Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Dec 3, 2004, 7:14 PM   #1

Hi,

i have just purchased the canon pixma ip4000. The pictures are great i am really impressed yet at the same time worried cause whenever there is a person face it comes our reddish??
I read somethign about the pixma ip8500, and i do not know if this is a similar problem.

I tried finding the selective colour adjustment yet was not able to find that function to adjust the red.

Can someone please help me, cause i am really worried that i bought this printer for nothign cause the red is really visible on the skin

Thanks for your help

ken481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 4, 2004, 12:15 AM   #2

Ken, what software are you using to print the photos?

I used adobe photoshop to print and the colors on the printer paper match the monitor colors. If you can send a sample photo, I can try with my printer.

Do you see vertical streaks on the prints?

My email is hithesh123@yahoo.com
hithesh123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2004, 7:19 AM   #3

Hi,

thanks for your reply so

1, I am not using adobe photoshop i am using canon easy print toolbox.
2, I tried using adobe photoshop, yet i do not know how to do borderless printing - do you know how.

Also i was reading some thigns about photoshop and it says that you need to calibrate monitor to printer, i have been trying to do that and i am realising that my monitor image is too bright, in fact when i calibrated it using adobe gamme the picture on monitor came out very red.

Did you do this calibrationg on photoshop, i am a bit missed up all this is new to me.

Also what profile are you using for printer and what setting. i USed the advisor and selected best photo quality
Old Dec 4, 2004, 6:05 PM   #4

If you used adobe gamma to calibrate your monitor, then the colors on the monitor are correct. If the photo looks too red, then you must do some processing in photoshop to reduce the red. No big deal.

One more thing you wanna look at after calibration is the color temperature of your monitor. Normally, it would be 6500k. Its set by one of the bottons on the monitor.

To print Borderless in Adobe photoshop, you have to crop the photo the desired size before you print. If you want 4x6, just use the crop tool and make it 4x6.

This is how I do it-

1. Open the photo

2. Do post processing if required

3. Crop it to 4x6(or desired print size using crop tool). This is how you do it -

a. open photo and select crop tool

b. Below the file, edit, view menu enter the desired width and height (say6 and 4)

c. on the photo drag the crop tool to the max, then just select the desired area to be printed

d. right click in the selected area and crop.

4. From file menu, select printwith preview.Make sure "show more options" is checked

5. Select "color management" below show more options

6. check "document" and select the "canon ip4000 sp4" under profile if you are usingCanon photo paper plus glossy. For Canon photo paper pro, I use canon ip4000 PR1. It takes 1-2 trial prints to get the profileright.

7. Under intent select "relative calorimetric"

8. Now just say print and do the usual selection with the printer properties. Selecting preview helps a lot. you can do it on the first page of the printer properties.

Forget easy print, use photoshop. You will have more control and better results. Let me know the results.

P.S- did you get any vertical streaks with your 4x6 prints.

hithesh123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2004, 5:49 PM   #5

Hi,

I realised that basically that yellow skin was actually part of the photograph and my monitro was not calibrated well. I am now going to try display mate to calibrate monitor and printer hopefully they match.

I do get streaks on my photos - straight line like they are beeing made by the spokes ok the wheel in the printer that moves the paper.

One other thing - do your ink indicators work well. I have been printing about 150 photos and they are all marking full ink - i think they are not working well???

Thanks for your help.

ps thanks for your help with photoshop i will try it.
Hopefully tomorrow i have time to calibrate monitor and tell you how it goes.
Old Dec 6, 2004, 6:41 PM   #6

I have no banding, even under magnification.

Photoshop will not print a borderless 8.5 X 11. It warns it will crop some and gives a small border. The Canon utility does it fine.

My ink indicators seem to work OK, but I haven't emptied a tank yet. You might want to pull one of the color cartridges to make sure they aren't almost empty. If they are call Canon support.

If they are nearly full I would suspect you don't have the right paper or quality setting. It isn't intuitive – you have to select both the size and paper type in PhotoPrint. It seems one would cancel the other since they look the same, but you have to select both or it goes with the default paper setting which doesn't use nearly enough ink if it is plain paper.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2004, 5:15 AM   #7

Hi thanks for your help

I chekced the ink thanks they are half full yet on the status monitor it is markin that the y are full?

About the line on the photograph - i think you misunderstood me. I was not speaking abuot banding that one used to get with old printer. i get very fine lines as if the papaer has s fine superficial cut and i suspect that these are made from the spikes that are present in the roller as the paper come out. You need to see them at a particular reflection of the paper - look at the photo from the side or at an angle.
Old Dec 12, 2004, 5:28 PM   #8

you are not alone..see the update here: http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/int...00/page_10.htm:?

see also on the photo-i forum! >>the "red issue" on all Canon
Canon pixma models

grtzz
Drake:!:
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2004, 11:51 PM   #9

I don't own the printer you have, but was thinking of getting one.

Have you tried a different brand of photo paper? I know that with my current Canon s820 printer, some brands of photo paper affect the picture color with a tint.

tc17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2004, 5:25 AM   #10

Hi,

I tried canon and kodak paper (ulitma paper). I got better results with the canon - the kodak paper i did not like the violet colour was too strong and the faces came out pale, yet i have contacted kodak about this and yesterday they emailed me some configuration i can use to get better results and i have not yet tested their paper with the configurations yet.

Hope this is of help. Overall i am very happy with printer