Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Dec 19, 2004, 3:15 AM   #1

My i860 is seven months old. I've beenhappy with it until now. The printer is outputting all CMY and the dye K at once no matter what color it's supposed to be printing -- everything comes out as a monochrome brown. The nozzle check shows each nozzle printing properly on the right-hand side, but the bars on the left (that surround the "6C, 6M, 6Y, 6K") are brown with very slight differences in hue -- the 6K is noticeably darker for instance. I have downloaded and installed the latest driver and uninstalled/reinstalled the printer. Any answers out there?
CCBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 21, 2004, 4:24 AM   #2

strange! Are the cartridges empty. Remove the cartridges and check if ink has spilled.

Other than this, I cant think of anything except call canon and have the printer replaced since its still under warranty.
hithesh123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2004, 1:19 PM   #3

I'm having a similar problem with my 2-yr old I950. In NON-greyscale (i.e. greyscale printing preferences box NOT checked), it's fine.

However, greyscale seems to always be yellow/green. In fact, my yellow cartridge ran out and I haven't printed anything except for b/w for the last few months.

It seems to depend on whether I have draft vs. custom for fast-print b/w text. Auto vs. manual color also seems to change things.

What's strange about my problem is like every 10th row of text WILL print pure b/w. It can't be the driver since it wouldn't be consistent. IOW, printing the same page over and over shows the SAME b/w every 10th row pattern.

I've opened a problem with Canon but they're running me thru nozzle check, head alignment, etc. which all come out PERFECT.

JL
JimLewandowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2004, 1:34 PM   #4

I checked for spillage and to see if the pads under the carts showed only the proper color and not some mixture -- nothing.

Old Dec 21, 2004, 1:35 PM   #5

I find the greyscale problem very interesting -- essentially my printer is putting out greyscale but using all colors except pigment black to do it. Canon has me checking cartridges, cleaning, etc. as well.
Old Dec 22, 2004, 12:11 PM   #6

CCBC wrote:
Quote:
I find the greyscale problem very interesting -- essentially my printer is putting out greyscale but using all colors except pigment black to do it. Canon has me checking cartridges, cleaning, etc. as well.
I was ALSO told by Canonthat greyscale will use all colors EXCEPT black. That's sounds crazy. The reason for greyscale, I thought, was so that you would only have to replace black cartridges.

Interesting in that my yellow cart. was completely empty and when I printed greyscale (b/w MSWord document) it came out blue-tinged. Maybe they are right about using all colors for greyscale.

JL

JimLewandowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2004, 12:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Maybe they are right about using all colors for greyscale.
I don't know. It's been a while since I purposely printed in greyscale but, IIRC,I did so in order to conserve color ink. Anyway, what I have now looks more like brownscale.

Old Dec 24, 2004, 12:28 PM   #8

Okay, I have the answer -- from Canon! They suggested I check and see if a photo ink cart had sneaked into the printer. Lo and behold, a photo cyan cart (BCI-6PC instead of BC!-6C) had been installed. Changing it cleared up the problem. I don't understand why this works (photo ink must be a very different density but why it printed the way it did is a mystery to me). Thanks, everyone, who tried to help.