Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Nov 29, 2004, 4:32 PM   #1

Can anyone guide me as to which way to go here. Price is very close...so not an issue. Both look pretty nifty. Thanks for your input..........
golden hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 29, 2004, 5:40 PM   #2

If it is to be your only printer the iP4000 or 5000 is the better choice. They have a large tank of pigmented black for text and are fast general-purpose printers that also do very nice photos.

The iP6000 is a 6-color photo printer. It does decent text, but is slower at it and will eat you out of house and home for ink cost if you print a lot of text. IMO it is most appropriate for someone who also has a general-purpose printer for text.

I just hooked up my iP4000 and like it fine. I also have a wide format S9000 photo printer and the iP4000 does photos nearly as well. One advantage to me is that I refill and they both take the same ink except for the pigmented black for the iP4000 and the photo magenta and photo cyan for the S9000.

I read a couple of reviews that said the photos looked a little better on the iP4000 than the iP5000 – not sure I trust them on that. The iP4000 is also a little faster. The one thing the iP5000 seems superior at is plain paper graphics, but that isn't too important to me.

I really lust for an i9900, but until they make them so they do panoramas or someone comes up with a workaround I will stick with the S9000. Canon doesn't make panorama paper and evidently none of their printers will do panoramas at photo quality – 24 inches is max width even on the wide format printers. The S9000 can be jerry-rigged to do large photo panoramas if you dual boot to Win98. The iP8500 has the same great photo capability as the i9900. I think it overpriced for a narrow format printer though.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2004, 11:38 PM   #3

Thanks for the input. Since I have a laser jet for all of my B&W stuff , I'm really more interested in the photo quality. I've found the i960 (which I understand is being discontinued) for $90. I'm wondering if that's a better solution or does it make since to have an inkjet like the 4000 or 5000 that can do both text & photos?

Any thoughts????.........

Thanks...
golden hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2004, 1:48 AM   #4

slipe wrote:
Quote:

"I read a couple of reviews that said the photos looked a little better on the iP4000 than the iP5000 – not sure I trust them on that. The iP4000 is also a little faster. The one thing the iP5000 seems superior at is plain paper graphics, but that isn't too important to me."
Whoever said the IP4000 has better photos than the IP5000 must be smoking something. I have seen both. Nobody should think Canon came out with 1 picolitter drops using the same inks and look worse on photos huh? I wonder who those guys are.

- Raist

PS: Not putting down the IP4000 with my comments, which I think it's also a superb printer.

raist3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2004, 1:51 AM   #5

golden hawk wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the input. Since I have a laser jet for all of my B&W stuff , I'm really more interested in the photo quality. I've found the i960 (which I understand is being discontinued) for $90. I'm wondering if that's a better solution or does it make since to have an inkjet like the 4000 or 5000 that can do both text & photos?

Any thoughts????.........

Thanks...
The i960 will give you as good photos as the IP6000D pretty much. It's really up to you... personally I like the idea of using 3 colors + an usually less used photoblack, have the capability to print text on normal paper fine and not have to spend on 6 color inks- though they are at the end, for photos, still better.

The PhotoCyan and PhotoMagentas pretty much "evaporate" (are used roughly twice as much as the other inks).

- Raist
raist3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2004, 2:21 AM   #6

I have also seen the output from the 4000 and 5000 and I must say that I didn't like the 5000 prints. The colors were under-saturated and the whole pic looked very 2-D. The 4000 is much more vibrant and I really like it a lot. I am going to get a 6000D for Christmas and eventually will buy a laser printer, so I think that for pure photo quality, get the 6000D.

Mike
DrDictionary1 is offline   Reply With Quote