Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Dec 13, 2004, 11:10 PM   #1

Hey guys, I'm looking for a new printer. In the 200$CND (150$USD)price range.

I want something that prints photos as well as regular texts. I've got a Canon A70 digicam btw.

The Canon i960 and the i860 both look nice. I was leaning towards the i960. Are there any others I should have a look at?
rai_dei is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 14, 2004, 3:20 AM   #2
Baz

Hi Rai.. Go for the Canons.. The models you list will be fine. Although mine is the Canon i850, the photo printing is fantastic. Especially with the included Easy PhotoPrint software that comes with the Canons.
Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2004, 9:10 AM   #3

My Canon iP4000 was $122 and free shipping, so it is in your price range. I think it probably has the best photo quality for a general purpose printer with a large pigmented black tank. Canon's are the most frugal with ink since they reformulated the inks with stronger dyes. And they are generally the fastest. You might want to read through Steve's review – the printer has a lot of neat features: http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_...on_ip4000.html

Steve says it is fast and does good text. He fails to mention it can't do both at the same time. Draft and even standard on plain paper are dark gray rather than black. Another user pointed out you can set it for high resolution paper and it prints black in standard, but you lose duplexing capability. You get about the same quality by using high quality plain paper and still have duplexing. But both approaches are slower than my old HP930, which printed nice black text in draft mode. Photos are great and come out really fast compared to other printers.

Do not buy a printer without a large tank of pigmented black ink. Your text costs become high with a pure photo printer and the text isn't that great.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2004, 9:46 AM   #4
Administrator

I agree with slipe.

Afterdoing my homework (cost per page,text quality, photo quality, speed of printing both text and photos, etc.), I also got one of these printers (Canon Pixma iP4000) to replace a broken HP Photosmart 1215.

I wanted a printer that would feed somemailers my wife prints thatare non-standard size card stock.These used to jam and skewoften with my HP Photosmart 1215 (front feed only). The rear feed of the Canon worksmuch betterwith them (I've yet to have a jam or skewwith her mailers). It alsohas dual paper feeds (so you can keep two different paper types in it at the same time).

This printerdoesn't have some of the "bells, whistles and buzzers" of my older HP (card readers, auto paper type sensor, etc.), but the other things like print quality, speed andcost per page were more important to me.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2004, 10:27 AM   #5

cool, thanks for the suggestion

What exactly is duplexing? And, which is better for photo printing, i960 or ip4000, since they cost about the same, is there a quality difference?
Old Dec 14, 2004, 10:47 AM   #6

The i960 will print better photos. The resolution isn't better but the color gradation is a little better with the added photo cyan and magenta. It is a 6 color photo printer with no pigmented black ink. It will eat you out of house and home for replacement ink if you print a lot of black text and it doesn't do a great job on the text.

You said you wanted to print text and I suggested you didn't want a pure photo printer. Maybe you should read Steve's reviews of the specific printers – his printer reviews are very good. http://www.steves-digicams.com/printers.html

Duplexing is the ability to print on both sides.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2004, 12:57 PM   #7

Have you considered the EPSON R200,fantastic print quality,low price,under $us100 and prints CDs and DVDs
fperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2004, 1:29 PM   #8

rai_dei wrote:
Quote:
Hey guys, I'm looking for a new printer. In the 200$CND (150$USD)*price range.

I want something that prints photos as well as regular texts. I've got a Canon A70 digicam btw.

The Canon i960 and the i860 both look nice.* I was leaning towards the i960. Are there any others I should have a look at?
hi,

the Canon Pixma's ip4000 or ip5000 are top and the cheapest in inkt-consumption,are very fast and nice textprinter to!
A4 colorprint without paper 30/40 Eurocent

succes
Drake:bye:
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2004, 6:05 PM   #9

slipe wrote:
Quote:
The i960 will print better photos. The resolution isn't better but the color gradation is a little better with the added photo cyan and magenta. It is a 6 color photo printer with no pigmented black ink. It will eat you out of house and home for replacement ink if you print a lot of black text and it doesn't do a great job on the text.

You said you wanted to print text and I suggested you didn't want a pure photo printer. Maybe you should read Steve's reviews of the specific printers – his printer reviews are very good. http://www.steves-digicams.com/printers.html

Duplexing is the ability to print on both sides.

Thanks for the explanations. I'm probably getting the iP4000 after all, definetly gonna be cheaper on the black ink, and the duplexing feature is pretty neat
Old Dec 15, 2004, 7:16 AM   #10

I have a Canon i960, and am extremely happy with the decision to buy. I purchased it for $169 then there is two rebates one for $20.00 and another for $50.00 bringing my cost down to 89.99. I got it from Tiger Direct.
joelw135 is offline   Reply With Quote