Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Dec 18, 2004, 2:21 PM   #1

I am pretty disgusted with the clogging problem on my Epson C-82. But when it worked, it was pretty good. I did just buy a Canon ip4000. Is the Epson worth repairing as far as the price of the new part? The ink is now gone, so I would not want to put more than $15 into it plus ink. I would not buy a new Epson because of this, but if the repair is simple, I would do it. I did already try the alcohol on the cleaning pads, on the nozzle, etc. It did not work for me. Should I just toss it?
dbarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 25, 2004, 9:29 AM   #2

Before you toss it try this. http://www.weink.com/ecom/support/technotes/tsg02.htm
joelw135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2004, 12:02 PM   #3

Epson's are damn good printers. The thing you need to know is that an Epson inkjet printer needs to be used on a regular basis. If you let your Epson sit unused for very long (2 weeks or longer) you could have clogging problems. On many HP and Lexmark printers, the printhead is built into the ink cartridges. That means when you change the cartridge that you're also installing a new printhead. That is why you can't find $5 generic cartridges for HP & Lexmark printers. If you buy generic cartridges for an Epson, do not buy the cheap (made in China) cartridges, they will cause you headaches. Go to: http://www.tylermartin.com/ for the best aftermarket cartidges, and buy the USA brand. These are at least as good as Epson's (made in Mexico) cartridges, and they are made in the USA.
JKAyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2005, 12:21 PM   #4

Re head clogging Epson.
sorry gotta dissagree as I had to keep cleaning mine and used GENUINE EPSON INK I am a C62 owner (read my experience 'woe of Epson C62'), I used mine pretty regularly, never a day went by without printing mainly text and graphics the odd photo piccy every three or four days or so - never let it standing for more than three to four days on a trot and I ended up with problems and the same problems again on a exchanged unit.
My 62 is about to get 'clodded'

Davy
davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2005, 12:36 AM   #5

I would toss away a new working Epson printer, never mind a knackered one. I have a Canon IP4000 now, but I've had 3 Epson's before this and I remember the good old days of clogged print heads everytime I wanna print something and mega expensive cartridges. :angry:
pbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2005, 5:25 AM   #6

To davy and pbar, it appears you are fast becoming the North Westsno. 1tag team devoted to bashing the team of Seiko andEpson :-). I'm sorry you have both had unsatisfactory experiences with their printers and I accept you have valid negative points to make on them. People ask, and people answer. Future users of these machines need to hear the pros and consofeverything to help them make a decision. For that I applaud you.........But would like to put my views across.

I have used an Epson C84 for around 14 months and like dbarger with his C82, I too had the occassional clogging problems, frustrating and expensive when you are effectively printing nothing, to be able to print something. But since August 2004 I have been using an R300. What can I say ? Not one clogging problem, fantastic prints everytime and very,very happy with it.I usually print one session per week on about 12 to 25 6x4 prints. Yes the light cyan and light magenta run out quicker than the rest, but that seems to be a similar pattern with other makes as well. Overall I am more than satisfied, just so potential users can see both sides.

Regards,

Stevekin.
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2005, 7:53 AM   #7

Stevekin Hi.
Only stating MY experience, why, oh why when using Epson inks should I have the same fault with an exchanged model - entirely from a different source..... Certainly should not be the case, hence my comments and writes ups and indeed dissapointment, it is obvious that I am not alone in not wanting any more Epson products.

I have read reviews on the R300 a printer that I have never owned nor will ever want to own, espcially after my experience, hoping that you will not have the trouble that I have experienced (Woe of Epson - C62 write up in these pages).

If I had no problems then I would have no cause for comment, but 2 identical faults with 2 identical printers is NOT going to pass me by without comment.

David
Old Jan 20, 2005, 10:01 AM   #8

Hello David, It's difficult to convey tone of voice with a keyboard so please don't take what I said as an attack of your opinion of Epson printers. Like I said, I had, still have a similar problem with my C84, pretty much the same as a C62, I just wanted to point out my good fortune with the R300 to other readers who may be considering an Epson. You have every right to your say, in fact if you or anyone else that had problems with an Epson or whatever machine, didn't voice their opinions that would be letting down potential new owners. Likewise if I didn't tell them my happy experience I would be doing the same. Yes, Epson are renowned for it's clogging, ink usage and lack of blistering speed, but again other manufacturers have their problems too. Bit of bad luck to have two identical models play silly beggars and , unfortunately for Epson, another lost customer. All we can do is tell it how it is and let others make a more informed decision.

Stevekin.
Old Jan 20, 2005, 12:14 PM   #9

Hi Stevekin,
No problems at all, but is annoying if two printers has exactly the same fault and even more annoying when you can't get help from the Manufacturers

Yeah I agree head cleaning once in a while just has gotta be done - no disputes here, I fully accept that BUT when it has to be done more and more frequently and start to get the after effects with 2 printers (see my comments for the effects on Woe of an Epson - C62) ya gotta say there is something drastically wrong. If you see the write up you will see why I am not very pleased, its not just a matter of cleaning the heads and trying new tanks - using genuine Epson inks to avoid upsetting Mssrs Epson if I should need to take it to the local Epson agents the 2nd time (which has stopped repairing Epson's - to me speaks volumes) I can not take it to their agents with out their say so.

I'm totally in agreement with pbar and mine is about to get 'clodded' and if Epson wants my custom they had better do something rather, rather quickly - can u honestly see that? Lke I say the second time around they just don't wanna know.

Cheers
Dave
Old Jan 20, 2005, 3:22 PM   #10

To Dave,

As we've just about flogged this one to death, let's just let other users take in the pros & cons and hopefully make the right decision for them. Good luck with your new Canon/HP/Lexmark/Brother/Olympus/Samsung/Sony/Kyocera or whatever you decide on.

To dbarger, big sorry for hijacking your post. Hope you get the right outcome.

Be happy,

Stevekin.