Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Dec 12, 2004, 11:22 PM   #1

So here is my dilemma. I want to buy a printer. Long story short, I havea way to get a Canon Pixma iP4000 or iP6000D for half price, so obviously I really want to buy one of those. I know that the results are magnificent for both, but I can't help but wonder if I will need the better text printing of the iP4000, since I am going to college this coming summer. I will be living in a dorm, so it wouldn't be too smart to buy a laser printer for text, as I will run out of room. I have noticed that the iP4000's photo's colors look almost exactly the same as the iP6000D's colors, but I like the card slot. Basically, I am just asking for opinions on which I should buy. I would rather have a laser for text, but I guess I shouldn't do that...

I think too much.:sad:

Thanks for the help.

Mike
DrDictionary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 16, 2004, 10:17 PM   #2

Go with the IP4000. Why? As a poor college student myself (I own the i860 which is the older equivalent of the IP4000), I love that BCI-3bk text cartridge to death. If I had a laser printer, I can't afford buying a large $70 cartridge each time I run out of toner. Yes, I do realize a laser printer has lower costs per page which comes out to be cheaper to maintain in the long run but it doesn't kill you to buy a $15 genuine cartridge that lasts about 600 pages (mine lasted about that much). Like you said, the IP4000 is smaller than many laser printers too but it's not THAT much smaller.

If you're into purchasing generic cartridges, it's quite easy to buy $2 black BCI-3bk cartridges but you run into the risk of having clogged printheads. It's a gamble you may have to take...
Comp625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2004, 9:40 AM   #3

If he does take the risk of blocked printheads, how can you clean them? I ask this because I have a Epson Stylus Photo 1200 with blocked printheads [beacause of cheap cartridges]. ALthough some cheap cartridges are better than others and I suggest that if you do find ones that work well with your printer that you stick to them, and don't do what I did and try even cheaper ones.:!:
BeanieCheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2004, 10:00 AM   #4

If you are going to have only one printer and will have to print school papers on it the iP4000 is the much better choice. It does excellent photos but I don't agree that the photos aren't a little better on the 6000. Resolution is about the same, but the photo magenta and cyan give smoother color transitions. But the difference is really small for photos. Best quality text on the iP4000 is very good not as fast as a laser.

The black cartridge on the iP6000 is a photo black and not dark enough for good text. The printer probably mixes colors to get a good black text. You ink costs would be excessive.

Immediately after ordering my iP4000 I ordered a pint of pigmented black ink from MIS. I have used their inks for years and they are top quality. The other tanks take the same ink as my S9000 so I already had ink for the color cartridges.

Quote:
If he does take the risk of blocked printheads, how can you clean them? I ask this because I have a Epson Stylus Photo 1200 with blocked printheads [beacause of cheap cartridges].
If he gets the heads clogged so badly that a cleaning cycle doesn't clear them he can remove the head and soak it in ammonia for a while. Hot water works too. There isn't much you can do with an Epson as the heads are welded in.

If I don't print in color for a week I run a nozzle check. It prints all the colors very small and doesn't use much ink. I rarely go a week without printing black text, but the nozzle check prints black as well. I've refilled my S9000 and HP printers for years with no problems. I had to soak the heads once with the Canon, but that was because I left it a couple months without printing – Canon ink would likely have clogged as well. The important thing is to use quality ink made for the printer.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2004, 12:35 AM   #5

Wow, thanks for all the advice. I still don't know which printer I want, because today I saw a huge difference in color on a beige-colored building. The 4000 was very bland and lifeless seeming, but the 6000D jumped off the page and looked great. I will probably buy the 6000D, and thenI don't know what. After all, I still have like 9 months untilI have to go tocollege. Also, I work ata Best Buy and I am friends with the Canon rep there, so I will probably get free ink.Anyways, thanks for the help, I guess I really just have to think (:P)about it for awhile...

Mike
Old Dec 21, 2004, 4:10 PM   #6

How many prints are you gettin from your IP4000? I have an HP722C and I get about 100 pages before I need to replace the cartridge.
irdit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2004, 4:53 PM   #7

DrDictionary1, don't place too much reliance on individual test printers. You could just as easily find another store with an iP4000 that looks better than their iP6000D. Default settings should be a good starting point but you may have to alter them.
Paul_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2004, 10:33 PM   #8

Yeah, I know, but I really want the pictures to come out nice without any adjustments, and for what it's worth to others, the 6000D does a very good job reading straight from a memory card or from Pictbridge.

Mike
Old Dec 30, 2004, 8:28 PM   #9

I am also trying to decide between the 4000 & 6000, except my question relates to the IP 6000's Network Ready capability. My house is "wired" and I am currently using a parallel print server. Both the 4 & 6000 have USB connectivity, so it looks like I'll have to purchase a USB print server. And here is the question. If the 6000 can be hooked directly into the network cable (internal print server??), then I'll go with that one. If I need to purchase the USB print server, I'll go with the 4000.

Does anyone know for sure what the term "network ready" means?? Really appreciate your help!!

And thanks to DrDictionary for bringing up all the other considerations...

Jim
Jim E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2004, 2:32 AM   #10

Actually, the 4000 has a parallel portAND a USB port. So, you don't even need to buy a new print server. Neither of the printers have internal print servers, however, so you would need to use yours.