Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Nov 12, 2002, 12:03 AM   #1

Default Canon i550 & i850 SAME?

Does anybody have any experience with the new canon i550? i've read a lot about the i850 on this site, and on the canon.com site, when compared, the only difference between them seems to be the speed (and the price). Is there some other difference that accounts for the extra cost, or is speed the only factor?

Thanks, in advance, for any help
-Aline Claire
Aline Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 19, 2002, 10:47 PM   #2

Aline,

The i550 is an all purpose printer. The i850 is listed under the photo printer section on the Canon website. The biggest difference besides speed is that the i850 has 1600 nozzles and the i550 has 1008. This should translate into better details in photos along with greater speed. I noticed a difference in the store. I'm a part-time photographer so I'd get the i850. But if I only wanted to print an occasional photo, I'd get the i550. Both printers sold out within hours of arriving at the store. The Canon Rep was a professional photographer, he was taking snapshots with a digital camera and printing them out on the printers, very impressive quality for both printers.

Bill
wsandman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2002, 1:33 AM   #3

Thanx for the info
I have an i550 sitting on my comp desk now, and I've experimented with printing a few pix already. I compared them with a copy of the same print that I had made with my old Epson 740 (before its heads got severely clogged), and they were comparable, though the epson had more vivid colours (the canon was actually more realistic i suppose hehehehe)
The second thing I will mention is that, on the i550, I printed a colourful 4x6 on the sample canon photopaper, and then I printed the exact same image on epson photopaper (I had a brand new package and I HAD BEEN sad that I was not going to be able to use it....) but to my surprise, the epson paper worked fine! Supposedly, on the i850, epson paper makes a mess, and I am speculating that the extra speed that the i850 is the cause of the mess. The i550, being slower, most likely allows the ink to set a bit longer before rushing the paper along, therefore letting me use the cheaper and more accessible epson paper... yay!
Aline Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2002, 11:17 AM   #4

Default RE: Thanx for the info

Aline,

I regularly use Epson paper on my Canon S9000. The Canon rep at the store uses more Epson paper than Canon paper in his demos. I especially line the semi-gloss and the archival matte Epson papers. Canon has reacted to the widespread use of Epson papers by Canon owners by creating two new paper types: Photo glossy plus and the photo matte papers. Both are fairly cheap compared to the Photo paper pro. Try Red River or Pictorico papers. I think you will be surprised. If you like the vivid colors go in the printer driver, effects section and select the vidid photo option. It will give you more vidid colors than the default setting. This is really good for certain landscapes or architectual photos. I often use it to create a postcard effect.

Bill
wsandman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2002, 11:26 PM   #5

Default difference between i850 and i550

The major differences are of course the speed and the higher nozzle count that were already mentioned, but the biggest difference is the i850 has a 2pl. drop size that is used in detail areas of photos vs. the 5pl. drop of the i550.

If you looked at a print off the i550 you would be very impressed and think it was of excellent quality, but it does not compare to the i 850 print. The i850 print is brighter, has less grain and much better color reporduction.
rodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2002, 2:08 AM   #6

The biggest difference between these printers is that the i850 has a 2 picoliter drop and the i550 has a 5 picoliter drop. The Human eye can just barely see 3 picoliters. Basically this means you will get what epson has been giving you for years. Pictures without the dots. Although your black and dark areas will be very weak with this printer since it uses the 3 colors to make photo black. Because it only does 600x600 on black printing.

Not a bad printer for speed. Its black text is a bit weak tends to bleed but acceptable for 600 dpi. For photos it looks smooth but the tones will be a bit on the light side. <--- meaning a bit less contrast. Looking like someone just applied the brightness to the picutre without upping the contrast.

I'm kinda biased towards epson since I have 2 of thier printers and an HP all of which have been running flawlessly for two years going into third year Excpet for the HP which is moving into its 7th year of use. I print over 1000 pages a month outa my epson 980. The HP I use on my second computer along with my epson photo printer. I use the HP for quick text since it got replaced by the 980. I use my photo printer for photos although I'm thinking about trading in my printer for another epson photo printer. I'm thinking the photo 960.
Gregersonsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote