Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Nov 22, 2004, 8:01 AM   #1

I just recently got my i9900 and am fairly pleased with it except that the prints seem to be way darker then what i see on my monitor. I've tried everything i can think of from adjusting my monitor to turning the color management on the 9900 off then on again. Any help would be greatly appreciated as i am getting very frustrated with this issue. thanks
dub97603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 27, 2004, 6:10 PM   #2

You can adjust coloring so that the colors in the printed results are closer to what you expect.
If your application is ready for ICM (Image Color Management ), you can adjust colors using ICM.

Adjusting Colors with the Printer Driver

1. Select Manual for Color Adjustment on the Main tab.

2. Click Set... to open the Manual Color Adjustment dialog box.

3. Adjust Color Balance.

4. Adjust Intensity.

5. Select Print Type.

6. SELECT BRIGHTNESS.

7. Click OK.

The Main tab is displayed again.

wyndstryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2005, 7:33 PM   #3

This is usually caused by the monitor and printer not being calibrated together. Sure, the monitor can be adjusted, but the part of the monitor curve that usually needs to change can't be adjusted from the monitor controls.

In Photoshop, there is a utility called Adobe_gamma or something similar. (Older version of PS have this built into the preferences). I just used it last night to calibrate my monitor. It created a curve for the monitor as well as directing my adjustment of the monitor brightnesss and contrast settings. The main thing that the ICM profile does is adjust for the phosphor colors and the monitor gamma. Once those are set, things get a lot closer between the monitor and the print.

Other editing packages may have calibration utilities, or you can try to find a profile for your particular monitor, but then you still have to ge the brightness and contrast (and color temp, if available) set correctly.

There are also products just for monitor calibration, but they are probably $200+.

This is the biggest problem with digital photography, but once you get it worked out, it't well worth the aggravation.

Of course, you can print a test page and then try to adjust you monitor to look like the printout, but you may have difficulties - you can get it right in the sahdows, but not the highlights or mid-tones.
mark.huth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2005, 1:10 AM   #4

I get much better results my turning off the auto feature under the colour options, and choosing manual and photo (assuming it's a photo that is) or selecting none even. When I select none, the printer does not alter any colours as it thinks best, so I get much more accurate results. Also make sure you use Canon paper, especially if it's photo's you're doing. The differences I get from using Epson paper (wrong colours, dark printouts) and Canon papers is amazing. Different manufacturers use differing types of ink which is geared to their own papers I expect.
pbar is offline   Reply With Quote