Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jan 3, 2005, 5:44 AM   #1

Hi All

Can anyone help? I am wanting to buy a phot printer which will be used for photo printing and text printing. The photo quality should be as good as getting photo developed at shops. Also want to use it without turning PC on. Read a few reviews and cannot decide between Epson R300 or Canon Pixma IP4000. I dont want to spend more than about 100 pounds.

Which is the best one to go for? Or if you think there is another printer to consider please let me know?

Thanks for your help
Simon73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 18, 2005, 1:30 PM   #2

Hi Simon73
Well here goes, no one responded so I decided to take the plunge.
The Epson R300 I'm sure only has a single black tank, its basically a photo printer as opposed to an all-rounder, and read somewhere that it uses the extra colours faster than the main three, I can not be sure on this point.

The IP4000 has two blacks, the text one being a much larger tank than the photo black, simply one is dye and the other pigmant ink.
If you read my C62 (The woe of Epson) comment you will be correct in saying I am no friend of Epsons, but it is what I have experienced and about to replace my C62 with an ip4000/5000.
I understand that the IP inks are alot cheaper, they don't use chipped tank's, if you run out of a colour it will still print text BUT NOT greyscale images cos to do this it uses all three colours the actual print head is removable to boot but not with Epsons.
You get a colour down with Epson and the whole thing stops. A good review apart from Steves is Photo-i (ok I admit its the 5000 and not the 4000) but it will give you an idea. Good luck

David
Gtr. Manchester
davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2005, 12:56 AM   #3

thanks for your advise much appreciated
Simon73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2005, 12:58 AM   #4

Take my advice and go for the Canon IP4000. It's fantastic. Far bettyer than my 3 previous Epson's, in every way.
pbar is offline   Reply With Quote