Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Nov 3, 2002, 8:55 AM   #1

Default 4 color vs 6 color

help , i'm confussed , about to purchase a photo printer, want outstanding results, which should i buy 4 or 6 color, what are the draw backs? thanks kindly
jmarvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 3, 2002, 9:37 AM   #2
NHL

6-color will produce oustanding results, ie the like of Epson 785EPX and the 1270 which I have; However, I also have the older PhotoSmart 3-color + black that through layering technique produce quite excellent result as well! if you're not that critical and look at the pictures side by side under a magnifying glass you'll think they are of equal quality.

I use both only for the fact that with the HP78 ($48 @ Costco) high capacity cartridge (they also make a smaller HP78 cartridge which is not as efficient) I can print 130+ 8x10 glossy photo making it the cheapest per print cost. The Epson will need 4 smaller (5-color + black) cartridges for the same feat so I use them only for the more critical shots!

BTW theses printer don't use black cartridge for pictures, only the newer printers now do...

Here's other opinions:

http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...838&highlight=
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2002, 11:31 AM   #3

thanks a bunch for the info !!
jmarvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2002, 12:32 PM   #4

The HP5550 has the ability to print 4 color or 6 color. I would suggest going to a local retailer ie, Best Buy, Circuit City, Office Depot, etc.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2002, 1:20 PM   #5

HEad for the canon or the latest epson due out on the market in two weeks the epson 960. You should get the 6 color printer because all 4 color printers with exception of epson only use 3 colors when they print photos. The Hp I noticed uses some but it does not do a good job with the quality of the black. Basically if you have shiny black paint and theres a reflection in it the HP wont show it well. Also watch out for the HP printing costs for a simple 4x6 its almost a dollar. Plus the HP only does 4x6 edge to edge. The canon does 4x6 and full size letter; the epson does 4x6,5x7,8x10,letter all edge to edge.
Gregersonsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote