Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Nov 28, 2004, 11:45 AM   #1

I'm planing on buying a photo printer and since my general printer died, i'll need a printer that can handlesome plain paper text documents too. The Canon Pixmax i8500 seems to be a good general purpous / photo printer, but since it uses the same ink cartriges then the Canon i9900, I don't see why the later one wouldn't work. And I know the print size factor is well worth the price upgrade for me. Is there a reason why I should notgo for the i9900 (except the price factor) ?

Jeff
jfsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 28, 2004, 1:11 PM   #2

Neither the iP8500 or the i9900 have been optimised for general printing. They are mainly targetted at photo printing. The iP3000,4000 and 5000 have a larger pigment black for text but any seriously heavy text output would be better using a cheap laser.
Paul_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2006, 5:19 PM   #3

I have been holding off on purchasing a new photo inkjet printer for a long time now and always knew the i9900 had good reviews. It also appears to have excellent driver support for Mac OS X. I know there's a new model due before the end of the year but since I may not be able to wait much longer, I will more than likely spring for the i9900 while it is still available.

My question is similar to jfsp's but with slight variation-- how is the print quality on high-end inkjet paper? Not for straight text, but for a mixure of text and graphics (think greeting cards). I need to be able to support non-photo paper applications also, while the majority of printing will still be on photo paper.

Will I still see a benefit in output quality using non-photo paper compared to say a five year old HP deskjet 950c?

Paul_D wrote:
Quote:
Neither the iP8500 or the i9900 have been optimised for general printing. They are mainly targetted at photo printing. The iP3000,4000 and 5000 have a larger pigment black for text but any seriously heavy text output would be better using a cheap laser.
jdryyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2006, 5:25 AM   #4

jfsp wrote:
Quote:

I'm planing on buying a photo printer and since my general printer died, i'll need a printer that can handlesome plain paper text documents too. The Canon Pixmax i8500 seems to be a good general purpous / photo printer, but since it uses the same ink cartriges then the Canon i9900, I don't see why the later one wouldn't work. And I know the print size factor is well worth the price upgrade for me. Is there a reason why I should notgo for the i9900 (except the price factor) ?
I'd look at theHP Photosmart 8750

As paul_d pointed out the i9950 and the ip8500 both lack pigment blacks, as does the ip6600D. The HP 8750 at the very least permits the use of either the photo grey cartridge or a text black one. One other downside to canon is a lack of object oriented printing... this is a batch of text... this is an image. HP has that, not a feature that is very handy in a photo printer but something one can appricate in a general purpose printer.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2004/12/29/are_high/page8.html
I was going to refer to Toms's hardware to conferm my statement but it would seem their test of the hp8450 vs the ip8500 showed slightly inferior text quality. Very strange as HPs typicaly have top notch text. I can't say whether they botched the test or what.

But still that link at least has photos of the ip8500 text mode... see for your self.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2006, 10:49 AM   #5

Regarding the object-oriented printing, are you saying the results won't be "as good" as photo printing or will be just plain bad? Since I've been tolerating my deskjet 950c's output for a while now, anything better than that would be an improvement. Forget about color accuracy for a moment-- even if I can take advantage of the micro-fine ink droplets of the i9900 on non-photo paper, that would be great.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'd look at theHP Photosmart 8750

As paul_d pointed out the i9950 and the ip8500 both lack pigment blacks, as does the ip6600D. The HP 8750 at the very least permits the use of either the photo grey cartridge or a text black one. One other downside to canon is a lack of object oriented printing... this is a batch of text... this is an image. HP has that, not a feature that is very handy in a photo printer but something one can appricate in a general purpose printer.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2004/12/29/are_high/page8.html
I was going to refer to Toms's hardware to conferm my statement but it would seem their test of the hp8450 vs the ip8500 showed slightly inferior text quality. Very strange as HPs typicaly have top notch text. I can't say whether they botched the test or what.

