Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Dec 7, 2004, 1:15 PM   #1

I am getting an IP5000, and I know my friend will want his photos printed. However,he prefers 5x7 to 4x6. First, is this a simple thing with the printer, and second, what paper is best. I did not see a Canon paper for 5x7, though I may have missed it.

Thanks, Glenn
gfausel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 7, 2004, 1:23 PM   #2

I print a lot in 5 X 7. I just print two on a 8.5 X 11. I have a bright light under the edge of my paper trimmer so I can cut it right. I find it is cheaper that way. It is also easier to just keep one kind of paper in the lower tray.

I put them in the corners so there are only two sides to trim, but the edges aren't quite as sharp as putting them in the middle. There isn't usually anything important on the edges anyway.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2004, 3:19 PM   #3

I would expect a5x7 print sizeto be availablein the driver. It's definitely available in my i560 and i860. Itjust depends on which driver (geographically speaking)is installed that determines what it is called. The US driver identifies it as "5x7," however, a Japanese driver will identify5x7 as "2L." (for what it's worth: "L" is3.5x5) I have no experience with drivers from other locations.

I've printed quite a few 5x7s over the past year or so and I've found that even when I can find 5x7 paper it's less expensive to buy A4 or Letter and cut it down to size before I print. Just make sure to get two 5x7s out of your full sheet. Cutting before or after printing, as described by slipe, is just a personal preference.
DaiButsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2004, 2:37 PM   #4

You can also use an exacto knife with a ruler, cut slowly with even pressure, it may take two or three scores before a cut but the paper will look professionally cut, clean & straight. Don't even try with scissors!
Jobbie is offline   Reply With Quote