Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jan 6, 2005, 1:03 AM   #1

When printing on photo quality paper (with the correct paper setting selected in the driver) my printouts tend to lose detail in dark areas of the picture. If someone is stood in front of a dark brown door with stripes for example, the door would appear very dark, so much so that the stripes would be non existent. Even though they would be there on screen. All printouts have been excellent quality, truly superb with this printer, but dark areas print out too dark! I'm sure there must be a driver setting which would cure this, any ideas anyone? This is a truly superb printer, just wish I could solve this one little thing. It's far better than the 3 Epson's I've had (and suffered with - banding, clogged heads, aarrgghh!) before. Thanks
pbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 11, 2005, 12:50 AM   #2

Solution found! Under the printer properties, there's a colour option, which by default is set to Auto. Choose Manual and go into the settings under that. There, by default Photo is selected. This means that the printer adjusts colours and contrast as it sees fit, per image. Change this to None, and the printer prints out exactly as what you see on the screen. Very, very accurate colours this way I've found, whether it's a photo, graphic, text or whatever that's being printed. Now I'm printing my photos as they appear on screen and as I intend, and not as the printer sees fit!
Old Jan 12, 2005, 8:28 AM   #3

Good work pbar, thanx for the solution. I'm trying to build up a list of pros and cons to help me choose between the ip4000, ip5000 and Epson r310
clem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2005, 5:58 PM   #4

Yes, I too am glad I found that out. This is one truly great printer. I would advise anyone to buy it. By far the best I've used, and I've owned 3 Epson's before this and used numerous Epson & HP printers at work but I love the Canon IP4000. If you were to offer me a lifetime of free Epson printers & cartridges in exchange for my Canon I would not take it. Forget the Epson and choose either of the Canon's. Don't know a great deal about the IP5000, but I wouldn't hesitate in buying that also. But for the price (£99 for the IP4000) it cannot be beaten. So far I've found it to be faultless.
Old Jan 30, 2005, 3:07 PM   #5

After further experimentation, the culprit seems to be the Epson papers I used. Printing from my Canon IP4000 onto Epson photo paper produced dark results with poor colour matching. However the same images (and the exact same printer settings) printed onto Canon photo paper produced bright images that exactly matched the colours on screen. I know Epson & Canon printers use different inks but I didn't realise how much the results are affected by different makes of paper. My Canon IP4000 printing onto Canon papers produces the best results I have ever seen. Amazing. And this is with all settings on default/auto except for the paper type setting and paper size.