Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Mar 25, 2005, 9:03 PM   #11

slipe wrote:
Quote:
If you are going to have only one printer and will have to print school papers on it the iP4000 is the much better choice. It does excellent photos but I don't agree that the photos aren't a little better on the 6000. Resolution is about the same, but the photo magenta and cyan give smoother color transitions. But the difference is really small for photos. Best quality text on the iP4000 is very good not as fast as a laser.

So if I were to be using this printer only for photos, you would recommend me getting the ip6000? Been having trouble choosing between the ip4000 and ip6000 (or even the ip5000 for that matter) as well, but I have a laser printer for text and have a cheap inkjet for the occasional color stuff I need.

And out of curiosity, how much of a quality difference does the ip6000 have compared to the ip8500? Very doubtful I will go that route to get that high end of a printer (or will use it to the fullest of its abilities), but wondering if I am going to be using this thing for just photos if I should go that to the ip8500 or not.
cgwahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2005, 12:46 AM   #12

Quote:
So if I were to be using this printer only for photos, you would recommend me getting the ip6000? Been having trouble choosing between the ip4000 and ip6000 (or even the ip5000 for that matter) as well, but I have a laser printer for text and have a cheap inkjet for the occasional color stuff I need.

And out of curiosity, how much of a quality difference does the ip6000 have compared to the ip8500? Very doubtful I will go that route to get that high end of a printer (or will use it to the fullest of its abilities), but wondering if I am going to be using this thing for just photos if I should go that to the ip8500 or not.
If you have a laser printer for text you might as well go to a pure photo printer. The 8500 is a little better. It is also pricey for a narrow carriage printer. I posted a bulletin board full of pictures from some events at my boat club and everyone was asking what printer I used so they could get one. That is after they thought they were from a photofinisher. They were from my iP4000. The photos from the iP6000 would be better than mine were. Not sure where the point of diminishing returns is.

I also have a wide format S9000, which is a photo printer only. I don't really see that big a difference in photos printed on the little iP4000, which is two generations newer in technology. I personally think you would be pleased with photos from the iP6000 and that the slight improvement of the iP8500 might not be worth nearly double the price.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2005, 2:36 AM   #13

Ok, I'm back for this one. You don't need the text, so forget about the iP4000 and the iP5000. Now, the question is, do you need anything better than the iP6000D. Unless you need a wide carriage printer, the answer is no. The colors on the iP4000 are a bit dull. The quality on the iP5000 is lacking in photos, but great for images like graphics. The 6000D has incredibly good quality, and I really don't think you could see a real significant difference in quality between it and any other printer. It is more about calibrating your colors with software than the number of colors, so I'd say, iP6000D. That is what I went with, and I couldn't be happier.

Mike
DrDictionary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2005, 4:15 PM   #14

Cool. Guess I'll be getting the ip6000...now to just watch for a good deal on one.

Thanks slipe and Dr.
cgwahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2005, 1:33 AM   #15

DrDictionary1 wrote:
Quote:
The colors on the iP4000 are a bit dull. The quality on the iP5000 is lacking in photos, but great for images like graphics.
That sounds like the PCMag review. I'm not sure how the 5000 could be better at graphics but worse on photos than the 4000.
The Photo-i site reviewed the 5000 and concluded:
"Last year I reviewed the Canon i865 and fell in love with it. The PIXMA iP5000 replaces the i865 and I have fallen in love again. The answer has to be YES, I would buy this printer, it is exceptional value for money. You will be hard pushed to see a difference between this four ink printer and a six ink printer."
Paul_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2005, 5:50 AM   #16

I wuld have to vouch for my ip5000 too, i love it and the quality for text, photos n graphics r great. About colour n quality, u can always tweak them in photoshop or similar softwares n even using the printer driver. Well, nothing is perfect and if you wanna achieve perfection, u have gotta do sum tweaking......tat's life unfortunately.

Photo-i has got a review of the ip5000 n personally, i think it's great. Quality wise, all the new printers r more or less on par i.e they r all able to print photo quality prints. But for canon, it's the ink cost, duplex, built-in cassette and pigment black for graphics n text that bagged it for me.

And i am wary of getting any 6/8 colour printers which MIGHT only giv me a slight increase in image quality but a considerable increase in ink budget.

wernehawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2005, 4:46 PM   #17

I'm not saying that the iP5000 is a bad printer; it is far better than most printers available on the market. What I am saying is that when I looked at print samples from the iP4000, iP5000, and iP6000D, the iP4000's colors were not as accurate as the iP6000D's. Also, it seemed to me that the iP5000 was displaying too much detail. I could actually see more imperfections in the print because of the small dot size. I was considering all three of these printers for myself, and since I didn't need the text printing of the iP4000 and iP5000, I chose the superior photo quality. Especially on neutral tones like beige, I could see a far superior hue from the iP6000D.
DrDictionary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2005, 8:13 PM   #18

I recently had by laser died (it was an old Lexmark Optra) and the cost to get it picking up paper correctly was more than the cost a 5000 and a years supply of 3bk cartriges. I was plesently surprized at the duplex system. I was unable to detect teh dots with a magnifying glass. Because if uses 1pl drops it does no need the dilute PC PM inks. Apparently if you don't select the correct paper type the IP5000 emulates 2pl which means it acts like a IP4000, but more slowely. That appears to be what happended with the PC mag. review.

I was able to get a good deal on the IP5000 at Office Depot, otherwise I would have gotten the IP4000.

Bill Mussatto
wmussatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2005, 8:14 PM   #19

Sorry for duplicate post. I got a SQL error, so I didn't think it made it through. Bill
wmussatto is offline   Reply With Quote