Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jan 4, 2005, 6:15 AM   #1

:sad:Like so many others I have used this site for several years and not got involved in the forums. This is my first shot so please be patient.

Background: I have a pentium 4 with 1 gig of ram. I am using Photoshop CS and just purchased an IP8500 based on Steve's review. I don't have or can I afford the equipment required to do sufisticated monitor and printer calibration.

I recalled in one of Steve's reviews of the Pixma series he talked about having to make some printer setup changes to get the colors close to WYSWYG but I can't seem tofind them.

Here are my questions.

1. Can you rent the equipment need to do proper color matching?

2. Does anyone have experience that could give me a starting point in the printer setup.

3. Any articles or sites that talk about doing color setups that are written for the average person? I have tried to understand PS Color Profiles and remain confused.

I know this is a long post and I appologize. Just need someone with some solid knowlege and experience to point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance,
pmbryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 4, 2005, 9:48 AM   #2

Photoshop has a monitor calibration tool (Adobe Gamma) that works fairly well. Maybe that is an overstatement compared to dedicated software and equipment, but most people end up with prints a lot closer to the monitor when they use it. You might try the monitor calibration targets for Adobe Gamma linked here:
http://www.drycreekphoto.com/Learn/m...alibration.htm

Good instructions:
http://www.computer-darkroom.com/ps7-colour/ps7_2.htm

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2005, 4:11 AM   #3

Really appreciate the advise. I have now spent time on Dry Creek and am going through their advise.

Had looke at Adobe Gamma in previsous editions of Photoshop but hadn;t done much with it.

Here is a new question. Is Adobe Gamma no longer a part of Photoshop. I thought maybe I had failed to load it on my initial install. Uninstalled CS and reloaded it from my original CS disc and I still can't find it. I am sure I am missing something but not sure what.

Any thoughts and thanks again so much for the great links.
pmbryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2005, 8:26 AM   #4
Administrator

pmbryant wrote:
Quote:
Here is a new question. Is Adobe Gamma no longer a part of Photoshop. I thought maybe I had failed to load it on my initial install.
I don't use CS. But, with previous versions of Photoshop, you'd see the icon for Adobe Gamma inWindow'sControl Panel.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2005, 4:55 PM   #5

I have an iP8500 and love it. I did have to adjust the manual color controls for great photos. So far the best results were: magenta -15, black+3 Intensity +4. ICM off.

Good Luck
jermar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2005, 4:25 AM   #6

i found the best for my IP5000 is to turn colour management OFF in photoshop, and then manually change the printer colour adjustment to magenta +6 and yellow -29. ICM off
clem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2005, 1:13 AM   #7

For my IP4000, I tend to turn colour management off in Photoshop CS and select Manual and None under the printer preferences colour options, or sometimes Manual and Photo. But I always use Canon papers, using Epson photo papers, the results are way different (different colours and darker results).
pbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2005, 9:10 AM   #8

I'm new at this, so bear with me...but how can one person say that they changed their magenta to -15 and the next person said he adjusted the magenta to +6. Can printers/ink be that different???
brissy is offline   Reply With Quote