Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Nov 5, 2002, 11:53 PM   #1

Default Epson 820...yuck!

Well, I decided to try an Epson printer again, after having problems with an earlier model. Guess what? Same problems, maybe even worse. I like to print shots of my son, and despite hours of manipulation, I just can't get rid of the 'magenta caste' in skin tones and on my grey carpet background. Printing 4X6's is impossible, because any grey or darker areas come out with'striations' that totally ruin the picture. Here is a sample:http://www.pbase.com/image/6872101
If I print the same pic at 8X10 size or 8.5X11, the striations are gone. But the magenta cast isn't. What gives? I've tried Epson, Kodak and HP glossy photo paper, and I've tried all the Epson software options (ie 'enhance photo, Epson color, etc) and can't remedy the problem. Back to my HP Photosmart which has far superior color matching and NO STRIATIONS!
marcoangels is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 10, 2002, 1:15 PM   #2

two things here look like your problem. First of all you dont have the printer set at its highest setting. Second looks like you are using glossy photo paper and not premium gloss.

Also you need to do a printhead alignment.

When you want to set at maxium quality. do the following proccess

Print
click properties
click custom not photoenhance
then click the advanced button
next menu Now set your resolution/quality to 2880 or RPM or whatever the highest setting and choose your paper. I usually set for glossy film.
I usually leave at 1.8 gamma
Gregersonsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2002, 11:49 PM   #3

I will try your suggestions, but now I can't get the printer to 'print', red light is on, I used so much ink trying to find the right settings. Have you ever tried the generic cartridges? Any recommendations, I'll probably be using a lot more ink. By the way, the pic was printed on HP's highest quality gloss paper and I got the same results using the top of the line Kodak paper.
marcoangels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2002, 12:48 PM   #4

Looks like to many variables with that printer. Had the same printer and returned it. Go a hp and much happier with it. Lot less time to figure out to
vpatel98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2002, 4:42 PM   #5

The HP 3820 is a good 4 color printer that produces excellent output.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2002, 7:10 PM   #6

I've bought Epron compatible inks at this website for years with great success and good pricing:

www.carrotink.com
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2002, 2:57 AM   #7

OH yess I see your problem here. DOnt use HP paper on an epson printer. The only papers that I know have been tried and proven for an epson printer are. Hammermill canon and epson papers.
Gregersonsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote