Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jan 20, 2005, 8:29 PM   #11

after about 1 1/2 years , i have to agree that the epson c82 is prone to clogging of the inkjet head, and no matter how much service at the local epson center, it never works correctly.

we were looking at one of the epson multifunction scanner printers, but almost all the reviews on amazon said much the same--they work for a while and then the head cloggs, and nothing will open it up completely.

i suspect this is true of all the epson printers. we are now thinking of swallowing the cost and finding some other printer--that works.

also, the cost of a new print head is far greater than the cost of the printer, as i found out when my old 750 gave up the ghost.

my personal advice- dump the printer
eglazier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2005, 8:34 PM   #12

oops sorry folks - my fault cleared the text by mistake
davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2005, 8:38 PM   #13

Tee hee hee - told you so, will never get bitten again with Epson, must be that gold dust they put in their inks eh?
Old Jan 20, 2005, 9:02 PM   #14

Printing regularly isn't the same as printing with all of the colors regularly. You need a small graphic that uses all of the colors or to just print the test page. With Canons the nozzle check works well as it has a small patch of each color that doesn't use much ink. Canons will clog if you don't use a color for a while.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2005, 7:19 AM   #15

I draw five squares or circles in MS word and fill them with colour two overlapping the three above (like the Olympic Hoops). Also if ya draw very much larger ones you could use these for 'mild cleaning the ink nozzles' thus saving a lot of ink, you may have to waste a couple of sheets of paper though.

Information below came from Epson Technical:
Remember with Epsons you have to do a print & clean - not just a clean according Mssrs Epson for it is part of the cycle, Technical also told me never, and stressed 'never' to give it more than six continuous cleans as this may cause head damage and also wait a minute or so between each clean!

Part of letter received from Epson.
I quote-: 'The ink cartridges are chipped because Epson printers contain a piezo print head. If the print head runs dry, i.e if the cartridge runs out of ink, air bubbles will enter the print head and permanently damage it'. UNQUOTE.

To me this say's FOR ANY REASON air bubbles enter the head, they become 'knackered'. Will a thermal jet not cause the air to expand and burst the bubble?

Also in the letter they claim their inks is competitive to other brands.

Old Jan 29, 2005, 7:33 PM   #16

Quote:
Also in the letter they claim their inks is competitive to other brands.

They would wouldn't they :-)Its a shame they have to charge 4-10 times as much for them

And just to add, I had an Epson 460, used just Epson inks and had terrible clogging problems with it after a few months. My parents brought an Epson 830 a year ortwo back, hardly use it (they don't really know how to :lol, have used both Epson and 3rd party inks and had NO problems with clogging. I've now got an R200 (:?), and its a nice printer; time well tell if it clogs or not, but from what I've read it seems to be much less of a problem on newer Epsons than it was.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote