Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Dec 21, 2004, 2:20 PM   #1

One thing to preface this: "6 color" printers are NOT truly 6 color. They're 4+2 color, with the extra light inks added to compensate for visable droplet size. A 6 color is really just a 4 color with a workaround for it's droplet size.

A true continuous tone device like a dye-sub uses only 4 colors, becasue it can make each color as light as it wants. 8 color printers with additional blues and reds to increase gamut, are actually 6 color printers, plus the additional light shades to compensate for visable droplet size.

The perfect printer would have droplets small enough to produce continuous tone, and would need no light inks.

Having said that the questionn is: has the 1pl 4clr reached that point, and is it equal or superior to the 2pl droplet with 4+2clr when producing subtle shades which the light inks are designed for?

btw, some people have metnioned the ip5000 produces light prints on it's highest resolution. That seems to be a driver issue, and the workaround is increasign density by around 10% in drivers. It is not a limitation of the printer, and it will print as saturated and dark as one wants.
Tucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 22, 2004, 10:24 PM   #2

so what you are saying is that i can go for a 4 color and get the same results or pay big bucks and get the 8 color....so out of the four color what one makes you happy.:?

If im reading it right oh all the confusion ..I wish i could just go and buy one and be happy but i always research everything then its boils down to 3 and i can't decide till i know everything..i need my head checked huh!!:?

Thank you for getting back to me....Laura
fotomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2004, 10:51 PM   #3

Actually, my post was part fact, part question.

The fact part is 6color printers with lightened C + M, are really just 4 color, adding light inks to compensate for droplets too large to dither small pixles fine enough to appear continuous tone. If a printer gets small enough droplets, it essentially become continuous tone, without needing light inks. Also, a printer with additional colors, like red and blue, in addition to CMYK, may get wider gamut from the addition. But, I'm only comparing CMYK to CvMmYK.

So, the questions was put to people who have compared the i960+ series (CcMmYK 2pl) and the ip5000 (CMYK 1pl):

Is the ip5000's 1pl small enough and does it make the light inks unecessary? -OR- Is 1pl still not small enough, and are the 4+2 color printers still superior?

Btw, here are some opinions I've read in other fora, and my answer to them:

1) "the ip5000 looks better than the i850"... Well the i960 already looks better than the i850.

2) "the ip5000 looked weak in color" ... it's known default print settings produce light prints. Reviewers say manually adjusting the density 10% produces juicy prints. The ip5000 uses the same inks as the 4000, and the 960 additionally only has lighter inks, so there is no reason why the ip5000 can't print as dark/saturated as any other canon.

3) "6 inks always look better than 4 inks"... All else being equal, more inks look better. However, once the droplet gets small enough, light colorsed inks are

4) "my i9900 looks better than the 5000" well, that's not suprising, it has additional inks to increase the gamut.

Anyways, hope this is helpful to someone. :-) And hopefully some ip5000 owners can post thier opinions.
Old Dec 23, 2004, 6:52 AM   #4

I saw the same picture processed with the 5000 & 6000, and one from my i960. The pictures on the i960 looked better than both the 5000 & 6000. There seemed to be banding on those two printers.
joelw135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2004, 10:58 AM   #5

That's odd, I wonder if you saw a fair test then. Were the 500 and 6000 calibrated, or just in the store?

The 5000 & 6000 use the same technology as your 960, so they should band any more. The do have less nozzels, so need more passes, which hypothetically could cause banding, but only more of the same banding as the 960 would have if that were true.
Old Jun 3, 2005, 6:29 AM   #6

I have th ip5000 now and it's the best out of the 4000, 6000, & 960.

The small droplet size is a big improvement, but one must be sure to print on quality "1" setting. On QL1 it's drops are so small it does light tones easilly with no visable droplets or grain. The small droplet also helps prevent areas of shading transition from medium to dark from becoming grainy.

Also, prints can be as vivid as one wants simply by turning up "intensity" or enabling "vivid."

Overall, all future printers should be 1pl and lose the extra light inks. It wouldn't suprise me if they're kept just to sell inks though.

Old Jun 3, 2005, 12:58 PM   #7

Is it necessary to turn up intensity on any other setting beside the highest quality (1) on the 5000?

H
bigboyhf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2005, 6:35 PM   #8

Not sure if prints on QL 5-2 require increased intensity, as I always print QL1.

Regardless, all intensity does is bias the printer to lay down slightly more or less ink, and since the Canon line uses the same inks, in terms of color potential they're going to be identical.

Once you find a value you prefer, you just save it to a preset or even default. It's not difficult.
Old Jun 22, 2005, 1:33 AM   #9

:blah:I have an IP 5000 and love it. I printed the same picture on the ip6000d and the IP5000. After turning on the "vivid" photo, the ip5000 print then looked as good as the ip6000d. I have the i9900 as well, and there's no comparison as well. I like to have both machines.
iSAPS Guy is offline   Reply With Quote