Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jan 5, 2005, 8:52 AM   #1

Since mostof these printers havea seperate black ink cartridge for text printing only, does this mean you can still print black text only if one of the other color cartridges run out? This would be so nice if it would - since my current printer is rendered useless wheneverI run out of one of the colored inks but my black ink cartridge could still be almost completely full!

Thanks for any information.
jreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 5, 2005, 11:49 AM   #2

I have an iP4000 and just looked in the useless online manual. It doesn't say. I refill my cartridges and don't let them go dry, so I can't tell you from experience either.

But as a general rule a general-purpose printer will print black text with the color cartridges empty. You can't print a grayscale picture because they mix the colors to give gray, so your grayscale picture will be colored if one of the color tanks is empty. Canon printers really don't know when the sponge is dry anyway as they measure the ink in the reservoir. So it is very unlikely anything will shut down with a color empty.

Epson printers have chips in the cartridges and shut the printer down when the printer calculates a cartridge is empty. It protects the heads from running empty and also makes refilling more difficult and aftermarket cartridges more expensive. Some of the business HPs do that as well, but most of the consumer models don't – at least they didn't through the 900 series which I had. But I would be very surprised if the Canon printers stop printing black text when a color went empty.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2005, 11:58 AM   #3

Thanks for the information, that's good to know.
Old Jan 5, 2005, 3:16 PM   #4

I once hooked up only a black cartridge and it still printed text.
Azzkikr1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2005, 8:34 AM   #5

ThanksAzzkikr1337,that definitely answers the question then. Now there's no doubt!