Old May 3, 2006, 1:48 PM   #6

jdryyz wrote:
Quote:
Regarding the object-oriented printing, are you saying the results won't be "as good" as photo printing or will be just plain bad? Since I've been tolerating my deskjet 950c's output for a while now, anything better than that would be an improvement. Forget about color accuracy for a moment-- even if I can take advantage of the micro-fine ink droplets of the i9900 on non-photo paper, that would be great.

Well... there are times when i'm printing where I would like this batch of text to be pigment, and this batch of stuff to be dye. HP seems to understand this, Canon only understands "it's a picture" or "it's a document".

Though on the i9900 it doesn't really matter as it's all dye. It's a photo printer, it'll do text well enough though not as well as a lesser model.

The only reason I bring up the hp8750 is it's the only a3 to have the option between a large pigmented black tank and a photo grey tank that I am aware of. Passable for bar codes, good enough for address labels that tend not to disolve with a drop of rain, and you can swipe with a highlighter without too much smugging on plain paper. Now if you are willing to ditch a3 paper you have the canon ip4200/5200 or the ip7500 if you order from japan, as well as a number of HP models. While not offering object oriented printing you can at least say "this is plain paper" (use pigment black) or "This is not plain paper" (use dye black).

Old May 3, 2006, 5:07 PM   #7

This confuses me, as according to the specs on the i9900, it is supposed to handle "plain paper". This should mean there is adequate driver support for that media type. I would think high-quality inkjet paper fits into that category also.

I could go HP again if I am forced to, but my experiences with the low-end inkjets have been terrible. Must be due to the Fiorina regime. I hope the photo-printing class is doing better.

"Well... there are times when i'm printing where I would like this batch of text to be pigment, and this batch of stuff to be dye. HP seems to understand this, Canon only understands "it's a picture" or "it's a document".

Though on the i9900 it doesn't really matter as it's all dye. It's a photo printer, it'll do text well enough though not as well as a lesser model.

The only reason I bring up the hp8750 is it's the only a3 to have the option between a large pigmented black tank and a photo grey tank that I am aware of. Passable for bar codes, good enough for address labels that tend not to disolve with a drop of rain, and you can swipe with a highlighter without too much smugging on plain paper. Now if you are willing to ditch a3 paper you have the canon ip4200/5200 or the ip7500 if you order from japan, as well as a number of HP models. While not offering object oriented printing you can at least say "this is plain paper" (use pigment black) or "This is not plain paper" (use dye black)."
Old May 3, 2006, 6:09 PM   #8

jdryyz wrote:
Quote:
This confuses me, as according to the specs on the i9900, it is supposed to handle "plain paper". This should mean there is adequate driver support for that media type. I would think high-quality inkjet paper fits into that category also.

I could go HP again if I am forced to, but my experiences with the low-end inkjets have been terrible. Must be due to the Fiorina regime. I hope the photo-printing class is doing better.
Simply put... the i9900 is dye only, as is the ip8500, and the ip6600. On plain paper dye does not work as well for something like barcodes, it's not going to be as resistant to water or rubbing, and the text is not as sharp as the lesser models which have a pigmented black tank.

This is the only reason to think about a model other than the ip8500 or the i9900. While i'm unsure as to your specific application, to me a general purpose printer means envelopes, labels, mixed text and graphics, and graphics. The driver isn't going to help if the ink isn't geared tward the application, and for text, plain text on plain paper, canon's cheaper printers are better. Per volume and per page the ink costs less, it's more water fast and light fast, and is more legible at smaller point sizes.

But if you don't plan to do envelopes, bar codes, nor do you plan to use a highlighter on your text, there is no reason what so ever not to go with either the ip8500 or the i9900. But if these things are important to you, and you have to have the a3 printer, the hp 8750 is really worth looking at. But if you are happy with a4, the ip4200/5200 is really a better general purpose printer than the ip6600D/ip8500/i9900.

