Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old May 3, 2006, 9:17 PM   #11

Sorry, I should have removed black and white printing from the equation. Yes, I do not need an inkjet for these tasks. The photo-quality inkjet I desire could be better described as a "dual purpose" printer-- the highest-quality photo prints and colorful inkjet paper prints. I take it as long as I do not have too much true black in the source material, the i9900 should do fine.

"Oh you also have a laser, forget everything I just said. For envelopes, barcodes, the hard core black and white text stuff you can pump through the laser and be happy. The photo stuff, mixed graphics and text (greetings cards) you can pump through the i9900.

I presumed you wanted a general purpose printer... as in one pritner to do everything... as in one printer period. You got a laser, laser beats pigmented ink. "
jdryyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2006, 2:03 AM   #12

jdryyz wrote:
Quote:
Sorry, I should have removed black and white printing from the equation. Yes, I do not need an inkjet for these tasks. The photo-quality inkjet I desire could be better described as a "dual purpose" printer-- the highest-quality photo prints and colorful inkjet paper prints. I take it as long as I do not have too much true black in the source material, the i9900 should do fine.

Large amounts of black would not be a problem at all. It is a photo printer after all, and your bag could be gothic churches at night.

How can I explain this in other terms. Righto... hit your way back machine to the 1980s. The IBM selectric. You had your choice between a carbon ribbon and a faboric ribbon. The carbon ribbon was a striking high contrast black. You could feel it on the page, you could spill water on it, it was sharp. Then you had the fabric ribbons... they were not as sharp, the ink would dye the paper, i.e. bleed into it, and was slightly more fuzzy, but you could get them in other colors.

Now hit the forward machine to the 21st century. You have photo papers which accept dyes very well, but pigments hang out on the surface. With a pigment black you end up with a raised matte outline that might look neet for a cartoon drawing, but none too good for a photo. You have coated inkjet papers which deal with dye much better than regular paper, which based on my casual observation a pigment ink tends to pool a little. You have matte papers which are better for pigments but pigments look flat unless you hit them with a clear varnish like layer.

And we have you... asking for a general purpose printer. You have I presume $500 to spend and want the wide model. You also have a laser, which covers your bases as far as documents are concerned... pigment with a plastic reson melted onto paper... those are hard to beat for crispness and clarity. Since you already have a document printer, one which you plan to keep about, having a pure photo printer isn't a problem... so long as you don't want cartoony outlines which odds are you do not.

Text printing and photo printing are two different worlds. You have text where sharpness of lines is paramount, and photo printing where shading is paramount. The strongpoint of the ip8500/i9900 is photoprinting, top notch in that regard. Buy it, buy it soon and be happy, for the new model will likely cost more, has the same specs, and seems to only offer an extra paper tray and cd printing.
zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote