Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jan 11, 2005, 2:17 AM   #11

I'm looking at the Canon pixma range right now, and you can print directly on DVD/CDs.

Regarding the ink cartriges, Epson ones are more expensive but they are bigger too. Epson print head is on the printer whereas Canon is on the cartridge, so Epson has better quality, but costs more to maintain
clem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2005, 11:32 AM   #12

Clem, the problem with the Canon's is that you cannot print on CD/DVD in the United States. So, it's only a problem here in the U.S. Phillips holds the U.S. patent, and Canon didn't want to foot the bill. Now, Thom's HW Guide says the Pixma 8500 can print to DVD, but I don't know if that's a U.S. site so it may only be for non-U.S. printers.

As far as the print heads, both Epson and Canon heads are in the printer, but Canon's are user replaceable, whereas Epson's must be returned to the factory. Hewlett Packard is the only one of the big three that has the heads on the cartridge.

I was surprised to see that Epson beat the HP on the B&W photo test. Most other sites have given the nod to HP for that category, but Thom's indicated the HP had a Sepia cast. That's interesting, in that it's the only printer in the group that does not use color for shades of gray. I wonder if the test was not somehow flawed.

Cheers, Eric
erichlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2005, 4:05 PM   #13

I have heard that Canon had "better" performance than Epons'?

I have an R800 too, works great. I bought it at $399 USD few months ago, now the price keep dropping.

I dont know about Canon, but very pleased by R800.
RoseLoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2005, 4:31 PM   #14

It is great to see many people here talking about the pigment and dye ink.

Correct me if I am wrong, Epson was the first one who came up pigment ink - they call it DuraBrite. HP/Canon failed to do it.

The thing is, pigment ink is not suitable for "print head" and get clogged easliy, but is a great ink for photo archival.

Epson R800 utilizes Pigment ink same as Epson 2200. but they use different pigment ink. As far as I know, R800 does not have light cyan, ligh megenta, but blue and red instead. Also the characteristics of R800's pigment and 2200 are different. (I dont have 2200 with me, I cant comment on it)

Besides that, Epson is well-known of pricy ink cartridge. you may need to pay a couple thousands on purchasing its cartridges.(dont get me wrong, their ink is awesome!)

I printed out a batch of underwater A4 pics from our Nikon D70 on Epson Premium gloss paper, I love the quality the R800 put out.

I then went to do some researchabout Continuous Ink Supply System (CISS). It was hard to find out a real good one for R800, in fact, only few companies make for this model.Many people complained about the R800 CISS from China,HK and ebayactually cannot work. (the problem is, they have problem with their chipset and their sponge, even it is spongeless, they dont have any flow control, you would get the messy droplets during printing)

Now, I am using pretty good R800 CISS from http://www.InkRepublic.com which has pretty smart chipset and flow control. I have experienced ink saving from their system.

R800 is expensive now, and it is an 8 color printer (7 + 1), unless you are the expert, generally speaking, "normal" user may consider R200/R300 or RX500 instead of R800.

RoseLoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2005, 7:02 PM   #15

I am interested in your comments regarding the JLW cif system,you say that it cant work,I was contemplating the purchase of another R200 to use witha JLW pigment ink system,I am a bit worried now I have read your comments,does this apply to the pigment ink system only or to the 800? I have been running a JLW dye ink system on my R200 for nearly 10 weeks now and am delighted with its performance,

look forward to your comments.
fperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2005, 3:56 AM   #16

Besides that, Epson is well-known of pricy ink cartridge. you may need to pay a couple thousands on purchasing its cartridges.(dont get me wrong, their ink is awesome!)

I printed out a batch of underwater A4 pics from our Nikon D70 on Epson Premium gloss paper, I love the quality the R800 put out.

I'm also in the market for a CD/DVD printer and as far as I've been informed about the Epson R800, that in addition to the five colour cartridges, there is also a matt black ink, photo black ink and a gloss enhancer that you can switch on or off via the print driver (Print dialog box). Also no dot pattern even when viewed with a 10x loupe.

Just very curious on the cost of the cartridges ???
Woodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2005, 12:09 PM   #17

After excluding the Olympus P-440 dye-sub printer because of price alone, I am also left choosing between these two.

From what I've read, the Canon is cheaper to run, and also doesnt require shipping to a centre if the inkdries inthe heads (For which I have always avoided Epsons). It seems its harder to get accurate prints out of the Canon, and the R800 does use pigment ink whichappears to be superior in termso f longevity.

However, I use Canon SLR cameras in Adobe RGB mode, and according to thereview on this site,it can use this to match colours accurately...

"The included Easy-PhotoPrint and Digital Photo Professional software allow images photographed using Canon digital SLR cameras and saved in Adobe RGB mode to be printed on the PIXMA iP8500 photo printer with accurate color reproduction using the larger Adobe RGB color space."

Has anyone seen this in practice?

Alex53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2005, 4:39 PM   #18
-jb

erichlund wrote:
Quote:
I have the R800. Nice printer, but unless someone knows the secret, you can't hook it up to a print server.
Hook it up to a Hewlett Packard Jet-Direct box if you really want to share it from a server.

-jb
-jb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2005, 3:07 PM   #19

I own both the Epson r800 and recently purchased the Canon Pixma ip8500.

Short Review: I will never buy an Epson printer again. Ever.

I've owned in the last year 10 different very expensive Epson printers and was always an "Epson" guy.

Right off the bad the ip8500 will blow you away if you been using Epson. Why? Speed. For example if you use the Epson print driver on the "ultra fine, best quality settings" documents can take up to 40 minutes to print. (This isn't a joke) it goes along very slowly.

I took a 1200dpi 8x10 photo and set both printers to print on there very best settings The epson took 32 minutes. The Canon took 2 minutes, and producted better results. Also sending a 500mb document to the printer was about 45 seconds faster on the Canon.

My second step was to tear each printer apart. Which i did (i was scared!). Epson's are known for clogging and needing cleaning. If you ever seen the inside of an epson printer and how it handles excess ink you'll shake your head. $5 more of parts could have made this printer $50 better. I was really impressed with the innards of the Canon, it looks to be very good at draining away excess ink.

This printer is a speed demon. Printing at best quality and draft print nearly the same speed, something you'll never get from the epson. Not to mention the Epson's prints look different over time. It's almost like it's programmed to get fuzzier every print. The canon printed the same image everytime, it matches day 1 print. Epson didn't.

Another thing to consider is the software drivers and the canon has my vote. Much more "tweaking" features are available when selecting print.

I challenge anyone to buy or get there hands on both these printers, and print the same document on both. You'll take the Canon home.

I feel like I've finally seen the light.
inkhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2005, 7:58 PM   #20

...right.. too bad tom's hardware didn't pay attention about the canon color settings. If he was looking for proof accurate prints he could have turned the color properly, since the printer was optimized to match a certian chemical photo process outta the box. Tuning the magenta, the Canon BLOWS away the other two printers. no questions.
inkhead is offline   Reply With Quote