Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Oct 29, 2002, 4:06 PM   #1

Default about to purchase

the canon s900 (the 9000's unfortuantely too expensive).... however, i was a little worried that the text quality wouldn't be very nice b/c i read a few reviews on cnet and on eopinions. do you guys think it prints text ok? i'm a college student, so of course i'm going to be turning in papers.
blackandwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 29, 2002, 4:26 PM   #2

oh and i also read the colors fade/turn a yellow evern reddish color. is this true???
Old Oct 29, 2002, 4:49 PM   #3

Black and White

Can you go to a local store, Best Buy, Circuit City, etc., and see a demo print. I have the HP 5550 which can do 6 color photo printing or can produce standard text documents. The quality of the text and photo docs are outstanding.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2002, 2:58 AM   #4

The Canon S900 is capable of producing very good quality text but it is slower than a general purpose printer.

The colour change that you are referring to is normally called gas fading or sometimes orange shift. Blacks start to turn brown, sometimes in as little as 3 weeks. It results from exposure to the air and seems to be a particular problem in humid atmospheres or in the prescence of ozone. It is a real problem for some people, other never experience it. The effect is minimal for prints kept behind glass or in an album. It can be minimised by the choice of paper - matte papers seem to be more resistant than gloss, and the Ilford Galerie Classic series papers appear to be particularly resistant.

Prints from all photo printers which use dye based inks are subject to gas fading. The only photo printer which does not use dye based inks is the Epson 2200 - it uses pigment inks. The general purpose Epson C82 also uses pigment inks. Pigment inks, however, do not work well on glossy paper.

Chris
Chris R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2002, 6:52 AM   #5

I have an HP5550 and HP 970 and neither printer has the orange shift referred to by ChrisR.
Old Oct 30, 2002, 7:50 AM   #6

As I said, some people never experience gas fading, for others it is a major problem.

On my old Epson Photo 700 I never noticed any fading, but I didn't have many prints exposed and I only used matte paper. I now have a Canon S820 and, because of comments in other forums, I carried out some gas fading tests of my own. One paper, Ilford Galerie Smooth, changed colour in under 3 weeks in a bathroom and in about 5-6 weeks elsewhere. I have now stopped using this paper and am using Ilford Galerie Classic instead which has very good gas fading resistance.

This site has a pretty good discussion of gas fading (orange shift):
http://members.cox.net/rmeyer9/epson/

Chris R
Old Oct 30, 2002, 9:08 AM   #7

Chris

Great info. I have always used the Kodak paper and HP printers. This must be a good combintation for HP printers. I have read that the Canon printers work better with Canon photo paper. Any ideas about Canon photo paper?
Old Oct 30, 2002, 9:44 AM   #8

I tried the Canon papers when I first got the printer but they are expensive, there is a very limited range and there is no good matte paper. People have also had fading problems with the most expensive paper, Photo Paper Pro. I therefore use Ilford Galerie Classic and Epson Heavyweight Matte, both of which have very good fade resistance and give perfectly adequate quality for me.

The general opinion with papers for Canon printers is HP papers work very badly, Kodak are variable but Epson mostly work very well. However, Canon Photo Paper Pro seems to give the best print quality.

Chris R
Old Oct 30, 2002, 11:22 AM   #9

k, thanks. i went ahead and bought the printer. it seems to print text fine for me (anything's better than the lexmark that came free w/ my computer) and it prints pics beautifully. so far i'm very impressed.

so i guess i'll have to find some of that paper you're taking about b/c i definitely don't want my images to fade.