Or... you could have two printers. One a3 photo printer and one office printer with the pigmented black text. Or heck, if it's still working well keep the hp950 in service for envelopes, lables, things where you want pigmented black ink.

Old May 3, 2006, 7:12 PM   #9

zakezuke,

First, allow me to thank you for the speedy responses. I appreciate the help.

I will try to better categorize the application I want to support-- it does not involve the printing of OS generated fonts on white backgrounds. For this, I have a laser printer. I am thinking more in terms of colorful backgrounds, bitmapped graphics, and not necessarily photo-quality images....much like you might see on greeting cards.

If a dye-only printer is not suitable for this, I will declare defeat. Maybe all I need to do is see a printed sample on non-photo paper. The i9900 is still on display in local stores. Its hard to say right now that pigmented black ink is not important. I do know that I want to highest quality photo printing capability while still supporting some general purpose printing. Hmm...maybe I just need to wait for the new model. If I read correctly, it will support pigmented black.

~~~~~~
Simply put... the i9900 is dye only, as is the ip8500, and the ip6600. On plain paper dye does not work as well for something like barcodes, it's not going to be as resistant to water or rubbing, and the text is not as sharp as the lesser models which have a pigmented black tank.

This is the only reason to think about a model other than the ip8500 or the i9900. While i'm unsure as to your specific application, to me a general purpose printer means envelopes, labels, mixed text and graphics, and graphics. The driver isn't going to help if the ink isn't geared tward the application, and for text, plain text on plain paper, canon's cheaper printers are better. Per volume and per page the ink costs less, it's more water fast and light fast, and is more legible at smaller point sizes.

But if you don't plan to do envelopes, bar codes, nor do you plan to use a highlighter on your text, there is no reason what so ever not to go with either the ip8500 or the i9900. But if these things are important to you, and you have to have the a3 printer, the hp 8750 is really worth looking at. But if you are happy with a4, the ip4200/5200 is really a better general purpose printer than the ip6600D/ip8500/i9900.

Or... you could have two printers. One a3 photo printer and one office printer with the pigmented black text. Or heck, if it's still working well keep the hp950 in service for envelopes, lables, things where you want pigmented black ink.

Old May 3, 2006, 8:27 PM   #10

jdryyz wrote:
Quote:
zakezuke,

First, allow me to thank you for the speedy responses. I appreciate the help.

I will try to better categorize the application I want to support-- it does not involve the printing of OS generated fonts on white backgrounds. For this, I have a laser printer. I am thinking more in terms of colorful backgrounds, bitmapped graphics, and not necessarily photo-quality images....much like you might see on greeting cards.

If a dye-only printer is not suitable for this, I will declare defeat. Maybe all I need to do is see a printed sample on non-photo paper. The i9900 is still on display in local stores. Its hard to say right now that pigmented black ink is not important. I do know that I want to highest quality photo printing capability while still supporting some general purpose printing. Hmm...maybe I just need to wait for the new model. If I read correctly, it will support pigmented black.

Oh you also have a laser, forget everything I just said. For envelopes, barcodes, the hard core black and white text stuff you can pump through the laser and be happy. The photo stuff, mixed graphics and text (greetings cards) you can pump through the i9900.

I presumed you wanted a general purpose printer... as in one pritner to do everything... as in one printer period. You got a laser, laser beats pigmented ink.

Quote:
Hmm...maybe I just need to wait for the new model. If I read correctly, it will support pigmented black.
Oddly enough the new hp8250, which is newer than the 8750, does NOT have a pigmented black. Waiting for the next canon come september means buying into a system that will cost more to operate due to the cartridges having chips. The ip8500/i9900 don't, and there is no reason to believe the new ip9000 pro is going to be any better than the the i9900. The pixma pro 9500 could be another story, but no idea what that will cost, it will take 10 inks with a larger drop size than the ip8500/i9900/pro 9000. Odds are it'll cost more money, and no one has any idea whether it would be compairable to an Epson 2200, r1800, r2400.