Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Dec 6, 2004, 12:04 AM   #1

I have recently purchased the Canon i9950 after many cheaper printers in which I happily used generic ink.

I am heavily into scrapbooking - and printing numerous large layouts.

The original Canon Cartridges printed out beautifully matching my monitor and the original almost perfectly.

I have yesterday replaced four of the colors with JET TEC generic cartridges but I am very unhappy with the results??

The printouts are way too blue noticeable even with a sideways glance.

Can anybody help me out here. I perhaps expecteda very subtle variation but nothing like this?

I have used default settings only so far.:?
yvonne74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 6, 2004, 12:45 AM   #2

Yeah, switch back to the genuine Canon ink!

Third party inks, despite what may be stated, are not geared for printing on good quality photo printers, let alone not being specifically matched to the paper types.
Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2004, 4:06 PM   #3

GET RID of the third party ink. Install ONLY Canon ink. Run a deep clean, and for your printers well being use ONLY Canon ink..Jim
jamey15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2004, 4:15 PM   #4

I have been using JetTec cartridges for some 4 years now in my old BJC8200 without any problems, so I don't think you can blame JetTec.

Is your monitor calibrated? Are you uing ICM in the print preferences?

I can view an image on screen, print it out, scan the print, compare the original and scanned images, measuring the RGB values of various pixels, and come up with a result that has less than 1% difference. So I am completely satisfied with the performance of JetTec!!
BernBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2004, 4:56 PM   #5

BernBennett, you are not mixing JetTec carts with OEM. They may be OK as a set. Do JetTec even have equivalents of the Canon Redand Green?
Paul_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2004, 8:47 PM   #6

I had the same problem with my i960. I tried replacing just the magenta that seemed to be messed up...then replaced all inkwells with generic...Things got worse. I replaced the whole mess with a set of Canon wells and even after several deep cleaning trys I had to have Canon phone-tech help me reset the configuation on the properties card. I never would have figured out the right combination without Tech help.

Now the i960 is printing great stuff again.
The Mayor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2004, 5:40 AM   #7

Hi Paul_d!

I do not mix JetTec with OEM Canon, and my BJC8200 only uses 6 tanks, and does not use the new red or green tanks, which at the present moment are not available from JetTec.

I'm sure it won't be long before JetTec( the largest European manufacturer of compats) introduces these new colours to their C22 series.

Another point with using JetTec; If I need a new printhead, I only need buy 3 sets of tanks from JetTec to save the cost of a new printhead!!

BernBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2004, 8:14 AM   #8

:homey:Hi

Wow. Using generic inks in a 9950. No way. I used to use generics in a HP 930 because the print head was built into the cartridge. If you use generics in the Canon and damage the head it`s very expensive to change (over £100 I think). I have had my 9950 since April before they were on general sale and it` superb but I have only used genuine Canon inks.

You can get these at very reasonable prices from www.7dayshop.com or www.pricestorm.com both of whom are very quck to send and reliable.

Stick to genuine.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2006, 2:33 PM   #9

hi, I've just bought a 9950 and I've been having the same mindbender over this oem vs generic inks thing. I've been using an old epson 890 with 7dayshop compatible cartridges for ages (99p vs twenty quid = a no brainer) Other than a very slight constant colour cast I've never had any issues whatsoever with this 890 + cheap ink set up (although I always use decent epson premium glossy paper). The 9950 is another issue though. Atthe moment I've got six 7dayshop compatible cartridges with jessops red and green ones. I can't get any red out of th ejessops cartridge at all - lots of deep cleaning, etc, etc - nothing - absolutely useless.The worst thing though is the banding - although its very faint its still there. I'm seriously considering ebaying the 9950 and taking a "backwards step" to an epson 1290. Although print quality is not the same I value the ability to be able to afford food and clothes above satisfying photo competition judges who like to look at A3 prints with a magnifying glass.
mrr1 is offline   Reply With Quote