer for under that - mine was only $150.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2002, 8:19 PM   #4

Unplug the printer. Gently slide the printhead to the left. Place several drops of windex on the cleaning pad. Slide the head back and let it soak overnight. Next day you should be able to run a cleaning cycle and be back in business.

Hint for the future: Print print print. Epsons need to be used daily. I've had my Epson for over 4 years. My heads clogged when it was about a year old. I've "repaired" several using the procedure above.

I also use PrintRite brand ink. It is available from www.computergate.com for MUCH less than Epson Ink.
jbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2002, 10:32 AM   #5

Drats! I already got rid of the printers before I could try that trick. Thanks a lot!!
ashortridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2003, 10:32 PM   #6

I am in the process of trying to clean my print head using the windex method suggested. In looking closely at my printer I am also noticing that the foam pad that runs the length of the printer is also soaked with ink. Is this normal? Is there anyway to clean this other than soaking it up with q-tips (which is a very slow process)? Thanks for any advice.
dnair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2003, 11:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnair
I am in the process of trying to clean my print head using the windex method suggested. In looking closely at my printer I am also noticing that the foam pad that runs the length of the printer is also soaked with ink. Is this normal? Is there anyway to clean this other than soaking it up with q-tips (which is a very slow process)? Thanks for any advice.
Paper towel.

I've had my epson 980 for 3 years. It gets used by three people in the house. So it gets used daily pretty well. I've had a clog here and there but nothing a clean cylce or two would'nt fix. I also get to do something that you can't do with epson printers today. I take the ink out when it says its empty and I put it back in do 3 cleaning cycles and usually get another half to 3/4 ink tank out of it. This method gets me about 2000 pages in black and 500-700 in color. Also the funny thing is that it prints a better picture than the canon i850 or even the epson c82. I saw some new ones on ebay for 99 bucks. Just be warned this printer sounds like a tank. But it keeps on chugging them out forever not to mention the ink tanks last forever.

Personally I would opt to clean up that epson 900. Its well worth it. The inks on that printer last longer than any inkjet printer on the market today.
Gregersonsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2003, 6:55 PM   #8

Thanks for the advice on the paper towel, defintely sped things up, but still went through a lot of q-tips getting what the paper towel missed. Actually I have 1280, not the 900 (I'm not the one that started this post). Unfortunately cleaning didn't help my problem, which is colored bands on each edge of my print (running horizontal with the print head). Aligning the print heads has not improved things either. The bands are about 5/32" from the edge of the page, so I can get a decent print if I use oversize paper and leave large margins. Epson has not been too helpful. Has anyone had this problem before? THanks
Old Feb 23, 2003, 10:29 PM   #9

interesting!!!!

I've never seen that problem before.

I would check into reinstalling the drivers. With the latest driver set. Also I would see if the problem happens with different programs, papers or just one.
Gregersonsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2003, 5:53 PM   #10

I have tried deleting and re-installing the software and drivers, but it doesn't seem to help. I get the exact same results using both Photoshop and Qimage, as well as on 3 different Epson papers. I guess I will just have to follow Epson's advice and take it in for service. Thanks