Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old May 27, 2005, 11:48 AM   #21

Tucker wrote:
Quote:
I plan on buying the ip5000 and doing some tests. If it's no good, then I'll probably go to the i960 which is superior in many regards to the ip6000.
Tucker, I noticed in another post that you have since purchased the ip5000. Have you had a chance yet to compare prints from the ip5000 (with the intensity turned up manually in print settings +10) with those from the ip6000 or i960?

Also, there is a significant price difference between the i960 and ip6000, with the i960 around $100 less. Why do you believe the i960 is superior to the ip6000?

Thanks, Jeff.
lawyerboy2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2005, 9:58 AM   #22

Tucker

Yes I totally agree with photo-i, the trouble is with PC mag is quote" the ip5000 is one step lower in photo quality than the ip4000" unquote, which is totally wrong if you compare the time it takes, which indicated he had not set it to ots best capability. This seems to have somehow 'stuck' thanks to PC Mag.

I wonder how many people calibrate their printers when doing that all important photo? All one needs to do is to print a small mono photo and adjust for best 'greyscale', once this is acheived then it will 'hold good' until you either change paper or ink brands.

I was reading that the i960 is much better than the i6000 because the ink dots on the i6000 was more noticeable which gives the picture a grainy effect. I thought the ip5000 was the replacement for the i965.

Reason I'm interested, is that I was planning getting a ip5000 be interested to compare against the i965 and had been dis-continued.

I just 'tossed the C62'.....Lol (about time too I here you say).

davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2005, 4:54 AM   #23

can you tell more about how to calibrate your printer?
mrQQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2005, 6:13 AM   #24

Its strange to me, that Steve & photo-i who did a review the Pixmas only did one model between them.

Did'nt Steve do the ip4000 and Vince at photo-i the ip5000, photo-i told me they would'nt be doing the ip4000.

This leaves me with the suspicion they don't want to do a side-by-side, is it something to do with Canon them selves and not that Steve nor photo -i does not want to.

Sure would make interesting reading and a question thats been asked and asked.

Am I right Steve? or is my mind playing evil games, any comment on this by any chance?

We're all waiting?

Davy

davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2005, 6:20 AM   #25

The 960 is superior to the 6000 in printing but not extra features. The 960 has far more nozzles and so it prints equal quality 2x fast. Other than number of nozzels, the 960 and 6000 are identical in ink, droplet size, number of colors, etc. The 6000 has duplex printing and an LCD.

I have a 5000 and it is superior to the 4000, 960, & 6000 when it's printing in 1pl mode (QL 1 with Canon Pro paper sleected) because it's 1pl droplet is actually much smaller than a 2pl droplet.

This allows the 5000 to print lighter colors with a dither rather than needing a lighter cyan or magenta ink. The smaller droplets are also less visable to the eye for less grainy images and are able to print finer detail.

Enabling "vivid" printing or incrasing intensity 5-10 will make photos as vibrant as anyone wants. Afterall, it uses the same inks as the other printers, so it's just a matter of telling it to lay down more ink, and the default settings are a touch light for some ppl's taste.
Tucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2005, 6:35 AM   #26

They might not want to do a Canon vs. Canon in the same generation. That wouldn't suprise me.

Regardless, the 5000 is clearly superior to the 4000.

Simply put, the 5000 does everything the 4000 does and more. It uses the same inks and papers, so it has the same gamut and color characteristics. The 5000 prints 1pl on it's highest QL setting (QL1) which allows for a much finer, invisable, dot grain.

The only Canon printers a new buyer should look at are the 5000, 8500, 9100, & 9900. The 6000 is an option for anyone wanting the LCD to print from the camera, but otherwise it's inferior to all of the rest in quality.
Old Jun 16, 2005, 4:45 PM   #27

hi,

this link seems to do a little comparison between the ip4000 & ip5000 along with 6 other well known printers....enjoy!

http://www.tomshardware.com/consumer...rinter-01.html

TuroK27
TuroK27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2005, 6:39 PM   #28

The problem with that review, and most printer reviews is that they're not very through.

Compare that review to this one http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/pri...000/page-1.htm
done by a pro photographer and print expert.

Canon made a mistake with the ip5000 default print settings, and opted for realistic color, as opposed to vivid color. That has nothing to do with print capability, just default settings.

Of course all it takes is adjusting the intensity up 5-10, and then setting that as default, and the 5000 prints as vividly and in higher res than other printers. But whatever.

I just hope all next gen printers from canon have the 5000's 1pl droplet, so grain finally dissapears. I'd like a large format, 1 pl, CMY RGB K + pigment K printer, based on the 5000 print head and 9000 series chasis/inks.
Old Jun 21, 2005, 11:03 PM   #29

:blah:The Canon ip6000d still produces a wider gamut of colors. The PM and PC ink is still part of the 6 color printing standard. Skin tones are still slightly better on the 6 color. Still, I bought an IP5000 because of the 1 picolitre droplet and 9600x2400 dpi! It's hard to see a lot of difference. Plus, with the BCI-3 black, I get the high yield of text printing and the extra speed from this printer! Go for it!
iSAPS Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2005, 1:15 AM   #30

Hmm...

I doubt the gamut is wider from the addition of diluted cyan and magenta, which is all the photo inks are. Actually, I don't see how that is possible from color theory.

:?

Actually, I don't see what diluted inks can do that a smaller droplet can't do better.

The cmy k process has a fixed gamut range. No amount of ink in any delivery method really changes that as all the colors are derivative of mixing those initial colors, and the color is subtractive.

Diluted inks in the "photo" carts just produce lighter droplets for the same size, i.e. more white. A small droplet does the same thing with the advantage that smaller details are also now possible.

The eye sees a 50% droplet of n size the same as a 100% droplet of .50 n size.

The addition of "real" additional colors like blue, red and green in other printers does increase gamut.