Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Oct 25, 2002, 11:29 AM   #1

Default B&W print Epson 2200 vs Canon S9000

Dear Steve,
Since you tested both printers, in Black & White prints, does the Canon S9000 still have a nod over the Epson 2200?
Thanks for your help.
Hi everyone,
Epsonn 2200 vs Canon S9000, in Black and White, which one gives better overall print quality (I mean closer to prints made with negatives).
Thanks
Zoomy Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 29, 2002, 2:16 AM   #2

Well I would go with the 2200 because it gives you the option of 3 different types of black to use. The canon will only give you one type to choose from.
Gregersonsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2002, 12:06 PM   #3

I thought Epson goes with only 2 different black?
I wondered on B&W final print, which one will give more details in dark area, more vivid picture, not muddy as usual with pigment.
I don't know if someone did print the same picture on both printers for a comparison.
Thanks
Old Nov 1, 2002, 2:28 PM   #4

Regarding the print head with Epson, if the head print is clogged, does that mean we have to ship the whole printer to Epson for repaired? Is there any other way? Thanks
Old Nov 2, 2002, 12:03 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomy Nguyen
Regarding the print head with Epson, if the head print is clogged, does that mean we have to ship the whole printer to Epson for repaired? Is there any other way? Thanks
Yes and no.

First of all printhead clogging on newer printers as long as you use it at least once a month is rare. I've had mine for 2 years with no clogs. You need to use these printers. Its like the ballpoint pen you leave sitting in your desk for a year sometimes you can get it going agian sometimes you cant.

If you by chance happen to get one of those permanent hard to kill clogs. Epson has the one year second day exchange warranty. They will pay shipping both ways and will also you send you the new one with new inks first and you just send them the old one in the box they sent you.

So yes you do ship back but they ship to you first. Usually arrives on your doorstep in less than 48 hours.
Old Nov 2, 2002, 12:08 AM   #6

Quote:
I thought Epson goes with only 2 different black?
I wondered on B&W final print, which one will give more details in dark area, more vivid picture, not muddy as usual with pigment.
I don't know if someone did print the same picture on both printers for a comparison.
Thanks
The epson 2200 doesn't just use pigment inks it uses a mix of pigment and dye inks. Yes there is 3 different black for it. It only comes with 7 though but there is photo black, light black and, matte black. I would think the epson to be of a wider shade gammut then the canon with the use of only black inks.
Old Nov 6, 2002, 1:37 PM   #7

I read Steve's review on the Epson 2200 that he recommended the Pantone calibration software. Do I need to buy the software to calibrate just my monitor or the software to calibrate both monitor and Epson 2200 printer? Is there any otherway to calibrate monitor and printer without spending to much money? Do we have to do the same thing with Canon S9000 printer?
Thanks
Old Nov 9, 2002, 12:39 AM   #8
Administrator

Default Re: B&W print Epson 2200 vs Canon S9000

Quote:
Dear Steve,
Since you tested both printers, in Black & White prints, does the Canon S9000 still have a nod over the Epson 2200?
Thanks for your help.
Hi everyone,
Epsonn 2200 vs Canon S9000, in Black and White, which one gives better overall print quality (I mean closer to prints made with negatives).
Thanks

The S9000 stinks at B&W, it's the only thing that it doesn't do well in fact. The Epson 2200 prints awesome B&W and has a choice of two different black inks so you can match the paper - gloss or matte. The problem with the S9000 (and S900) is that it uses color with the black and all my B&W prints have a noticeable green or blue tint to them.

If you want to print photos with the least amount of "fuss and adjust" then you really need to know that your monitor is properly calibrated. Most people make the mistake of visually calibrating their monitors so that things look the way they think it should. Problem is that there aren't too many people with calibrated eyes out there :roll:

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2002, 1:33 PM   #9

OK Steve,I will do with Pantone.
Is the pantone spyder Optical will work or do I have to buy the Pantone Photo Suite Pro to calibrate my monitor with the Epson 2200 printer? They said the latter to match monitor with printer.
Or does Epson has its own driver to match the print color with my monitor? I am confused with all these Pantone products.
Thanks
:?