Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Nov 24, 2004, 2:46 PM   #11

Thanks for the input guys. These printers just seem so close. I don't really need the LCD of the 6000 and the 5000 is a bit more than the 4000 but if the photo quality is the same I'll probably just go with the 4000.
str1der is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2004, 1:58 AM   #12

I have compared the 6 colors with the IP5000.

Here's where the quality for photo sits like:
Canon 8 color
|-----------------|---------------|--------|
i860/iP4000 ip5000 i950/i960/ip6000d
raist3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2004, 2:12 AM   #13

str1der wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the input guys. These printers just seem so close. I don't really need the LCD of the 6000 and the 5000 is a bit more than the 4000 but if the photo quality is the same I'll probably just go with the 4000.

I wish Steve would review the iP5000 and compare it to the iP4000. I think it was Cnet and another equally questionable source that liked the photos a little better on the 4000. I would trust Steve's tests a lot more. The iP4000 is supposed to be a little faster.

Buy.com has the iP4000 for $120 and free shipping. I've been happy with mine but have no way to compare it to the 5000. I don't think you want a pure photo printer like the 6000 if it is to be your only printer unless you print only photos.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2004, 2:26 AM   #14

I like the output of the 4000 better than the 5000. The colors are dull from the 5000 and the whole pic looks less impressive that you would expect for the $200 price tag. I have done some comparisons and I must say, there is not a very visible resolution difference between the two, even though technically, the 5000 has 4 times the dots.

I am getting a 6000D for Christmas. I can see a clear color difference in natural colors and in gradations of color. The fact that the prints take longer than the 4000 is not a concern for me and the quality is that of wet chemical processing.

Hope this helps.

Mike
DrDictionary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2004, 1:59 PM   #15

Hi sorry to butt in but i have been a lurker but now... im out.

I just got a pana fz20 and love it but..... now i need a printer i wanted the 8 color which i think one is a i9900,...but i cant seem to find one anywhere so now i am looking for the six color andits between the i900d or ip6000d..out of the three (if i ever do find the i9900 that is) what one wins...i dont care about the speed all that much... just want the best photos i can get at home.

Thanks Laura.....:?
fotomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2004, 7:40 PM   #16

The 6000d is the Pixma update of the 900d, both A4 size printers. The 8 colour equivalent would be the iP8500. The i9900 is an A3 and you pay a premium for that size unit.
Paul_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2004, 8:46 PM   #17

Thank you for the quick response ,and i messed up yes i did say the i9900 and how i would love that one but no can do, My husband just bought me the FZ20 and i am not gonna push my luck ...

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"But the oneI meant was the S9000 ,so between the three what one is the winner or who likes what about them, My son and husband went out today and he was asking me about the hp and I said no not that one but I have a funny feeling he got that,soI will return it and hurt his feelings although he wouldn"t show it.... ButI have left him hints and showed him the 2 but not the S9000 can"t find that one...so ifI can figure out what oneI want ,just maybe andI mean maybe he will switch it on his own and all will be great! And once again.... thank you... thank you and thank you!!

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000" Laura
fotomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2004, 1:26 PM   #18

Did you compare the 5000 with the 6 color models such as the I965 and ip6000?

Here's some data on the 5000 I've gathered from reviews:

On default settings and higherst res (1pl) people agree the 5000 prints weaker color/density than the 4000, due to driver settings. This is causing a lot of people to dislike the 5000 priniting. So, unfortunalty I'm not sure if people's poor responses are actually due to printer hardware limitations, or drivers.

Vincent from photo-i UK (by far the best printer reviewer) said by increasing density 10% in drivers he got results as good or better than most everything else. So, there is that... He also pointed out smaller droplets can more than compensate for light inks, as his first 4 color 2pl beat his 4pl 6 color.

As far as dot size goes, I doubt the 1 pl is actually half the size and 1/4 the area of a 2pl droplet in diameter. In volume it should be half, not diameter.

Another thing worth considering, is that "6 colors" only have lighter magenta and cyan, so really they're still a 4 color that is compensating for droplet size and inability to create continuous tone. Dyesubs for example are all 4 color, but continuous tone which makes the difference. A smaller droplet can compensate with additional dithering, and produce finer detail approaching continuous tone, the only question is whether 1pl as opposed to 2pl is small enough.

So, the real questions seem to be whether the 1pl is small enough to dither equal or superior results to 2pl light inks, and whether people have thier drivers set for maximum printer capabilities as opposed to poor defaults which are certainly weak.

I plan on buying the ip5000 and doing some tests. If it's no good, then I'll probably go to the i960 which is superior in many regards to the ip6000.

Lastly, the 8 colors will of course have better gamut, due to truely having additional colors, not just light variations.
Tucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2004, 7:04 PM   #19

Opened this topic:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...91&forum_id=40

Tucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2005, 2:18 AM   #20

Its in my humble opinion that comparing the same photo produced by an Epson R300, a Pixma IP5000 and an IP6000D that the 6000D wins quite comfortably.

The photo in question was family photo so plenty of chance to get the face/skin tones right. Also bright yellow flowers, a lovely green grass and in the background trees basking in the sun.

The IP5000 was disappointing, the colours not vibrant enough, the flowers looking distinctly ordinary, the beauty of the background lost , skin tones almost non-existent and the colour contrast generally just not good enough.

The Epson R300 was done as a direct print. many of the colours over-exposed, skin tones still sadly missing and edging blurred, facial detail was blurry and generally made the photo a little out of focus.

The IP6000D whilst being the most expensive did a sterling job by all accounts. the background of the trees captured beatifully, eding great and colours natural, skin tones were fab, my Mums rosy red cheeks picked out a treat and the flowers in the forefront as eyecatching as they should be.

The IP6000D looked the closest to a real developed photo so I will be paying that little exgtra and getting what I perceive to be a cracking 6 ink printer.

Fussybuyer is offline   Reply With Quote