Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jan 10, 2005, 9:14 AM   #1

After two emails and one call to canon I still am non the wiser and thought one of you guys might be able to help.

I simply want to print directly to CDR from software other than "CDlabel print", as supplied by canon. Their software works fine but is not the most elegant design and besides, I already have designs in photoshop etc that I would like to print without exporting/importing between photoshop and CDLabel Print.

I have experimented with a page size in photoshop of 13.1x23.88cm (the size of the CD caddy and the page that is generated if I "print to PDF" from the CDLabel Print software), but I just get a printer error when I try to print. I suspect its important not to be feeding an image that would be beyond the confines of the CD dimensions (ie printer won't want to be printing on the plastic of the CD caddy!) but even if I try to print a blank image there is an error. I have tried printing a block dot in various locations on the page but its the same result.

I'm wondering if canon has purposely blocked the ability to print to CDR from any software other than its own.

If anyone has managed to make any template in photoshop that works or just has any info on this matter I would be most interested. I'd also like to use Discuss (www.magicmouse.com) - anyone managed CDR printing using this software?

I use a mac, for the record.

Thanks in advance
Drumhum is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 10, 2005, 5:20 PM   #2

An answer I've discovered! Seems the rather nice software from magicmouse, discus does in fact work with this printer - it's just not listed on their website yet. Highly recommended - much better than the software canon give you.

I must gripe about the terrible Canon support. After asking for details needed to print to CDR (page size, resolutions, disc location on page etc) they just say I must contact adobe or whoever makes the software I use! Very unhelpful and wrong! sigh ... seems we just have to get used to this from the bigger companies.
Old Jan 11, 2005, 4:09 AM   #3

Hope you don"t mind me butting in on your Canon stuff,But I have printed many CDs on my Epson R210 using PS.I had a similar problem untill I realised that I could import directly into Epson CDprint if I made the PS canvas size the same overall dimensions as a CD--- 118mm x 118mm--- just save as JPG at 150 or 300 dpi, they just open in CDprint and no resizing is needed,I know the Canon software is not the same but could it help? I could not open the JPGs in CDprint using the "open" command,had to use the "import" command.
fperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2005, 7:53 AM   #4

Butt away fperry!
I'm sure your suggestion will work as CDLabel Print will import JPGs. Its just become a bit of a mission for me to able to print directly from whatever software I like. As far as I understand any software simply sends the image to the print driver, so to speak, which is written by canon, and then the driver talks to the printer. I believe the print errors I get are due to the document (eg from photoshop) not being suitable to give to the print driver and canon will know what makes the document suitable. They will know what the document's parameters need to be to get a successful print. I don't see why Adobe should know and certainly don't see why canon (after 2 emails and a call) can't tell me. Is it a secret? Is it some sort of plot to stop us using software other than canon's? What are they hiding and why?

conspiracy theories welcome
Old Jan 12, 2005, 3:30 AM   #5

I really had not given it much thought afterI had figured how to get it from PS to the printer,Yes,same with Epson,converts it to an "ec3" (whatever that is) before printing, I too would love to hear a conspiracy theory.
fperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2005, 9:41 AM   #6

I have no problem printing to the CD tray from any software. I typically use Quark with images placed into the Quark document from Photoshop.

The only thing you have to make sure of is that paper source let's you choose CD tray and that the media type is printable disk. Depending on the type of computer and the software used these settings appear in different menus.
jassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2005, 9:55 AM   #7

Any observations regarding resolution - ie is there an optimum res to print at? does a high res setting really make a difference? etc

what are the page dimensions and where is the CD located on the page?

Just to be cheeky - perhaps you could make output a page to pdf and post it here (I think you can do this)?

Good to know its possible anyway

Cheers
Old Jan 12, 2005, 10:14 PM   #8

Drumhum wrote:
[quote]Any observations regarding resolution - ie is there an optimum res to print at? does a high res setting really make a difference? etc

Didn't try this. When the carrier is drawn into the printer, it is moved in and out several times. I suspect the printer is reading the reflective areas of the carrier to determine the exact position. Once that's done it prints reasonably quickly (about the same time it takes to print a 4x6 photo.

what are the page dimensions and where is the CD located on the page?
Page dimensions 5.1575" wide 9.4" high
CD center 5.75 down, 2.57 from left
jassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2005, 2:00 PM   #9

:idea:I may have found a solution for you. I print in adobe photoshop because the cd-label print did not cover all the areas I wanted. To print with photoshop, it is very easy. I set my outercd size to 11.85cm, and the inner size you will have to use a ruler to measure it (2 size: full surface or regular surface).

Once your CD covers are finished designing, select to print from adobe photoshop, and then select the printer, then go to properties of the printer, select the media to printable disc. When you click ok, a dialogue should pop up saying that you need to change the page dimensions from "A4" (or your current default size)to CD-R Tray B. Click on change and your CD will confirm printing. Once the software says to insert your printable CD and resume, hit "cancel" (very important). You only need to do this once until you close photoshop. If you start it up again, you have to repeat this step.

You are now back in photoshop menu. Now go to File-> print with preview. Untick the center image. You now have the option of setting the location. Your upper should be close to 5.61 if you set thedisk dimension to 11.85cm. All you have to do is simply change the upper from 5.61 to "8.4". Hit ok and start printing. For every CD/DVD that you want to print,when photosohp is not closed,just keep specifying theupper to "8.4"Now you don't need the CD-Label print software anymore (I already uninstalled it). Hope that helps.
Azzkikr1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2005, 3:14 PM   #10

Nice one Azzkikr!
Just the sort of info that helps to get closer to a solution. I haven't tried your instructions yet. I'm wondering if the "print-then-cancel" can be avoided by selecting CD-tray in the paper size section of the "page set-up" from the file menu (using a mac here!)

Either way - good to know that someone is printing from Photoshop and good to know its all possible!

But what a mess this all is! I am so disappointed in Canon. There is clearly some do's and don'ts to printing to CD and they won't tell us what they are! WHY??????